It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Another confused newbie w/ test results :) (long, sorry)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
    iwonder
    (female)

iwonder HB User
    Question Another confused newbie w/ test results :) (long, sorry)

Hi, I have read so many knowledgable replies on here that I just couldn't resist asking for help as well . Most of you know more then my GP, but I live in a very small town so have limited options available to me. She said that my test look like I have either hyperT or early hashimoto's thyroiditis (sp?) but reading certain sites hashimoto's is hypoT. Is that correct, how could I have either hyper or hypo. I am also 27 weeks pregnant so she said I would have to wait until at least 10-12 weeks post-partum so I could do a thyroid scan and a radio-active nucleur something or other, because she can not make a definite diagnosis without those being done. Does this sound accurate? I just can't stand the thought of living with all these symptoms for another 23-25 weeks.
    I have low body temperature (never goes above 97.4, in her office its usually in the high 95's), get flushed feeling all the time, always hot, but if its a little bit cold I am freezing, hands and feet are always like ice, some days I feel like I can't get out of bed because I am so tired, other days I feel like everything in my body is moving too fast (has a couple times triggered panic attacks but I have learned to control those), my throat is always dry and sore and has a feeling of pressure on it, my voice usually sounds hoarse (usually get the comment "oh, your losing your voice") and I am often dizzy (room spinning, or feeling like I am falling) especially when I stand up too long. I know that many of these things can be preg-related. I just called to get the numbers for my test results and this is what they gave me (sorry, I am pretty naive as far as what they mean) The first set is the most recent, and the 2nd set is from when my ob/gyn clinic did routine blood test. Is it normal to change that much in just 2 months? Oh yeah, the baby is due July 4th.

04/03/06
    TSH-- 1.78
    Tuptake--- 20
    FTI--2.6
    Thyroxine--13.04 (this is the one they said was elevated but wouldn't be causing all my symptoms)

02/06/06
    TSH--0.91
    T4free--0.8

As I said, I am not sure what any of these are or what they mean. Is she right do I really have to wait another 5-6 months to find out what is
    going on? Should I just put all this down as preg-related? ANY advice would be most appreciated!!! Thank you so much if you have gotten this far in my rambling post

Last edited by iwonder; 04-06-2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User
    Re: Another confused newbie w/ test results :) (long, sorry)

Okay, you will probably need to take control of this situation because they really aren't ordering the right tests.

You need:
    Thyroid antibody panel (Not just TPO abs, but TSI and TG)
    Free T4 and Free T3 (They did total thyroxine last time, not very useful because the hromones of pregnancy increase the binding proteins and falsely elevate the total - this is why you need to test the FREE hormone which is not protein-bound).

Repeat TSH

Thyroid disease in pregnancy needs to be closely monitored, it can affect the baby. Alsdo make sure you are getting your vitamins and getting enough iron in your diet as nutritional deficiencies could trigger some thyroid problems.

If your doctor refuses for some reason to order these tests, look into Healthcheck uSA to get them yourself. Don't be bullied by your doctor. This is really important to straighten out.

Ellie

Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

OOOOPS! I was typing while ellie was posting also. I agree with all she said, so read my post knowing some things will be duplicate what ellie said. Thanks..._______________________________ ______________

Hello, and welcome to the board. I actually have graves/hyperT. I do not have hashi's but I'll try to clarify some things for you. And maybe one of our hashi's experts can pop in here too.

First some definitions...
    TSH = Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (chemical made by pituitary gland to tell thyroid to make more hormone.)
    T4 = Thyroid hormone made by the thyroid
    T3 = Small amounts of T3 are made by the thyroid. Majority of the T3 supply is converted from the T4. T3 is the hormone most used by the body for function.
    Note: when listing labs please include the ranges. Each lab may use different ranges.

To say you have hashimoto's you need to have anti-thyroid antibodies tested.
    TPO - Thyroid Perioxidase antibody
    Tg - Thyroglobulin antibody

Hashi's has elevated antibody levels of those listed above. With hashi's it is possible to swing hypoT to hyperT and back. So yes it is possible to have hashi's and be hyperT.

While we are on antibodies....Graves disease has antibodies that stimulate the thyroid by immitating the TSH. These are the TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin). TSI is the difinitive marker for graves. There are also other things that cause hyperT.

I can understand the dr not wanting to expose the fetus to radiocative substances. Those are used in the "scan" and with one of the treatments for hyperT. Diagnoses can also be made by a sonogram of the thyroid and blood tests of the antibodies listed above and thyroid hormone levels.

Some drs do not know how to treat hyperT. So they jump to the permenant treatment options which are surgery or RAI. Either of these will leave you hypoT for life. You can also take antithyroid drugs to block the over production of thyroid hormone. There are alternatives available also. I am currently using supplements and dietary changes to bring my levels down. I recently dropped to the bottom of the "normal" range. So don't let anyone tell you alternatives do not work. Of course, keep in mind, there are risks with every treatment option. Educate yourself on each. Its your health.

Being preg. may actually be a good thing. Kinda. It sounds like your dr doesn't want to treat you til after the baby gets here. This will give you plenty of time to do your research.

Meanwhile, I recommend you avoid iodine, dairy, caffene, artifical sweetners, processed foods. All these foods are known to stimulate/aggravate thyroid conditions. (The thyroid uses iodine to make thyroid hormones. It is the only thing in the body that uses iodine.) I highly recommend you searching online anything along this train of thought. (foods, hyperthyroidism, alternatives.....) Also, avoid things that stimulate the metabolism. As your thyroid regulates the metabolism, I believe they are one and the same.

Things do get better. First.....do you have any heart problems? If you do you need to get a beta blocker from your dr. Not everyone that is hyperT will have heart issues. I don't. But we are at risk of them. Hopefully your dr is not willing to wait to treat heart issues. (for obvious reasons)

There is alot of info on the net about hyperT, hashi's, and graves. Due to restrictions on this baord I cannot list my favorite places about thyroid. But get out there and search to your hearts content and get informed.

Research, research, research........YeeHaw! Ok my turn to quit rambling.

Best wishes
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Last edited by hyperkim; 04-06-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Great explaination, Hyperkim!! I learned a lot!! Now if I can just remember it!
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
    iwonder
    (female)

iwonder HB User

Yes! Great explanation. Thank you so much!! My doctor said she won't put me on beta-blockers because of the pregnancy and she said there was still no point in doing those tests you mentioned until after the baby is born. Well, I took matters in my own hands and got an appointment with an endocrinologis. Luckily for me my midwife is extremely supportive but openly admits to not being well-informed about thyroid issues, but was more then happy to give me the needed referral.
    I do have some heart problems, I have been putting it down to preg-related issues. I notice that more often then not it feels like it is working too hard, if that makes sense, or at other times it will skip a beat and then race to catch up. Is that part of thyroid problems also? Lol, I do need to start researching all of this don't I?
    Again, thank you so much fpr your help, if it wasn't for your info about the tests I would have just went along with her and waited until after the baby was born to get some answers. I am not sure if I am allowed to ask this or not (so, if not, IM SORRY) but have any of you heard of Wilson's Low Temperature Syndrome? The receptionist when I was listing my symptoms said...."hmmm, could be Wilson's Syndrome" and I did google it but it didn't sound like it was a very recognized illness (not that means a whole lot

THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

I have heard of Wilson's but I don't know anything about it.

Sometimes endo's tend to have a "god" complex. I wish you luck with your appt. Don't let them bully you.

There is a dr that specializes in high risk pregnancies. I just don't know what they are called. That might be your best bet since you are having heart issues and hyperT while pregnant. I have known people to take heart meds while pregnant. The dr would need to know how to monitor you while on them. At least your dr seems to not be willing to go beyond his/her range of knowledge. Thats a good thing.

Best wishes,
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Closed Thread