It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• ct scan with contrast-reaction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    ct scan with contrast-reaction?

I had a ct scan around April 8 to check my adrenal glands for a tumor(they found a small 7mm one) and I had to drink a contrast. I'm pretty sure it was an iodine-contrast, because they asked me if I was allergic to iodine. Of course I'm not, but have always thought I felt "bad" if I ate too many iodine foods over a few days.

Over the next few weeks I developed a fast pulse and a spikey-kind of b/p. I ended up in the e.r.(for the first time ever) with a pulse of 120 and a b/p of 180/?. I was hot and panicky, also.

Now, two weeks later I feel fine. It just dawned on me my e.r. trip MAY have been related to the iodine contrast. Is that possible? I do have one nodule. Do you think it could have picked up the iodine? My labs at the e.r. showed a tsh of 2.86(.5 - 5.0) and t4 6.9 (4.5 - 10.9). I wish they would have tested my t3-isn't that the one that would have been elevated if my nodule was "hot" with the iodine?

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User
    Re: ct scan with contrast-reaction?

It sure sounds like a reaction to me. Have you mentioned it to your dr yet?

YOu might request an iodine allergy test. Or (if you are confident enough that it was a reaction to the iodine) you can just flat out say you don't want another "contrast" test due to the reaction you had.

Do some reasearch about iodine contrast die reactions on the net and see what you come up with. You might come up with enough to print out and take to your dr to show your concerns.

Hope this helps.
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 05-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

I guess what I really wanted to know is if it could have caused a hyper problem. I'm euthroid, but always have hyper symptoms. I was curious if maybe my nodule is an autonomous functioning nodule, but my numbers stay euthroid. Doesn't a functioning nodule pull up the iodine and make hormone with it? I'm sure if it was a true allergy, I would have had some kind of reaction right away.

Karen

Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Yes, I think it could have caused a hyper problem. Symptoms at least, although it probably wouldn't show up on your labs.

You're levels may have only had a temporary increase then went right back down. And you "felt" that increase for several days after the fact. You would have had to have labs at the exact moment the levels were increased. Which would be very hard to do. Almost a luck shot if you did catch it.

I know when I eat something I am not supposed to I will feel it for the first several days. But it may be a week or two before I return to "normal" like before I ate it. Probably more of an intolerance than an allergy.

Just a thought
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Old 05-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

I agree that an allergic reaction would be expected within minutes or hours, not days or weeks.

But to be safe you should mention it and insist on close monitoring if you're ever given iodine again.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
    b&wcats
    (female)

b&wcats HB User

a quick story about contrast dye -- I went to the ER last month for stomach pain and they ct scanned me and they asked me to do the iodine contrast thing and I happened to mention (again and again) that I was a newly diagnosed hypo person in case it would matter and the excellent nurse on call said that, because I have 'thyroid problems" they would do it without that particular dye. They used some other kind that wouldn't possibly "give complications." I didn't feel well enough to ask for further info on what complications they were talking about. They said that if the first scan didn't show enough they would do the iodine IV thing but it was worth the potential risk of additional radiation to avoid the dye. So apparently someone out there knows something!

Old 05-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
    christine25
    (female)

christine25 HB User

IODIDE INDUCED THYROTOXICOSIS (IIT) is what most likely happened here.

Being a hypersenstive individual with a pre existing thyroid nodule condition, what you prob reacted to was most likley an overdose of iodine. The iodine in contrast dye is highly concentrated and readily absorbed into your blood stream, and thyroid.

The fast heart beat and delayed reactions make perfect textbook sense, Iodine induced thyrotoxicosis ,,, or ITT,,, heres a quote from a medical text book...
    "X-ray contrast agents also cause IIT. They contain between 30 - 50% of iodine and many grams are used for roentgenologic visualization of organs. Those patients who have multinodular goiter, or live in countries where iodine intake is low, for instance in parts of Germany and Italy (98), are especially at risk. Clinicians should be aware that IIT often develops several weeks after administration of X-ray contrast agents. Follow-up of such patients after X-ray procedures is therefore advisable and in some cases prophylactic administration of methimazole may be necessary. ([url]http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter13/Ch-13-5.htm[/url])

Yes Iodine causes delayed reactions, and there is no such thing as an iodine allergy, its more of a sensitivity, or intolerance than a true IgE allergy,,,its called the Wolff-Chaikoff effect which involves blockade of iodide organification and hormone synthesis by high intrathyroidal iodide.

read more about it on the website, heres the link...

[url]http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter13/Ch-13-5.htm[/url]

A TSH of 2.8 is a little high but still within normal limits.
    Maybe you should get a thyroid antibody test done, W/
    TPO and thyroglobulin. That would shed a lot of light on what might be going on also, if you have hashimotos.

Also I would avoid or cut down on iodine in general, iodine containing foods, the iodized salt, dairy, seaweed, sushi, soy, kelp tablets, seafood, red dyes, white bread, canned soups. These are some of the highest containg foods, and have been problematic foods for me. Most restaurants cook with iodized salt, so dont eat out so much, try and cook healthy meals at home for yourself.
    Also avoid betadine, T-Gel shampoo, liquid mineral supplements, and drugs that contain iodine.
    Also the drug prozac, ie fluoxetine, contains flouride which is a cousin of iodine,and can also adversely affect the thyroid.

My TSH was 2.9 this time last year, and I felt horrible, I had also notice that iodine made me feel worse after i ate it and the effect was delayed not instant. I would sprinkle the iodized salt packets down my thoat to expeiment and I realized that I felt so lousy afterwards, shaky and rapid heart rate and nervous and depssed, it happed a lot when I would eat out and the food had a lot of salt in it or when I would eat too much cheese. Since ive cut down on dairy and iodized salt and been on a low, not no idoine diet,,,, ive improved drasticly, my TSH is now 1.0

When I eat took much iodine I can feel it tho.... I have occasional slip ups when I indulge, or go out to eat with friends. IT usually takes a coupple days to recover. and I too can feel the nodules in my thyroid swell up when this happens.

i dont take any thryoid meds anymore, I just try to avoid iodine and I dont have the reactions and cripple myself. I cant imagine what x-ray contrast dye would do to me, id be feeling really bad!

hope this helps...

Last edited by christine25; 05-14-2006 at 11:22 PM.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Christine, That was a very informative post. Thanks for the link.
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Wow, Christine! You hit the nail on the head, I do believe! I'm sure that has got to be exactly what happened, as it built up to that horrible "toxic" level and then has gone done to normal since(the feeling). I wonder why the doc didn't recognize what was going on? I guess they don't take the time to put two and two together, like we do with each other on this board.

It is interesting to see t-gel shampoo on the list. I have some sitting in my shower. I have used it off/on for years. I use it once, then I lose any energy I have for a few days. So, I quit using it. Then, because I have such a great MEMORY, six months later I use it again. Same reaction. So it just sits there. Now I know why I can't use it, and why I feel so bad after I use it!

Thanks for finding all that info for me!

Karen

Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

One more thing. If people with nodules react to iodine like this, whether through diet or other things, wouldn't it be easier in the long run to just remove the thyroid and maintain on meds? That might prevent some of these ups and downs some of us have and don't know why. It would be nice to know every morning when you wake up that you'll have the great kind of day you had the day before, and the day before that....I hate waking up not knowing if I'm going to have energy that day, or I won't be doing much because of the fatigue or weakness. I've had a few wonderful days in a row and I don't know why, but I'm extremely thankful for them!

Karen

Old 05-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Sue.....................You said you had a small tumor on your adrenal gland. That's exactly why Dr. Arem ordered the 24 hr. urine test for me. I was having the bp spikes, anxiety, and increased heartrate. He said a tumor on adrenal would cause that. My test came back normal so I'm wondering if the iodine in my supplemlent could be contributing to it. My supplements have 225 mcg iodine. I asked him about that and he said that it could possibly cause me a problem but he didn't think so. So maybe it is. I have these problems 2 or 3 days every month or so. It is scary.

I wonder if iodine in supplement would have the same effect as iodine in tests.

Did you ever see Dr. Sessions? Or did you find a doctor?

I, like you, have thought about if it would be better to just have thyroid removed? But I have a 2 friends who had theirs killed out with RAI and they constantly have trouble regulating their meds and have to get frequent blood tests. I wonder if it would be the same way if you just had thyroid removed. Flustrating!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

I know up until my ct scan, I avoided "outright" iodine for the most part-no iodized salt in the house(we get take-out alot lately as I was not able to stand to cook much), and don't eat seafood hardly at all. I realize I was getting iodine from foods outside the house, but we do need some anyway. I feel if the thyroid wasn't there AT ALL, it would be easier to optimize meds.

The doctor said my 7mm adrenal adenoma was too small to contribute any catecholamines for my symptoms. My urine tests came out o.k., so I guess they were right on that point.

I was going to go to Dr. Sessions this week, but I'm actually feeling better than I've felt in 3 months, so I don't want to mess this feeling up! Make any sense? I'll go as soon as I feel bad again, and see if he can sort some of this out with me.

Karen

Old 05-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Karen,

It might not be a bad idea to go ahead and go into the dr. If they do labs while you are feeling good that might shed some light on your situation. At the least you can see where your "feel good" labs are. (For now anyway! LOL!) Just a thought

Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Last edited by hyperkim; 05-15-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Yea, Kim, you are right. I should go get my bloodwork done now. The problem is my son graduates high school Thursday, and my daughter graduates 8th grade next Wednesday. I'm praying this "well" feeling will hold up until this is all over, and then I will get blood work. I've had bloodwork make me weak and feel bad before, so that's why I'm hesitant.

Karen

Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Karen,

I know how you feel with graduation looming ahead. And the last week is usually full of activites to boot. I am amazed you are feeling good.

My first graduated last year. Now my baby is due to graduate Friday of next week. (They were 18 months apart. I don't recommend that to anyone either! LOL!)

So I full well understand the graduation times. And I hope you make it through it all still feeling well. As you say you can get labs later. But still the sooner the better.

Best wishes,
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08

Closed Thread