It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TPO Antibodies/Eye Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
    lbright
    (female)

lbright HB User
    TPO Antibodies/Eye Disease

I am currently taking Armour, since October 2005. I started having eye pain soon after, and finally I got a opthomologist to confirm that I have mile eyelid retraction in one eye and that eye is approx. 2 cm forward(bulging) then my left eye. My endo said that it could be from the T3 spike during the day from my Armour and that I should switch to Synthroid. Has anyone ever heard of this? My TPO antibodies were checked in August 2005 and were greater than 1000 with a range much lower than that. My TG anitbody was fine. How do you lower your antibodies? Any help would be appreciated. Should I make the switch from Armour to Synthroid(is there a difference between Synthroid and levothroid?)

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User
    Re: TPO Antibodies/Eye Disease

I detect (cough cough) BS!!!!!!!!

I've read a lot and NOWHERE have I read that TED is related to Armour. In fact, although thyroid disease is often associated with Graves hyperthyroidism, they are two separate entities - you can have Graves without TED, and TED without Graves. TED is thought to be caused by autoantibodies that react to the tissues behind the eye, but the true cause of this is still unknown.

If you are doing well otherwise on Armour, why not just split your dose to twice a day (many people take it AM and early afternoon to minimize and T3 "spikes").

Before you go switching, I'd suggest seeing an ophthalmologist who specializes in TED and getting a second opinion (unless of course you already know you do well on Synthroid).

Ellie

Old 05-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
    ttc1asap
    Inactive
    (female)

ttc1asap HB User

I thought of Graves.
    Some people can go hypo-hyper-hypo (or whatever) or have a combination of hyper and hypo symptoms.
    Ellie's suggestion re when to take your meds sounds good!
    I have Hashimoto's and looking back at photos of myself in the last year or so, I noticed my right eye is droopy and looks much smaller than the other one - eek.
    (Not that this comment applied to your post lol, just thought I'd throw that out there for future eye problem posters to relate to possibly).

Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I smell the same rotten baloney sausage that Ellie does.

TPOs don't cause TED. You need to be tested for TSIs. Even though you have Hashi's, you still can have TED apart from it and Graves', as Ellie said.

TED with Hashi's is rare, but it isn't unknown. You just need to find the right dr. who knows it's possible, and who can find the real cause if it turns out not to be from thyroid.
    Don't let them shrug you off. It isn't their eyes at risk.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
    lbright
    (female)

lbright HB User

Thank You all for your responses. What is strange is that my eye problems started just a few weeks after I started taking Armour. I still have the aches and pains in the legs and my hair continues to fall out so I guess you would say I am not doing all that well. I have never tried Synthroid so I do not know how I would react on it. I have seen an opthomologist that specializes in the surgery's to correct the retracting eyelid and or orbital surgery, however, I did not mention what the endo said about the t3. I did have my tsi checked and it was well within the range, on the low end. The Optho said I need a CT scan to make sure that there is nothing else going on but this doc is not in my insurance plan, I paid for him on my own, and the Optho that is will not order the scan. I will be changing from an HMO to a PPO and see a top doc endo but not until September. I guess I have to wait it out and hope that it does not get worse. I have seen the pictures of people with full blown TED and I do not want to one. This disease is so frustrating.

Laura

Closed Thread