It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I was just bitched out by a nurse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
    trinity2005
    (female)

trinity2005 HB User
    Angry I was just bitched out by a nurse

I was just diagnosed with Graves disease early last week. I had the uptake and scan. Will I have been having trouble with my eyes the past couple of weeks, headache, gritting feeling, watering eyes. I just called the doctors' office to see if there is anything i can do before my next appointment and I was bitched out by my doctors' nurse. She said you have eye problems you need to see an eye doctor!! I asked her if she had looked at my file she really got upset then and and said "I don't have time to read everyone's chart" I tried to explain that I was just diagnosed and she said "I don't have time for this, you didn't come to us for an eye problem would you see and eye doctor for a problem with your thyroid??" I asked to speak to someone else after that. I am so upset i feel like my life as been turned upside down, my eyes hurt and i have to deal with a crazy nurse. Everything is moving too fast for me right now.

Trinity2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User
    Re: I was just bitched out by a nurse

{{{{{{{}}}}}}} aww sweetie. Count your blessings. At least it's only your eyes. You could be a raving lunatic like her. I hope you were able to talk to someone else. And let them know she's a jerk.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
    trinity2005
    (female)

trinity2005 HB User

I did talk with the head nurse and my appointment has been moved up to tomorrow. Maybe I am a lunatic I was just fired from my job last week also.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Oh my, that was awful! (((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) - to you.

Kharma is right - TELL THE DOCTOR what she said to you. Also, a nice little note would not be a bad idea. You could hand it to him personally to make sure he gets it - others in the office open the mail and may not give it to him.

She needs to go somewhere else to work - like emptying bed pans and mopping the floor! Where do some people get off?
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 05-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
    SarahF
    Veteran
    (female)

SarahF HB User

Definitely turn that *lady* in.
    That was uncalled for.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SarahF
    Definitely turn that *lady* in.
    That was uncalled for.
    she could be premenstrual watch out lol

Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User

OMG!!! Not only was that uncalled for, but totally insensitive! I am so sorry you had too deal with a creature of that nature! How awful.. Big hugs coming your way!

Missy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Missy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
    K9Mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K9Mom HB User

That was totally uncalled for and the "nurse" (which is probably not even a nurse but a medical assistant) should be reported to the doctor - personally by you tomorrow. I work in a doctors office and know that that kind of behavior would NEVER be tolerated in our office.

Things to help with your eye issues...
    Use lubricating eye drops - preservative free (the individual vials are best)
    Do NOT use the kind that "get the red out"
    Use a lubricating eye GEL at night before bed, the brand Genteal Gel seems to get lots of praise from us Gravie Girls
    Warm and cold compresses will help with any pain - alternate as needed
    If you experience any overnight swelling under or over your eyes, then elevate the head of your bed by about 6 inches (put a brick under the headboard or use a "wedge pillow" to sleep on) Elevating your head while you sleep cuts down on the overnight swelling.

Good luck - hope your appointment tomorrow goes well....
    One more thing...get the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin and read, read, read all you can about Graves disease. Don't do ANYTHING permanent (like RAI or surgery) until you FULLY understand the pro's and con's and expected outcomes. You can take anti-thyroid meds to control your thyroid levels while you do your own research so that you can make an informed decision regarding your treatment.

Last edited by K9Mom; 05-22-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
    Sepia
    (female)

Sepia HB User

I'm really sorry that happened to you.
    So completely uncalled for. Everyone has a bad day, but her attitude was unneccessary.

Despite that, I hope that you were able to find some relief from your eye symptoms.
    Theres some great re-wetting drops like TheraTears that wont sting your eyes, and they make a thicker Gel formula thats great for at night. Having a small humidifier in the room or office your in most helps too. My doctor recommended to me today also to use an eye cover (mask) or to tape my eyes shut (!!) when I sleep cos my lids don't quite close completely which can further dry them out. Something to consider.
    Best of luck to you.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
    Sepia
    (female)

Sepia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K9Mom
    If you experience any overnight swelling under or over your eyes, then elevate the head of your bed by about 6 inches (put a brick under the headboard or use a "wedge pillow" to sleep on) Elevating your head while you sleep cuts down on the overnight swelling.
    Great tip! Will haveto try that

Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
    lookin4aclue
    Veteran
    (female)

lookin4aclue HB User

K9mom knows her stuff, everything she stated I was told to do for my eyes as well. If you start to have pain looking to the left or right or looking up, or loss of color, or double vision, please mention that to the doctors right away as well. Also if the tears, or gritty feeling comes while outdoors wear sunglasses. I hope your eyes feel better soon, and hope that you report that hatefull woman, she needs to learn a few things. Like who pays that doctor to have her around in the first place.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
    christine25
    (female)

christine25 HB User

im going to nursing school right now, and I work in a hospital in surgucal recovery unit. I had two patients tonight who had thyroidectomys.
    One with graves and the other had a TT, whith hypothyroidism.
    I always like the thyroid patients and ask them questions and try to empathize with them, because of my own problems.
    I find it ironic tho, because they always seem to be very igorant about thyroids and symptoms, and Im the one who cares and is trying to be supporative and they are kinda clueless.

Both patients wanted to go outside to smoke ciggarettes, take their IV poles with them and everything. After getting your thyorid just remmoved 2 hours
    It can seem somtimes to me like most patients arent educated as you and i are and they dont take care of their health, so the tendancy is to blame and dismiss the patient and their concerns and send them on their way.

The nurse or office person sounds pretty frusterated. Its crappy to feel like your bothering someone, when what you need is just validation and some good advice or answers to your questions, she should be able to do that.

Eyes and Graves disease,,, everyone knows that, I think you could walk up to someone on the street and they would know about it....I would just laugh, its obvious she doesnt want to be there and thats not your fault.

Not all the nurses know about stuff, science and disease, and not all doctors either, they are kind of robotic prescription writing machines, and they see like 40 people a day, for years and years, it becomes easy to treat pepople like they are the problems, not like a person but like a problem. Health care people become Dehumanized and desensitized, but not all of us, some actually have empathy and kindness. But the older nurses do loose that warm and fuzzy coating, after being **** on so many times and dealing with sickness and ******* doctors for years, and husbands that dont appretiate them and its a hard job. who knows whats going on in her life anyway, maybe she has a thyroid problem! or menapause.

(thyroid eye disease, thyroid ophthalmopathy), hurts like a *****! The common treatments are prednisone, other glucocoritocids, eye drops, sunglasses, occlusive dessing with steroids, some experimental new treatments like IVIG to lower anitibodies and Trental and drug that is used to treat intermittant claudcation, but has a side effect of reducing the secretion of gag (glycosaminoglycans) in the eyeball. etc.
    Usually the TED goes away gradually on its own once the thyroid problem is corrected, and it is known that RAI makes TED worse after you drink the radioactive iodine. Thats because the antibodies skyrocket and your body has receptors in the orbit of the eyeball aparantly, that attract these mucoproteins that cause that accumulate and attach to antibodies and cause the eyeball, one or both to protrude and hurt like hell.

Heres a few abstracts I found for you on Pub med,

Thyroid orbitopathy is most prevalent in women aged 40-50 years and is usually associated with thyroid dysfunction. Clinical manifestations include soft tissue signs, lid retraction, lid lag, proptosis, restrictive myopathy, corneal exposure and optic neuropathy. Thyroid function tests are essential, while thyroid antibodies and imaging to demonstrate extraocular muscle enlargement may also aid diagnosis. Correction of thyroid dysfunction and supportive measures are necessary in all cases. Immunosuppression is reserved for moderate to severe active orbitopathy and rehabilitative surgery is generally used once the disease is quiescent. A good visual and cosmetic outcome requires close cooperation between the general practitioner, endocrinologist and ophthalmologist.

---Thyroid eye disease (TED) is the most frequent extrathyroidal manifestation of Graves' disease. In most instances it is mild and non-progressive, but in 3%-5% of cases it is severe. Non-severe TED requires only supportive measures, such as eye ointments, sunglasses and prisms. By contrast, severe TED requires aggressive treatment, either medical (high-dose glucocorticoids, orbital radiotherapy) or surgical (orbital decompression). The choice of treatment relies on the assessment of both TED severity and activity. Removal of controllable risk factors, especially cigarette smoking, is important to improve the course and the therapeutic outcome. A coordinated approach to the treatment of hyperthyroidism and TED is also required. Novel promising treatments, to be verified in large series of patients, include somatostatin analogues and cytokine antagonists.

go on pubmed yourself and be proactive, dont wait for a doctor or nurse to tell you what to do, be your own scientist!

Christina

Last edited by christine25; 05-22-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

That woman is a b---- and she needs to be tarred and feathered. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK...........Anyway, Graves unfortunatly does make us emotional at times but at least thats all you got- She has a mean nasty syndrome and I firmly believe in Kharma- One day she will be in a nursing home one that is stinky and really sucks- And from her bed she will be yelling to have her bed sores and diaper attended to.........The response she will recieve-" I am sorry, I am not a colon /rectal dr. and I can not take care of this problem. Did you come here to rest and join in with the other seniors basket weaving or to have your butt wiped?" And so she will lay relentlessly in her soiled pants screaming and no one listens to her

On the serious side- I wanted to add that my eye symptoms are a growth (skin tag) on my left upper eyelid, light sensitivity, and puffy eyelids. I added this because my symptoms are not severe but I am getting ready to start hunting for an eye dr. that has experiance with graves opthomology.

Hang in there- It does get better and when you think of how nasty that thing was.........Remember nursing home Kharma!!!!!!!!!!

Nikki

Old 05-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User

You also need to let the DOCTOR know how HIS nurse treated YOU.
    In most cases, it WILL matter & be dealt with.

My hubby was doing CHEMO & I called nurse to see if this med would be helpful to him. Nurse gave me this sassy song n dance. i was at next office visit & made SURE the DOCTOR knew how horrible I felt after the TSKtsking from HIS NURSE. He reamed her. When we left, nurse directed all questions to hubby, but * I * was the one answering. Nurse wouldn't even LOOK at me. CareGivers don't need to be treated like chopped liver either , , ,

Old 05-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Trinity, I feel your pain. The frustration is YOU know what is going on, but they are too busy to know what is going on. When I first went to my primary for my "alleged" thyroid problem, after all was said and done, all he ran was a TSH (2.68). After being well informed from reading this board, I called back and asked for antibodies, free T3, T4, the whole 9-yards. Well, did I get an earful. The nurse said to me, "Well, you just want to do things YOUR way!", umm, well, yes, as a matter of fact I do, I am the customer, I am paying YOU. Well, I have since moved on (that was in Feb). I recently received a bill for the rest of the office visit minus my $15 co-pay. I called my insurance company and they said it appeared to be coded improperly. My insurance advised to call that doctor back and ask to recode and then they would reimburse. My gosh, you would think I was asking for the moon! They wouldn't budge. I told them I went in for a thyroid study, and they said I was "anxious and shaky". No joke! Um, what about the weight loss, feeding frenzy, elevated temp, the hyper buzz, eye pressure, brain fog, well, you all know the symptoms. I am so disgusted with doctors right now, including the endo I went to after this episode, that I am quitting them all for now. If I have Hashimoto's and the symptoms progress, it should become more obvious. Don't have a memory worth much right now, all 44-years-old of me. I can wait this out as well as everyone else on these boards have. Meanwhile, I am searching for the next doc, whoever that may be.

Closed Thread