It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I have Armour questions, got mine today * SO CONFUSED*

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User
    Question I have Armour questions, got mine today * SO CONFUSED*

Ok I picked up my script for Armour this morning. The bottle says it is just Thyroid, and they are 60mg tablets. The pill has an *A* on it, so I think it is Armour, but does not seem too be what I have been reading about.. Like Grains and such. I'm really confused I guess.. I read that One of these 60mg tabs equals 1 grain, but what gets me is I have 5 months for refills, and Do not see my Endo until then.
    I am getting off 75mgs of Synthroid, too start this, and although I went Hyper from this * per Endo's opinion* I tend too agree with him..However, I feel really GOOD * right now*. Energy is great, Hair loss is greatly improved, so I am wondering what too expect at this dose of Armour, will I crash and feel awful again. Also isn't 5 months a bit too long too see if this is working?

I'm just confused on all this I guess. Everything I read says you should go back in 6-8 weeks for testing if you are given a new dose, but my enod says 3-6 months..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Missy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: I have Armour questions, got mine today * SO CONFUSED*

Yes you have Armour since it has the "A" on it. Wow 5 months seems like a long time to go back for tests. If you are not doing well, you can always call the doctor.

Just remember that Armour has 38mcgs of t4 and 9mcgs of t3. You might do okay on one grain, but if you start feeling hypo symptoms, it would be best to let the doctor know.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User

Thank so much! I am hoping I do ok on it as well, but I thought 5 months was a bit of a wait too. I will play it by ear, and see how I feel

Missy

Old 06-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
    SarahF
    Veteran
    (female)

SarahF HB User

My doctor always puts 5 refills on my scripts with the understanding that I am to call him ANYTIME I need to.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User

Ok Sarah, I feel better about this now..

Missy

Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I think you may not have Armour. I once was given a generic instead of my usual Armour. It had a "V" on the tablet, which at first glance looked like the "A" I had been used to seeing. I didn't realize for almost a month that it wasn't genuine Armour. I looked at the label on the script bottle and found that the manufacturer was a company called Qualitest.

A genuine Armour 1 grain tablet has a Roman type A with what looks like a candle between the diagonal strokes of the A, and the letters 'T E' below the A.

I found one image of a natural generic thyroid made by Vintage Pharmaceuticals that has a stylized "V" on the tab and the numerals 6058 stamped above. It looks like the generic I received. (Maybe Vintage was bought out by Qualitest or vice versa, so the look is the same.) If you look really closely, you may find that's what you have. Check the label on the bottle too. The manufacturer is usually written there. Armour is made by Forest Labs.

"Grain" is an old-fashioned pharmaceutical term that is less precise than metric weights like "milligram" or "microgram", but it's still used to apply to natural thyroid. You will find both terms used almost an equal amount of the time.
    One grain equals 60 mgs.
    One-half grain equals 30 mgs.
    One-quarter grain equals 15 mgs, and so on.

I agree that 5 months is too long to check in with a doctor. At the beginning of my treatment, my doc had me schedule for 2 months out, but said I should call sooner if I felt the need. You should absolutely call yours if you feel the need, and you probably will before 5 months is up.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User

Hiya Midwest!

Yes then mine is Armour, it even has the T E printed directly underneath the Roman A, it was the little gadget in the middle of the *A* that through me off *lol*

So, I am pretty sure I have the real deal

Missy

Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It does sound like it! Great! Be sure to check each refill you get to make sure you haven't been switched unknowingly like I was.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

yeah the one i got was by qualitest with the v on it . i was po'd. do check them before you leave the pharmacy.

Closed Thread