It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Levoxyl to Syntroid and some problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
    Levoxyl to Syntroid and some problems

Hi all! My endo had given me free samples from his office. At the time I was excited just to get treatment but now I am not so sure.
    The first three weeks I was on Levoxyl and the last week on Synthroid. I don't go back for two more weeks.
    All of my hypo symptoms are back. A few...aching muscles, sore feet, muscles twitching, daily headaches ect. But.....
    Synthroid seems to be making me more anxious. My heart is in my throat all the time so to speak. Feel like the sky is about to fall. Although I have a lot on my plate right now....son has broken ear drum with leaking blood has to go to ENT Monday. Missed going on five days of Kindergarten. Four year old has pink eye, bee sting, I am sick, my husband has been sick AND quit smoking this week. Which is good but whew!!!!! My Grandma dx with colon cancer which also leaves me with taking care of my 12 year old neice who is a pain in the butt.
    With all of this I do feel extra anxiety. Afraid if I tell the ENDO in two weeks he won't up dose. But I need to since I am NOT living well with hypo symptoms.
    Sorry so long.
    Any advise?
    I heard someone talking about mood drugs?????
    Any help I would appreciate.
    As I said going hypo but major anxiety increase!!!!

Last edited by MOMOFBOYZ; 06-03-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User
    Re: Levoxyl to Syntroid and some problems

Hi Deena (((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) )))))))))
    Oh my, you do have more than enough on your plate! It is overflowing - wish I could come to California and help you out. Hope you all get better soon. Glad your hubby quit smoking - hope it lasts!!

Didn't you crash last week too - was it ever any better? I think you needed an increase instead of a change of meds. I have been told they like to keep you on the same dosage when they change brands for at least 4-6 weeks. They only up your meds on the same brand.

I assume the dosage is the same for Synthroid as for Levoxyl (50 mcg). Changing brands - for a reason I can't figure out, sometimes causes problems at first. I guess it COULD be the fillers. Also, I read that Synthroid "spikes" theirs to make sure it doesn't lose its potency quickly, so you could be taking a higher doseage without knowing it. It didn't bother me from Levothyroxine - Synthroid - Levothyroxine at the same dosage. A dosage increase or decrease also can. Also, stress plays a HUGE part in how we feel - and you certainly have more than your share of that. I believe you have FM too - and that all by itslef with the stress can cause a lot of your symptoms. Massage works VERY well for me - my hubby is great at it. I also take nice long warm baths - I wonder how you could work that out with your family - as I remember barely being able to get a quick shower in sometimes.

Do you take anything like selenium or magnesium? I think they have both helped me a lot. I take 50 mg selenium and the RDA?? of magnesium. The selenium supposedly helps convert the T4 to T3. I don't know what "mood drugs" are. Maybe the anti-anxiety drugs could help you until everything settles down.

12 year old girls are dealing with the hormone thing too, just differently. Try giving her things to do to help you, if she has been "trained" at all and praise anything she does - even if it isn't up to your standards. Might help. I gave a GD some old makeup I bought thinking I might try wearing it(never did) and let her experiment. Made her feel more "grownup". She's going through a lot having to live with someone else - who did she live with before and why do you have her?

Take Care of Yourself first! We are not much good to others if we don't.
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 06-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User

Deena ~
    Let me understand , , ,
    First 3-4 weeks you took Levoxyl samples & did pretty good/ok. But now you've been taking Synthroid samples you feel anxiety & return of hypo symtoms? Maybe if you called and talked to nurse, they'd let you swap Synthroid for Levo samples? Be sure to explain how DIFFERENT you feel on Syn. If they can't do that, I'd ask for them to call a perscription IN for levoxyl, make sure they tell pharm not to substitute!!! (you're paying out of pocket for the Endo cuz HMO didn't approve it -but insurance will still pay for meds REGAURDLESS)

As you know, I had a HORRID time on generic Synthroid, Levothyroxine. And for me, it didn't get better! (~>> by week THREE, I'd gone from meloncoly to CRABBY to feeling like I was taking DEPRESSANTS -side-effects outweighed any GOOD med was doing - NOT worth it in my humble opinion)

There are so many other medications:
    1) WHY should we have to subject ourselves to drugs that give us AWFUL side-effects?
    2) Or one that makes it nesessary to take anti-anxiety or depression meds?

I was taking Zoloft when I had those HORRID side-effects. Sometimes Thy meds & anti-d's DON'T mix WELL. I'm told they either bring out the best or WORST in each other. Then I was switched to Welbutrin W/O side-effects. Because we shouldn't take other meds WITH thy ones & I take my Thy meds TWICE a day, the most I EVER get is 1/2 the Wellbutrin. And I can't take Well past 3 pm or I have BIG trouble sleeping, (*NOT* going there again) Honestly, now that I'm on Cytomel I feel like I could discountinue anti-pressants all together

* * *hugs* * * to you & the family. Hope it smoothes out sooooooon
    Sue

Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Lots of good advice, so far ...

If med switch back to Levoxyl doesn't do the trick, you might consider trying EPA fish oil concentrate. There's LOTS of research out there showing it is effective, in some cases comp. to SSRIs for depression, and recent research out of Israel showing effectiveness in anxiety. Side effects tend to be "good," -- for the heart, for muscle & joint pain. But it can't be used by folks w/bleeding or blood clotting problems.

Most studies showing effectiveness of EPA on mood used 1 to 2 grams per day of the EPA concentrate fraction of fish oil. Two readily available brands (most health food stores & many dept stores) w/EPA concentrate are Nordic Naturals & Carlson's. (There may be other great brands, but don't waste your money on just any old grocery store/Walmart fish oil.)

A good multivite, w/selenium & extra B vitamins (like a stress vite) will help your body utilize the fish oil optimally. And here's a REAL TIP: tell your PITB niece that EPA fish oil & B vitamins are GREAT for her skin (not a lie, at all). If she'll take them, you may find she is much less of a PITB.

My older teen w/major anxiety issues & who is very sensitive to meds, could not tolerate SSRIs but has done very well with a combination of EPA, minerals, & B vites. He also briefly used a device called Alpha-Stim to totally eradicate panic attacks. Alpha-Stim is a home treatment, i-pod like device w/ear clips, that sends a very tiny amt of microcurrent through the brain. Sounds woo-woo, but it comes very highly recommended. It's FDA registered as a medical device & can only be Rxd by an MD or licensed psychologist. The main side effect for our son was that he became a more mellow kid & improved his grades. My DH said ... too bad we didn't have this thing when the other kid was 14!

Sorry to hear about the pile of stresses that have come crashing down on you this week! Chances are the worst is over in terms of external stressors; the pink eye, ear drum, and nicotine cravings will soon be history. And quite likely, as stress decreases anxiety will as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Perhaps you may want to consider taking Levoxyl if you were doing good taking it...please let us know what happens...

Old 06-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User

I'm bumping this back up cuz I'd REALLY like an update from Miss Deena

Where *IS* that alien tapping his foot smilie when I need it ?

Sue

Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Thank you all so much for your help.
    I am on fish oil. And I dunno if it's helping. But my friend lost tons of weight taking it so I thought it couldn't hurt right? I bought Calcium chewable tabs but it was the same time I was crashing so I stopped right away. I will get the magnesium and selenium tabs tomorrow!!!!
    ALso, thanks for advise on PITB Niece!!!! She's not that bad but was abanonded by my sister and raised by her great grandma before my Mom got guardianship. Which was two years ago. She used to sleep in her school clothes b/c no one was there to assist before school. Slept in a chair next to great grandma. Terrible. Life is good now. We got her involved in our church choir. Which is no ordinary church!!! They dance and sing. She won an award for good grades ect. But.... her attitude. Let's just say just two years ago she ate a burrito at a restaraunt by scooping out the beans with her fingers. So, she's come a long way. Just rambunctious.
    Rationally I can't say it was the switch from Levoxy to Synthroid. B/c was having hypo symptoms return before switch. I feel better emotionally today. You know the sun comes up and we thank God for the beautiful day he has given us. But almost ALL of my hypo symptoms are back! Yuck! I did the blood work today and I go Tuesday morning!!!! I can't wait. I need more DRUGS!!!!! HAHAHAHA
    I want Armour or Thyolar. But if you say he won't increase the dose maybe wait for him to up Synthroid to 100 mcg then call and request change of meds.
    You gals are a constant support for me. Thank you from the bottom of myheart! I wish I could answer my own questions. I can't even tell you for sure if Levoxyl was better or body adjusted and I need more??????
    I hope your all doing good. Sorry it's all about me again. Things have been pretty tough with my hubby and I. I'll tell youlater don't want to take up too much space.
    Love and hugs to you all
    Deena

Closed Thread