It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Bruising from surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
    mollyann
    (female)

mollyann HB User
    Bruising from surgery

Last week I had my second thyroid surgery. The first one was 7 months ago and 2/3 of the gland was removed. This time the rest of it was because the gland died, is dead, went kapoot. My TSH had quadrupled in a short period of time. I have both Hashi's and papillary cancer. But the surgeon thinks that I have had undiagnosed Hashimoto's for probably 20 years and thus it killed my thyroid. Anyway, I cannot believe the bruising this time. It's dark dark deep purple at the incision site and above it and it's a large amount of bruising. And there's also bruising from ear to ear and all the way down my chest. One of my breasts is bruised terribly. And one arm is bruised. Now yes, I do have a messed up parathyroid gland that the surgeon had to implant into the neck. But have any of you guys had this kind of bruising? I didn't have it last time. Just a little bruise at the incision site but that was it last time. This is just awfully gross to be honest.

Last edited by mollyann; 06-07-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Bruising from surgery

Sorry you had to go thru all this. My surgeon said surg. for the second side has a little more "trauma"---they dig in more to get it. Maybe that's why you're more bruised?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

I didn't have that problem. My dad did when they put in a pacemaker and defibrulator(sp) - it was awful, but he bruises easily & was 86 years old at the time and has very "thin" skin.
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
    MATYA
    (female)

MATYA HB User

I had a TT in Dec 2005 and was very bruised. Neck, especially on left side where is was the largest, down the check, breast to stomach. I thought the Surgeon's had stood on me. There was even betadine on my face and in my hair??

How long was your surgery. Mine was approximately 8 hours, since it was a very large substernal thyroid.

Hang in there, it will pass with time.

Closed Thread