It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Iodine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
    Sco24
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sco24 HB User
    Iodine?

should i take iodine supplements? im hypo, and my diet is limited, i don't eat salt, seafood is everynow and then in the form of salmon, and i believe there is NO iodine in my vitamin supplements. how do i know if i should take a little to help my thyroid?

i know kelp has some iodine, but i also heard it can have pollutants in it, is this true? are there any organic like kelp that's more healthy from certain companies? need some help with this.

Thanks
    scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
    Nonnawk
    (female)

Nonnawk HB User
    Re: Iodine?

Hi Scott,
    I, too, am hypothyroid (without autoimmune involvement). In January of this year my TSH was 6.29 and I began to do Iodoral Iodine loading (50mg - 12.5mg 4/day). By March lst, my TSH had jumped to 11.7 and on May 2, it was at 21.200. As it turns out, even the iodine supplementation I was taking before January may have been playing some part in triggering my TSH up to 6.29.

So, even though you may actually need iodine, there are some of us with hypothryoidism (perhaps those with autoimmune involvement somewhat more frequently?) who do NOT need any significant increase in iodine.

I hate to think what might have happened if I had not been testing my TSH every other month and just kept on taking the iodine supplement for months and months. So, whatever you decide to do, keep track of the results of what you are ingesting. Those who are hyping the Iodoral Iodine loading program don't seem to be warning that there are some who do not need any more iodine ... even though there are certainly those who do.

Let the patient be ware.

Good luck,
    Nonnawk

Old 06-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Nonnawk,

Did your hypoT symptoms increase, as well, when you were on the Iodoral? And have you since completely discontinued?

Did you experience the excess salivation & other symptoms of iodine overload while you were on the Iodoral?

Did you get pre-post urine challenge test results, and did they show any change?

I've been following this story with interest. The proponents of Iodoral say one thing, but even in the alt. med. community, their methods are considered farout & controversial.

Best wishes.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Scott,

May I ask why you don't eat salt? I did a DASH diet for over 20 yrs (low sodium, high potassium) for borderline high blood pressure & while it "did the job" in the short term, in the long term there was stress on my adrenals (need salt to function) and on my thyroid, due to lack of iodine.

The watchword I should have clung to is "balance."

Iodine is a necessary component of thyroid hormone. In some cases, when free T4 is low & free T3 is OK, one should ask, is there sufficient iodine in the diet? The RDA established by WHO is 150 mcg., sufficient to prevent cretinism. However, studies of ethnic diets worldwide confirm that this RDA is on the low end, that in naturalistic situations humans gravitate toward diets that contain closer to 400 mcg. In some cultures, iodine consumption has been MUCH higher, however, there typically are counterbalancing measures (eg. the diet also contains goitrogens that limit iodine uptake).

While the thyroid gland is the primary reservoir for iodine, it is also contained in every cell, and esp. in the glands.

IMO, it probably makes sense to get at least the RDA for iodine -- the 150 mcg. However, some people with autonomous nodules and/or Hashi's find any amt of iodine makes them sick. People with Graves disease often have to studiously avoid iodine in food.

Shellfish is a good source of iodine. Other than that, iodized salt is what most Americans use as their source of iodine. Some sea salt is iodized at a lower level than regular iodized table salt.

The Iodoral loading regimen Nonnawk mentioned contains 300 times the RDA for iodine, and it is controversial.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread