It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Has Anyone Trie Just Taking Cytomel Alone & Time Released T3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
    Has Anyone Trie Just Taking Cytomel Alone & Time Released T3

Has anyone totally dropped Synthroid and have felt good just on Cytomel alone? I know Cytomel should be taken twice a day. Iread where there is a time released Cytomel or T3 medication. Does anyone know the name of that drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
    abigchocoholic
    (male)

abigchocoholic HB User
    Re: Has Anyone Trie Just Taking Cytomel Alone & Time Released T3

I've heard of people taking solely t3 up to 75mcgs a day--and I've questioned them extensively thinking they are just misplacing the decimal and are really taking 7.5mcgs a day--but they insisted it was 75mcgs. I just can't imagine anyone being able to tolerate that much t3, but apparently some can.

I've done some research on the subject and my understanding is that the normal, healthy body uses about 30mcgs of t3 a day--only 5mcgs directly in the form of t3 from the thyroid and about 25mcgs converted from t4 by the liver and kidneys.

And I've also tried timed release t3. It doesn't have a brand name that I know of, although there is obviously a manufacturer. I got it at a compounding pharmarcy. They buy the t3 in powder form and put it in a time release pill. Apparently, any medication that can be bought in powder form can be put in a timed released pill. I was on it for several months and thought it was the greatest find ever. In fact, the pharmacist was so nice she was putting both my t4 and t3 in one capsule so I just took one pill in the morning and thyroid trickled into my system over an 18 hour period. But after several months, I started having negative symptoms and went back to armour and levoxyl. The main difference I've noticed is that the armour really packs a wallop. It's just so strong I can only handle 1/2 to 1 grain a day and I have to split that up--no more than 1/2 grain at a time.

I've been reading that all these meds--cytomel, synthroid, levoxyl, armour--are supposed to have bioidentical components. Meaning that t4 is t4 and t3 is t3, but that's not my perception--at least not this time around.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
    Re: Has Anyone Trie Just Taking Cytomel Alone & Time Released T3

As far as I know, there is no commercial pharmaceutical in the USA that is a time-release T3, other than that which is compounded to order per Rx by a compounding pharmacy.

The T3 used in the individual compounds is mixed with a special filler, like microcrystalline cellulose, and put into capsules. The filler absorbs water & makes a sort of "jelly bean" in the gut that slowly release T3 over an extended period.

T3 is a very potent med, so the measuring & mixing is extremely important. Most compounding pharms will do a triturate process, where the T3 is first mixed with another inert dry powder, to dilute it before the cellulose/slow-release stuff is mixed in. My current slow release T3 caps contain 6 mcg of T3, in a capsule that could easily hold 500 mg if it were filled with say, Vit C or an amino acid.

I have heard of a few people who are put on T3 alone, but this is pretty unusual. It wouldn't work for me, I seem to burn through it real quick, even the slow release stuff. The slow release T3 seems much smoother to me -- I got sort of shocky from straight Cytomel. People vary in speed of metabolism & also in how readily they absorb various meds.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread