It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• has anyone taken Beta Blockers along with Synthroid (or other meds?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User
    has anyone taken Beta Blockers along with Synthroid (or other meds?)

For months, all of the doctors I have seen tell me to try taking a low dose of beta blocker for my PAC's/PAC's (Heart Palpitations) but I have always been so afraid of them.

Well, now that I've started Synthroid (and only at 1/4 of a tablet so far, mind you), my palpitations & heart pounding are worse. I can imagine it will continue as I up my dose of Synthroid over the following weeks.

I'm at the point of considering the beta blocker, because I'm feeling so awful - and this heart stuff is SCARY!

Didn't see anything on my Synthroid info pamphlet that warns against beta blockers - so just wondering.

Thanks for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
    Hypergirl48
    (female)

Hypergirl48 HB User
    Re: has anyone taken Beta Blockers along with Synthroid (or other meds?)

Hello! I'm rather newly diagnosed with hyperthyroid--haven't even seen the endo yet, so my only medications at this point are a beta blocker (Toprol-XL) and Ativan. I can't comment on the the combination you're asking about, but I will say that the beta blocker really did the trick on the palps and pvc's. I have other things that at this point I'm not sure whether they're side effect of the Toprol or my thryroid, but I'd rather have them than the palps and pvc's. My brother has been on Toprol-XL for six months for unexplain racing heart with minor side effect; i've only been on it two weeks. Give it a try! Some people have side effects at first and then as the body gets used to it, they go away. Other's never have any noitceable side effects, others can't tolerate one beta blocker, but they're able to handle another one, and so on. The only scary aspect I have with it is that you should NEVER stop it cold turkey, that it COULD damage your heart if you do. The warnings on this are clear. If you try it and feel worse after a couple weeks, or get side effects that you can't tolerate and they don't go away, then you need to slowly decrease, not just stop cold turkey (with docs knowledge of course).

As I said, it really helped me and at this point, I'm willing to put up with the side effects. I'd give it a try and see if it makes you feel any better. And also, they may say that "all beta blockers are alike," but with the research I've done, many people can't tolerate one of them, but do fine on another one. Keep that in mind, too.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Pam

Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
    Bemm4
    (female)

Bemm4 HB User

I have been on a beta blocker for years and started my Synthroid 8 months ago. I personally have not had any problems with the combo of meds. I take my Synthroid in the morning and my beta blocker at bedtime. Once in a blue moon I will get palpatations even on the meds but, it is better than what it use to be. My heart rate was always in the 150's and skipping beats. That was when I was resting. I hope this helps a little.

Elaine

Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Hey, thanks so much for the replies, I really do appreciate it the information you have provided. It really helped me out.

Geez, I just feel too young to be on so many medications, ya know? Sigh - I guess it's just fact of life. I just want to feel better, that's all.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zosolizard
    Hey, thanks so much for the replies, I really do appreciate it the information you have provided. It really helped me out.

Geez, I just feel too young to be on so many medications, ya know? Sigh - I guess it's just fact of life. I just want to feel better, that's all.

Again, thank you for your responses.
    hi
    zoso, its me pursie
    the doc told me to go on to betas but im realy scared also !!!! because some people cant breath on them1 and i dont know if im willing to risk it even for one dayu!!!!!!!!! i think you are me but based in the usa !!!
    its mad how close you come to my exact self??? i saw the doc today and he ws useless!! my gp runs more test than him!!!!
    im considering goig private ive been told to up my dose and im really scared i dont know how they measure it over there but it will be 50 thyroxine take care zoso lots of love from your mate in the ukxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxkat

Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pursie
    hi
    zoso, its me pursie
    the doc told me to go on to betas but im realy scared also !!!! because some people cant breath on them1 and i dont know if im willing to risk it even for one dayu!!!!!!!!! i think you are me but based in the usa !!!
    its mad how close you come to my exact self??? i saw the doc today and he ws useless!! my gp runs more test than him!!!!
    im considering goig private ive been told to up my dose and im really scared i dont know how they measure it over there but it will be 50 thyroxine take care zoso lots of love from your mate in the ukxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxkat
    Hi
    I'm so sorry that your appt today did not go well. That STINKS!! Honestly I have had to ask so many doctors to do tests, refer me to other doctors, etc. It's been almost a year before I even found out that I had thyroid problems. It's just crazy, in my opinion.

I believe the medication dosage/measurements are the same. Right now I have 50 tablets as well, but am currently only taking 1/4 of the tablet because the palps & heart pounding are so bad.

I put a call in to my doctor to ask about what to do next. I just want to feel good again, you know ? The beta blockers are scary to me too!!

Well - we've got each other to get through this, and we have to hang in there & keep working to get ourselves feeling well.

Don't give up!! We deserve the best treatment possible - and so does everyone here. It's a shame that it's so difficult for us to find it.

Take care & hugs to you! Julie

Closed Thread