It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please Help Me...Thyroid Ultrasound Results..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
    Please Help Me...My Thyroid Ultrasound Results...

had my first ultrasound done 3 months ago..it says "the right lobe measures 4/2x 1.2x 1.3 in size.The left lobe measures 4.1x .8x1.2 cm. in size.In the left lobe of the thyroid gland isa .6cm.solid nodule,in the lower pole of the right lobe of the thyroid gland,it is a fairly sharply defined of decreased echogenicity when compared to adjacent thyroid. Impression,small solid nodule in the inferior aspect of the right lobe of the thyroid gland.It was suggested i have this done again in 3 months.

Just had my 2nd ultrasound done on June 8..it says"no interval change in the size of the hypoechoic solid nodule within the inferior pole of the right lobe of the thyroid gland.A follow up examination in 6 months is recommended to confirm stability.

My questions are...what is a hypoechoic solid nodule and what does that mean? I am hypothyroid and taking Levoxyl.What does decreased echogenicity mean? And,the reason they check every 6 months or every year to see if the nodule stays the same? Thyroid is in my family...my mother had her thyroid taken out when she was 19...her sister also when she was older,her daughter is hypothyroid...my mother's 2 aunts had thyroid problems...my sister was hyper,hypothyrid and had/has a nodule...on my father's side my cousin had a nodule and had to have his thyroid removed about 17 years ago.Is my nodule a hypothyroid or hyperthyroid nodule and does that go along with my being hypothyroid? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by pinkprincess3; 06-13-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User
    Re: Please Help Me...Thyroid Ultrasound Results..

I'm guessing here, based solely on my limited knowledge of medical terms and the language of physics:

I think they found a nodule on the back side of the thyroid gland. It's not as clear as it would be if it were on the front, between the gland and the skin where the ultrasound paddle is placed.

Reduced echo....whatever sounds like they are not getting the strong sonic "reflection" or "echo" in the area they suspect is a nodule. They say the nodule is solid so I would expect a stronger signal from it but I may be misinterpreting or I may not understand how sonic waves work with tissue.

The suspected nodule didn't change size since the last test so your doctor figures there's no emergency and he wants you back in 6 months.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
    Re: Please Help Me...Thyroid Ultrasound Results..

Can someone please help me...what is a solid nodule? what does hypoechoic mean? what kind of nodule means you are hypothyroid? do nodules mostly grow or stay the same size? does this make any sense with me being hypothyroid? i am taking levoxyl and supposed to have another ultrasound done in 6 months...thanks for your help

Closed Thread