It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Doc ordered ACTH Test for Friday morning after I complained some more abt dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User
    Angry Doc ordered ACTH Test for Friday morning after I complained some more abt dizziness

I have told the endo 4 times already that I just feel WORSE and WORSE since I started the Synthroid.

So now, she is having me do an ACTH test.

I looked on the net, looks like this is to measure cortisol, and rule out pitutary and adrenal probs ??

On my Synthroid insert, it has a warning about taking this med if you have adrenal problems. Shouldn't docs rule that stuff out FIRST ?

Sigh! I hope I make it til Friday - the way I'm feeling, I can't stand it much longer.

The dizziness and pressure in my head is taking me over. I can barely sit at the PC.

If anyone can help me out with info, advice, or just want to vent along with me, I'd love it. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User
    Re: Doc ordered ACTH Test for Friday morning after I complained some more abt dizziness

Hi, I posted on your last thread..Sorry you are still not feeling well..Thats wonderful she is checking your adrenals, but I think I would ask for a different type of thryoid meds.. synthroid works great for some and others it doesnt.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User
    Re: Doc ordered ACTH Test for Friday morning after I complained some more abt dizziness

ACTH is to Adrenal, as TSH is to Thyroid.

Your Doc may be doing one of two tests:

1. Measuring ACTH. If high, it could mean your adrenals are not able to respond adequately, just as if your TSH is high it could mean your thyroid is not able to respond adequately.

2. ACTH stimulation test - ACTH is injected into your muscle, probably your arm, and your blood is tested at intervals afterward, to see if your adrenals are able to respond to the rise in ACTH (this is a good test for adrenal function).

Old 06-22-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Seeems to be quite a few of us suffering from dizziness at mo .mine comes in waves sometimes if lm looking at pc its liek the pc monitor jumps and my head goes forward its awful its more of an off ba lance feeling to me makes me feel like lm swaying ( im hyper) good luck with everything x

Old 06-22-2006, 04:38 AM   #5
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi zo,
    im sending my adrenals at the mo i have to take urine in for 3 days on the run, i dont know how accurate this is but i heard their is a saliva test also, ive already had one abnormal result on my cortisone, thats why i was sent to the endo! then he disscharged me! but i did demand theese adrenals to be done thats why i was sent to him in the first place????? so i said um why am i hear then seeing a cortisone doc lol they make me laugh, he didnt tell me any numbers to do with thyroid or adrenals , have you visited the addisons and cushing boards?? i have to ask one qeustion , um do you get really heavy legs and those horrible head rushes??? i do sometimes and my blood pressure rises cos my face goes red. promise me you will keep me posted, on yur tests and ask your endo how accurate this 3 day urine test is for me they dont tell me nothing your tyhroid buddie always from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Divermon
    ACTH is to Adrenal, as TSH is to Thyroid.

Your Doc may be doing one of two tests:

1. Measuring ACTH. If high, it could mean your adrenals are not able to respond adequately, just as if your TSH is high it could mean your thyroid is not able to respond adequately.

2. ACTH stimulation test - ACTH is injected into your muscle, probably your arm, and your blood is tested at intervals afterward, to see if your adrenals are able to respond to the rise in ACTH (this is a good test for adrenal function).
    Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I am having the ACTH Stim Test - I am glad to hear that it's a good test for adrenal function. Ugh - I'm just tired of needles already

Closed Thread