It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyrdrocortisone for Adrenal Fatigue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User
    Hyrdrocortisone for Adrenal Fatigue

I have a long story and several questions. I'll try to be brief and sum it up:

I am seeing a naturopath for my fatigue and shortness of breath problems. He dianosed me with adrenal fatigue and hormone imbalances, including low thyroid. He gave me natural hydrocortisone (HC) for the adrenal glands, said to take it for 5 days before starting natural thyroid (NT) [He also gave me natural estrogen and progesterone.] It has been 3 months, and because he also gave me other supplements, including Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder,---(which I had to learn thru hard experience that it was causing me some of the heart racing that I wrongly attributed to HC, and finally stopped taking to get rid of the fast pulse)--- I kept getting fast pulse, so I couldn't start the thyroid until I got the dosage right. I finally got consistently able to take 3 HC per day (2.5 mgs each), without feeling racing pulse. But then I was soooooo **** fatigued that I began taking Adrenal Rebuilder again, which gave me a lift with just 2 pills, but then after the 3rd pill in one day, my pulse began racing again. In other words, I got the HC to a dose I could handle, but then still felt such fatigue issues that I added back in the Adrenal Rebuilder (a powerful supplement that many claim is the only thing that helps them---see Dr. Wilson's website). Well, that was not wise on my part to keep going with the adrenal rebuilder at the same time I was ready to FINALLY start the Natural Thyroid. So, anyways, yesterday and the day before, I took 1/4 grain NT, along with my 3 HC, and 1-3 Adrenal Rebuilders each day.

Well, the result was my pulse was at 90-100 resting, and 120 when I exerted myself to do something as simple as pick up something off the floor or get down on my 2 year olds' level to talk to him. argh!

What do you think I should do? All I can think of is don't continue with the Thyroid, and be VERY CAREFUL with the Adrenal Rebuilder (take a break from both of them today in an effort to get my pulse normalized. (it's about 88, and was at 76 last night). I tend to get so upset when these things happen, that I swing from one drastic change to another. I am very impatient and want to feel better now.

My main concern is that my naturopath may not know either a) what he is doing or b) how to guide me......I am getting the feeling that he is not thorough enough in asking me questions, he never actually LOOKED at my neck to see if I have any swollen thyroid indications, and I am wondering if maybe I have some kind of nodule that is producing its own thryroid and that is why I can't handle much meds at all. (About 3 years ago I had a concerning sensation and went to an ENT who checked my throat and did a CT scan, which showed nothing. But I still have the slight sore feeling in one spot on the right side of my thyroid are in my neck/throat.) I want my doc. to be more thorough and look into everything.

I would like to be directed to some threads on this site (if there are any) where other people are discussing natural hydrocortisone (as opposed to synthetic cortisol) and adrenal fatigue issues and I would like to know if anyone else has fast pulse from taking Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue. Also, does anyone have any knowledge of my naturopath? His website is jacemedical.com

Last edited by Dawn Elise; 06-22-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User
    Seems I go from extreme fatigue to extreme hyperness

I can't seem to get the dosages right to start feeling better.

Last edited by Dawn Elise; 06-22-2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: didn't like my post

Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
    Re: Hyrdrocortisone for Adrenal Fatigue

Hi Dawn,

Did your doc run blood tests that showed adrenal and thyroid deficiency? It sounds as if you have questions about his level of expertise and/or thoroughness.

One impt. question is, when you tell your doc about these side effects, how does he respond & are you comfortable with that. Does he take your complaints seriously, or does he brush them away, tell you you're imagining, etc.

Naturopaths have their own mantras & treatment protocols, different from what an MD will offer, but sometimes just as inflexible. NDs do commonly try to boost adrenal function, if weak, before starting thyroid meds. However, the endocrine system is very complex & individual response to the recommendations can vary from the normal, average pattern. Some NPs treat as if they are just "topping off" hormone levels for optimal function.

IMO, if you are not satisfied with your current doc, you should start networking to find a replacement.

I've had a few experiences with HC & Cortef, largely negative. Benefits were short-lasting & soon replaced by large side effects, even at very low doses.

With the fast pulse issues, it's possible that you are very sensitive to the T3 in your thyroid med. Have you ever tried a T4 med like Synthroid? I'm assuming here that you have low thyroid on your labs.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread