It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I have Hashimoto's and Graves disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
    rach33
    (female)

rach33 HB User
    I have Hashimoto's and Graves disease

I hope the story of my disease helps some one avoid all the problems, and delays of treatment I have expierenced. I have been trying to get help from my Dr's for 6 almost 7 years now, I gave up for a while; it was really hard dealing with Dr's acting like you are crazy or just drug seeking. I have had the fatigue for a long time, but it all really started during my second pregnancy; then after that the very painful periods, I had a laperoscopy because endo was a possiblility, but not it, had a cyst. He ran thyroid tests (tsh only), and checked for anemia-nothing. I Still having severe pain, and fatigue, heart eurithmia but by this time, the OB had lost interest; he couldnt figure out what it was so...He actually said to me "Well some times when we get older we have pains, we just need to accept that and move on." I was only 27 years old.
    2001, I thought I had fibromyalgia, I went to a homeopathic Dr. who was excellent, put me on a bunch of vits, made me quit drinking my favorite soda, no sugar, no partially hydrogonated foods (engredients) this was ok for a while, I felt great. But a few years passed, had two more children, those pregnancies were very difficult, but the last one... I had bladder pain so badly, I felt like I was going to die. I was on bed rest for the last 2 months of it. When I had my the baby (girl) C-section, she was huge 10lbs 1oz (all my babies were big) but she was perfect.
    I was hoping the bladder pain would go away, it didnt, only I thought it was the painfull periods again-it was both; combine the two and you have pain so badly you cant move, walk, sit. I called the OB(I had switched by now)- nurse thinks Im a drug seeker; brushed me off...
    I finally went to a eurologist (referred myself) he said, either calcium or potassium deposits in there causing pain; told me it was possibly Intercystal Cystitis; gave me some bladder pain meds and sent me on "ma way".
    January 2006, now on Depo (which stopped my periods therefore stopping some pain). But I am now having such problems with anxiety and aggitation, that I believe I am truly going insane. I went in begging for some Zanex or something, the new Nurse Prac at my OB officer (who does atleast pretend to care) checked my thyroid/tsh, it came back 7.2 which was way high, so she put me on generic levothyroxine (is not good go w/the real stuff). I felt some of the brain fogg go away, and fatigue got better, but I was still feeling anxious.
    April 2006, I went to see a Internal Med Dr. I thought I may have celiac disease (alot of my symptons suggested that/referred myself) He found that I have perniouse anemia/severe b-12 deficiency-have to take shots cant metabolize, and my thyroid antibodies were very very high, supposed to be 30 and they were 1408, but "good news" no Celiac disease. (that would of been better than what I do have).
    May 2006, I went to Endocrinologist who within literally 5 seconds tells me I have Hashimoto's, and poss hyperthyroid/graves disease. She seems smart, but doesn't want to answer any questions I may have reg this life dammaging disease; just wants to diagnose, doesnt offer referrence materials or helpfull suggestions on how to feel better, just tells me to bring up symptoms caused by this "thyroid disease", to my Int Med Dr or GP; (which they have no clue about) she gives me a paper and sends me on "ma way". Tests came back possative for Graves as well. (I think it was 1347? it was high as well) I have MRI for eyes, and thyroid, comes back-wouldnt ya know inconslusive. Had to get glasses, last year was told eyes were great, shouldnt need glasses for 20years.
    June 2006, I still have bladder pain, asked Int Med Dr. to run vitamin B complex, and vit D to see if I metabolize them correctly; I'm not; B1(niacin), B6(pyridoxine) are high, and vit D is low. Vit D helps metabolize calcium, and if it isn't working; well then you get osteoperosis...Int Med Dr. wants to see me in his office to discuss the results and the treatment, but didnt tell nurse any further.
    I would list all of my symptoms but they are infinate, I have been sick for so long w/so many different things, that any one who knows me thinks Im a hypocondriac. I hope "all" of this info helps someone, it really was a condensed version; Thanks for letting me tell it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Re: I have Hashimoto's and Graves disease

Thanks for telling your story. Hearing others tell their story helps bring perspective to some of our own problems at some point. Are you still on the levothyroxine? If so, is it helping? With the Grave's component, are you tolerating the thyroid meds o.k.? Just curious as meds make me oddly worse.

Karen

Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
    rach33
    (female)

rach33 HB User

Im on Synthroid .75mg and it seems to be helping more than the generic levothyroxine was. I had really swollen glands and now after 6 weeks they appear to be smaller; I dont know if that had any thing to do w/that or not. I have noticed that I feel better w/out taking any Vitamins though. What do you take when you get a cold or a sinus infection? (I am riddled with those) I asked my Endo to no avail...And thanks for your reply.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Thank goodness, I haven't had a cold in probably 8-9 years! I somehow have a super immune system(don't know if that's good or bad ), and don't pick up anything my kids bring home. But, way back when I did get a cold, it got to the point where anything I took made my heart race and made me panic, so I ended up not taking anything.

Karen

Closed Thread