It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Doctor gave me the phone call I didn't want to hear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
    Greg Candido
    (male)

Greg Candido HB User
    Doctor gave me the phone call I didn't want to hear

The doctor called to tell me that they found two nodules on the right side of my Thyroid? One is 1.7 cm and the other 1 is 1 cm. This was a result after doing a ultrasound. He told me they have to do a biopsy on them. So what's next if its cancers or if its not. Is the process of the biopsy painful? He also an order to increase my Synthyriod from .50 to .75. I'm so nervous and don't know what to expect. Please someone tell the process??? How do they get rid of these nodules???

Greg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
    itsmefelee
    (female)

itsmefelee HB User
    Re: Doctor gave me the phone call I didn't want to hear

Hi Greg!

I know what you are going through... take a deep breath, it will be fine regardless of the outcome. The needle biospy is a bit uncomfortable at the time. Just keep telling yourself you are doing it for a good reason. (I kept thinking of my kids and contining with a long life during mine). I personally opted to surgically remove my nodule. Just remember that thyroid cancer is slow growing and the one to have if you had to choose a cancer.

Let me tell you my story.
    They found a nodule in my thyroid from a MRI to check my c-spine. They said it was 2.1cm This was new since my doctor had never noticed it before. Did a sonogram and was told it was solid. Did a nuclear uptake test and was told it was 'cold' (non functioning). Did two needle biopsy tests and both came back benign. Instead of waiting six months and checking it again, I told my doctor I wanted it out since it didn't belong there. Had surgery and they removed my right lobe and isthmus (center of thyroid which connects the two lobes). While I was still under anesthsia they sent it to the pathology department for a 'frozen section' for quick check to see if there was cancer. They didn't see any and they sewed my up leaving the left lobe in.

Final pathology report came two-three weeks later and showed cancer, the noduale was actually 1.7cm. Imagine my surprise! They wanted to remove the other half but I went to Sloan Kettering (I live in NY) and met with wonderful doctors that said if a nodule is 1.5cm or smaller they only remove that one lobe. Mine was only .2cm larger and it wasn't worth the risk of surgery again. This happened in 2002 and I am doing just fine. I see an endocronologist at Sloan every year now (was every 6months) and have sonograms and blood tests done.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You've got small nodules, and multiple ones, so your likelihood of cancer is really low. Ultrasounds indicate nothing in terms of cancer suspicion.

The FNA I had, an ENT did it, was really easy. I sat in a chair, and he stuck a needle in, drained some tissue/fluid, and I went home. My neck ached a couple of days, but nothing serious.

If the FNA's come back "suspicious" or cancerous, obviously, they'll be removed. If they read benign, they will probably keep an eye on them for growth and re-biopsy in the future. There is not much you can do for nodules other than remove them. Many pp. are walking around with benign nodules and don't even know it.

If the worst case happens, you'll probably have the thyroid removed (you can live fine without one, just take synthroid which you are doing anyway), and take an iodine pill to get rid of any thyroid tissue/ potential cancer remnants. That's about it for most forms of thyroid cancer. I doubt you have it, but it is curable.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

thanks reese-----i had a nuclear scan done last week and am waiting for the results and how my dr. wants to treat this. through an ultrasound of my carodits the found a "cyst" on my thyroid which led to a thyroid scan which showed multiple nodules and an enlarged right side. my blood work had always been ok so this was a surprise to my dr. and myself. i have read many times that multiple nodules are usually not cancerous. the waiting is till driving me nuts and i am so afraid of this FNA if that's what my dr. wants to do next. can't imagine sitting still while someone sticks a needle in my throat. UGH!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Don't be afraid of the fna. I had mine in radiology in a hospital.' outpatient. I was scared just like you but called and asked them to explain to me exactly how they did it so I would know. They deaden your neck with a small shot kind of like getting a tooth deadened, didn't hurt at all. The rest I didn't feel hardly at all. You just hear a little "crunch" when they put the needle in the nodule. We left the hospital and went to lunch. My neck was a little sore for a couple of days. I wouldn't be afraid to have it done again.

My sister in law had hers done in the doctors office without any deadening and she said it hurt. Her doctor sent her outpatient to hospital and she said it didn't hurt that time. Her doctor was inexperienced.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
    stephanie867
    (female)

stephanie867 HB User

I had an FNA done in April. It was nothing. They didn't numb me or anything. What was cool was that it was ultrasound guided and he let me watch the needle going in on the ultrasound machine.

Mine came back fine. That was 3 mos ago. I have to go for a followup this week to see if my nodule has grown at all...cross my fingers that it has not!

Closed Thread