It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Plaquenil and Hashimoto's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
    Tallwoman
    (female)

Tallwoman HB User
    Plaquenil and Hashimoto's

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for about 8 months now. My TSH at it's highest was 8. My antibodies were pretty high. I've been on a variety of meds and nothing seemed to really help me. I'd get my energy up, but then eye twitches, hand tremors and heart palps would get me. And then I got joint pains and even my gums felt sore.

I'm on a low dose of Levothroid right now (37.5-one and a half of 25 mcg.). I've also been given Cytomel (5 mcg) which I only take every other day. I can function, but somedays my joints were unbearable.

Before the Hashi's I was diagnosed with "an unspecific inflammatory autoimmune disease." I was seeing a rheumatologist who did every test possible from lupus to MS and rare diseases in between. No firm diagnosis.

At one point, my hair was falling out and I was feeling very tired and brain-fogged so the rheumatologist prescribed plaquenil which is a drug used in malaria, for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.

It didn't seem to help me a whole lot, and I had these ear symptoms of pressure, ringing and hearing loss. So I stopped the plaquenil.

I did notice that my hair stopped falling out and was good for a time.

Fast forward to the present. Though my labs right now are close to the normal range, my hair is still falling out. I've got half of what I used to have.
    Thank God, I started out with a lot.

So, I thought I'd try my plaquenil again. Amazing. All my joints stopped hurting. My gums feel normal again. I thought the meds were causing my joint pain and gum soreness. I've seen here that other people with hashi's have joint pain too. The hair loss also seems to be less.

Has anyone every heard of plaquenil being used to help people with Hashimoto's?

Sorry, this is so long. I just didn't know where else to turn. It's crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Plaquenil and Hashimoto's

That drug is not prescribed for people with Hashi's. I'm glad it's helping you though.

Quote:
    ...my labs right now are close to the normal range
    "Close" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as the old saying goes. If your thyroid levels aren't at an optimum place for you, close won't cut it. There is reason to believe your pain is likely connected with low thyroid, since there was no firm diagnosis to the contrary... So it should resolve once your levels are right.

As for the hair loss, you can also assume that as long as your hormone levels are fluctuating, the loss/regrowth cycles will continue to be skewed. When things become stable, hair will regrow and be shed at a normal rate.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-13-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
    Tallwoman
    (female)

Tallwoman HB User

Thanks midwest1 for your reply. It is taking so long to get to a good level. When I said my levels were almost normal, I meant they were around 2. I think normal for me used to be less than 1 (according to old TSH test results before diagnosis). So, maybe it's not low enough for me yet. I wish my doctor would be willing to order the test results more frequently until we get it right. Now he has me waiting until October. He prescribed Cytomel and it's causing palpitations. Weird, they only come when the Cytomel is wearing off. Kind of like rebound heart palps. I don't know what to think anymore. The more I learn about these disease and its treatment, it seems the less I know.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

Tallwoman,
    Your post really caught my eye! I have been wondering lately if my symptoms were from my thyroid. I have had weight gain while trying to watch my diet!! I am always tired and bloated. But what you said-- my right eyelid has been almost constantly been twitching!!! Is that from your meds or your thyroid being out of wack???
    I also have joint pain, especially in my foot!
    I also read that Celiac Disease that I have is sometimes related to hypthyroidism.
    I have 2 doctors appointments tomorrow, so I will ask them. First is my gastro for celiac, then my gyno. I'm wondering if my symptoms are from menopause???
    Thanks! elphers

Closed Thread