It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Menstrual Cycle and Hypo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User
    Unhappy Menstrual Cycle and Hypo

I have been away from the boards for awhile but am crawling back for some advice. My cycle has gotten worse and worse every month. The only thing my doctor can suggest is Birth control pills. I am 33 and do not want to take them.My hubby had the snip done so we don't need them. Is there anything that can help with the severity of the cramps? It lasts a full week and the forst 2 days are very heavy flow. I am sick of it. ANy suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
    ExPerkyTina
    (female)

ExPerkyTina HB User
    Re: Menstrual Cycle and Hypo

Well, I don't have the answers for you, but I will say that bad periods is what led me to getting help. I now see I have been having symptoms for years. But, the fatigue, headaches, body aches and other symptoms were severe during my period. At first it was just the first couple of days. Then, it would go longere and longer. After about a year, I would have the symptoms for the whole week. My gyno thought it was an estrogen problem. He tested me for menopause. Was negative. He said I seemed to just have low estrogen overall. So, he put me on estrogen. It did seem to be connected to birth control pill hormones because I would get better after starting them after my period. Well, five weeks ago, the symptoms got real bad when my period hit and didn't leave. Even though I took estrogen for three days. I noticed I felt just as bad on the fourth day as I did the first. That's when I knew it was more than estrogen.

I am thinking there is a connection though. Obviously. I just don't have the answer. But, I am planning to go to an endocrinologist to check my whole adenal system.

Let me know if you find something.

Tina

Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heddy73
    It lasts a full week and the forst 2 days are very heavy flow. I am sick of it. ANy suggestions?
    Are you on synthroid? If you are ask your Dr. to test your free T3. I have Hashi's and my body wasn't converting very well so my T3 was really low. I had a horribly heavy menstrual cycle for years. I had to sleep with extra towels under me at night (this on top of tampon and extra heavy pad). I thought it was just me but when the Dr. switched me to Armour, the heavy flow stopped. I'm not exaggerating, within 2 months I finally had what I thought was a normal period, and they continue to be regular without that heavy flow.

I forgot to add, and I apologize if this is TMI, but on those two really heavy days I would be worried about leaving the house. Things seemed to soak through right away and need changing again. This went on for like 10 years.

Last edited by Kharma; 08-22-2006 at 09:33 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User

Thanks for your replies. Its not too much info for me. Thats why I put menstrual in the title. So men would not get a surprise when they peeked into this thread. I am on Levoxyl. A very small dose. I just went back to dr. 1 month ago with horrible symptoms. Out of the 11 symptoms I found on my hypo list I had 10. She gave me the Levoxyl samples then sent me for blood work. I have to go back in a couple of weeks for more blood work and a possible change in meds. It had lightened up to regular period flow today(day 3). But yesterday and the day before I was changing a pad every half hour. I have never went thru a whole bag of pads in 2 days before. Except when I had given birth. I will mention the t3 med. I know she doesn't do Armour. I asked before. I hate to leave her because after 4 regular dr.'s telling me I was depressed she actually listened to me and said sometimes the symptoms show up years before the blood work says your hypo.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i t5hink you are right there is a connectoin with hypo thyroxine and estrogen, im 36 i have heavy periods also and they are looking into my adrenals as well i have to take iron do you? as the blood loss leads to low iron as it sounds like you have massive loss more than me in fact, im finding it impossible to tolerate the iron> atleast thats what i think it is?? ive been having runny poo and its green??? sorry LOL and also sorry to the boys reading this maybe you should stop reading you lucky things that you dont have to go through this lol loads!!!! so i may have to stop but i cant as i will get ill does anyone else get a upset belly also??? i was going to do a thread myself on this so we can get some awnsers, my doc said i should have the marina coil it lasts for 5 years a ns is supposed to lighten im not into birth control pills either, i think the coil has very mild estrogen?? all replys gratfully recieved , this is a good post as im sure a lot of girls out there have this prob, if you are bleeding like this your iron will take a battering so get it checked out it will also knock your ferritin down and b6 and b12 make sure that you check them out thanks love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
    (female)

3962 HB User

I am on synthriod 88mcg. I also have horrible periods. I am 35 and go 2 or 3 months with nothing, then I'll spot for a few days. Then some months it starts normal and gets very heavy with lots of clotting. Now I started bleeding in June and have not stopped at all. I have been bleeding for 2 months every day some days lighter than others and other days its just horrible and pain. I went just got finished taking 6 birthcontrol pills a day to force stop the bleeding today was the first day in 2 months I have not bleed at all. Now my doctor wants me to stay on birthcontrol but 1 a day I dont want to be on it but for now I guess I have no choice until we can find a way to get it back to normal.

Last edited by 3962; 08-24-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
    clueless42
    (female)

clueless42 HB User

Increased menstrual flow is a symptom of hypoT. Also, women with thyroid problems usually have difficulty getting pregnant. I've had KILLER periods for YEARS and was told it was due to fibroids. 2 years ago I went hyper for almost a year, did not know it at the time, lost weight and had periods that lasted about 2 days with hardly any cramping. Then they got really bad again-heavy bleeding, unbarable cramping, leg and back pain. Then I was diagnosed with hashis and had a multinodular goitor removed. My periods have gotten a little better. I am still working on stabilizing my harmone levels. I am currently taking 240 mcg of Armour. I'm hoping they keep getting better!

Closed Thread