It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fine Needle Biopsy is Tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
    EmsMommy7
    (female)

EmsMommy7 HB User
    Unhappy Fine Needle Biopsy is Tomorrow

Hi... I had posted a while back, I found a lump on my neck. Turns out it's a 4.5cm cystic nodule. I saw an ENT who suggested I have this procedure with a guided ultrasound, at the hospital. I think he would have done it in his office, but I was a crying mess. I have extreme anxiety about this. I lost both of my parents to cancer when I was only a senior in college. I'm 35 now with a 3 year old and a new baby. The ENT seemed to think that this is indeed related to recently being pregnant and giving birth, although my bloodwork came back "normal." The more I read though, I'm learning that normal bloodwork doesn't really mean much. I'm terrified of needles and things also and just beside myself with worry. The doctor even wrote me a valium prescription and suggested I take one an hour before the procedure tomorrow, along with some extra strength Tylenol. Anyway, I guess I don't have a question here. Just desperate to write down my fears to people who maybe have an idea about what I'm going through?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User
    Re: Fine Needle Biopsy is Tomorrow

Ems Mommy:
    Take a deep breath and relax! Good news is that your doctor is on the right path sending you to a hospital to have the procedure, you have valium and some pain meds in case.

The procedure is realtively easy. I had it done in May by my endo. A little topical anestethic and some injected and I was fine. Didn't hurt a bit. The guided ultrasound will help the docs get into the cyst. They normally take four samples - meaning you'll get stuck 4-5 times. You'll feel pressure, they'll ask you to swallow a few times. Then it is done.

I am 38, have two kids, and mine turned out to me papillary carcinoma. Thank god I didn't wait to see if the nodule would shrink. Had my thryoid out, and subsequent radiation treatment. Am on the road to recovery. Although cancer is the worst case scenario, it is unusual and curable. Just think positive and thank your lucky stars we live in an age where modern medicine is a blessing.

You are right to point out blood work tells nothing with regards to nodules. I too was freaked out by the whole thing and still am somewhat. But, keep with this board and remember people can help.

Take care and let us know how everything went.!

Kathy

Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
    EmsMommy7
    (female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply, Kathy. I have been reading on here for two weeks and just scour for as much information as possible. Not sure if it's helping to calm me or making me more anxious! Your post helped though. I hope I have a relatively easy time. My guess is that what I build up in my head is worse than what it will actually BE. Sigh.... Guess I'll go attempt to get some sleep tonight!!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
    bhgymteach
    (female)

bhgymteach HB User

I had a FNA done in May. I was scared to death as well but it wasn't nearly as bad as what I anticipated. Take your valium and tylenol. I was sore because I didn't take any.

My FNA came back benign and no malignant cells found. I am still scared because I keep reading that I should still worry. I am so confused?

I go for another u/s in October to see what the cyst is doing. Mine is definately fluid filled. I would love to hear other stories about these kinds of cases but I never really get any replies.

Best of luck to you! Report back when you get your results.
    I will be thinking of you.
    Barb

Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

It will be ok.....

I was terrified too, and my doctor put some lidocaine on my neck first to numb it. They don't normally do that unless you ask.....so ask!
    The stress and worrying about it was WAY worse than the procedure......
    You will do fine.......promise!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
    EmsMommy7
    (female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

Barb, I actually just answered your post before coming to this one. :-)

Well, you were right. It was not as bad as I thought. The anticipation and the mental and emotional thoughts of what I went through was worse than the physical pain. I am very sore now though.

He ended up aspirating the entire thing. It was really quite disgusting to me. He showed me this giant syringe of fluid that he said looked like motor oil. Then he got another half a syringe of it. He said it was 2 oz. Gross, sorry. So he had the ultrasound thing on me and was saying, "it's gone... there's nothing left in there." I just didn't expect he was going to do that. I am happy about that. After that part, he did some biopsy stuff, I guess going in different areas around there to get samples? They left to take it up to pathology, or wherever, and my husband was able to come back in with me. I was telling him how it didn't hurt like I thought it would. The numbing needle pinched, but after that I didn't really feel anything. Well then the doctor came back and said they didnt' get enough, had to go back in, and THAT hurt. I felt a lot of it and was terribly sore afterwards. I am swollen and in pain when I swallow, talk, yawn, etc. Basically the worst sore throat of my life! They came back again and said they didn't really have enough but they would test what they had. I hope I dont' have to go back and go through this a second time. Ugh!

So now I wait for the ENT to call. I hope it's soon. Thanks to you all for your kind words.

Nancy

Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
    bhgymteach
    (female)

bhgymteach HB User

Nancy,

Let me know what the results are. I am quite interested in hearing about similar stories since most people hear don't have fluid filled cysts or nodules, I haven't had many replies.

You are so lucky that he was able to aspirate it. Mine is took thick. I was hit in the neck and the trauma caused a blood vessel to burst. That is why the dr. said it was too thick to aspirate. They did biopsy it though and they said it is benign.

Good luck to you!!
    Barb

Old 09-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #8
    EmsMommy7
    (female)

EmsMommy7 HB User

Barb,
    I found out last Friday that it was "a benign cyst with no evidence of malignancy." I have replayed THOSE words over in my head more than once, let me tell you. I plan to call the ENT today and ask about where I go from here, a followup appt., etc. I think he may send me to an Endo. anyway. Obviously something wasn't right for this thing to form in the first place. It was probably brought on by my pregnancy, but still... I'd feel better if I could monitor my thyroid and NOT have this thing come back.

I'm glad yours is benign as well, though what will they do to remove it if they can't aspirate it? I didn't expect them to aspirate mine completely so that it's gone, and I am so relieved now that it's just not there. I hope you are able to get some satisfactory answers. Good Luck!! Let me know too, how you are doing.

P.S. I am bruised unbelievably!! I returned to work/school yesterday (I am also a teacher) and everyone was asking about it, thought I was in a car accident, etc... Our guidance secretary even told me that she went through several thyroid nodule biopsies and ended up with cancer unfortunately, but she said she never looked like I do. I should take a picture.. it's just really awful looking.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
    bhgymteach
    (female)

bhgymteach HB User

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you are so bruised. That stinks!
    Right now they are planning to monitor the size of my cyst by taking another u/s in October with a follow up visit. I think the only option this ENT spoke of is a complete right lobe removal. I don't think that sounds right to me but I am going back again to ask more questions etc. after the u/s. If I am not satisfied then, I plan to see an endo.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing and what your next step is if there is one. Do you have a goiter? I do. It isn't too big right now though, thank God. No one notices unless I point it out.

Barb

Old 09-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
    Flyby61
    (female)

Flyby61 HB User

Hi emsmum,
    This is my first post on the boards although I have been reading the board for a few weeks as I to was being sent for a FNA. Good news is i went for my FNA last tuesday and found the whole thing a breeze and I had spent two weeks freaking out about it.The needle itself didnt actually feel like I had a needle it felt more like someone had placed their thumb against my throat and given a quick push.I also suffer from anxiety so I took half a xanax before leaving home.My husband and i went for lunch straight after the test which is how fine i felt once it was done.The extra good news is that I have my results back and everything is fine and i just need a follow up appointment with my GP to keep a check on my meds.I hope you and anyone else going for a FNA finds this a comfort and a help as I know when we are going through this we always think the worst is going to happen as i did the weeks leading up to mine.Good luck with it all.

Flyby

Closed Thread