It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Adrenal Nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
    smvdelv
    (female)

smvdelv HB User
    Adrenal Nodule

Hi,

My husband has high blood pressure and has been taking medicine for it. The medecine was not taking his BP down enough in the doctor's opionion, so he tried switching him to lisinopril, but his blood test showed a high level of creatinin (Sp?) after taking this for a few weeks, so he took him off it and did an MRI to check and make sure his artery to his kidney was not blocked. He has been a nervous wreck with all of this. His MRI showed no blockage, but they did find a nodule on his adrenal gland which the doctor said he wanted to pursue just to be safe, so he had a CT scan today. When he went, they said they were going to do a scan first without the dye, and if the nodule was under a certain size, they wouldn't need to inject the dye. Well, it was obviously over the size limit because they did end up having to inject the dye.

He is just a mess over all of this. The doctor told him the other day that he is not worried (if he were, he would have said something because this doctor always shoots from the hip) but wants to follow thru on all tests to make sure his HBP is not caused by something else. But my husband is totally convinced that because they had to inject the dye, that his nodule is cancerous and he is going to die! He is 49 and his mother died when she was 49, but of something totally unrelated (aneurysm to the heart, but she had a bad heart) so he is convinced that he is going to die,too! Help! Has anyone else had a nodule like this? I need to reassure him before he drives himself (and me!!!) nuts!!! Thanks for listening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
    flourishing
    (female)

flourishing HB User
    Re: Adrenal Nodule

Hi smvdelv

Your husband's doctor is doing the proper things to check and diagnose, so really your husband shouldn't panic until he know's what he's dealing with.

If your husband has BP problems he really shouldn't get upset and worried over this - easier said than done I know - my dad is on BP medication and always worries and makes his BP worse too which is never a good thing.

The dye is routine so your hubby has nothing to be concerned about

Old 09-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

try not to worry. i know that's easier said than done. accidentally through an abdominal CT scan about 5 years ago they found a nodule on my adrenal gland. i have a repeat CT scan done every year to play it safe. in 5 years it has never changed. don't know what it is or why i have it but it's been there for years with no changes.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

I'm sure your doctor is thinking that the growth might be a pheochromocytoma, which IS a nodule growing on the adrenal gland that can cause uncontrollable high b/p, facial flushing, feeling hot, and anxiety. It is usually not cancerous, and can be removed, which takes the problems away as well.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
    rck213
    (female)

rck213 HB User

I have personal experience with this.
    Your husband is lucky someone is on the ball and willing to pursue this.
    It is usually not cancerous, the dye during the CT doesn't mean anything.

Look up Conn's Syndrome. I have recently been diagnosed with it after 13 years of hypertension that couldn't be controlled by any meds, exercise , diet or wt loss. My BP has risen steadily since 2000, but the docs solution was to keep changing meds, all of which I reacted to sooner or later.

There are also other hormones the nodule (adenoma) could be producing. Look up adrenal adenoma. OR it could mean absolutely nothing and will just need occasional monitoring .

I finally was referred to a nephrologist, he did some bloodwork which pointed to an elevated aldosterone level,
    I also had falling serum potassium levels. I then had the CT angio and CT of the kidneys and adrenals, with and without the dye. I had a renal artery stenosis on the right side and a left adrenal adenoma, 1.5 cm in size.

Since my bloodwork showed the aldosterone elevation and the low potassium, I then had adrenal and renal venous blood sampling and a balloon angioplasty of the right renal artery.

The blood sampling showed I was producing over 5 times more aldosterone from the left adrenal than the right meaning the adenoma was producing aldosterone.
    Removal of the left adrenal gland could, in theory, cure my hypertension BUT because it has been long standing there may be damage to my blood vessels which will still make me hypertensive but at least manageable

I wouldn't obscess over the tumor, if his doctor isn't worried about cancer I wouldn't be either, that is rare.
    The size of the tumor is a good indicator, In some places it says >4 cm others >6 cm is where you MAY be looking at cancer.

Closed Thread