It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• questions about recovery after thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
    rolos_girl
    (female)

rolos_girl HB User
    Question questions about recovery after thyroidectomy

Hello everyone! I had a partial thyroidectomy when I was 14, then the rest of it removed 1 week ago today. For some reason I do not remember anything from when I was 14!!! No pain, do not remember ever needing to remove the steri strips, do not remember worrying about the scarring like I am now.. With both surgeries, I had internal stitches and glue used externally. A few questions for some who have been through this:

#1) My incision looks pretty good, but it is quite swollen underneath the
    incision. There is a 1 inch area above and below the incision, the entire
    length of it,that is swollen. Doesn't look red, though. Is this normal?
    Also, it feels quite hard underneath the incision? Also normal?

#2) The skin just above my incision is a bit numb and tingly. Feels kind of
    funny when I touch it. Is this normal?

#3) Anyone out there had a partial thyroidectomy, and then have another
    surgery through the same incision? I am wondering how the second
    incision heals? Does it not heal as well due to the previous scar tissue?

#4) Probably the most frustrating symptom is I feel like I am choking a bit,
    almost all the time. But, somethines it gets bad enough that I feel very
    nauseous. This comes and goes throughout the day, and I am wondering
    if it is due to the swelling? My surgeon really didn't have any answers
    (no suprise there). Anyone else experience this?

ver all, my recovery had been great. The choking/nausea is just frustrating. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. I read Ora's thread about caring for the incision. Thanks so much!!! I took the steri stips off myself and am lubing up with alot of neosporin!!! looks ok so far!!

Thanks all,
    Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: questions about recovery after thyroidectomy

Melissa,
    The good news is, in a year or so from now, you'll have forgotten a lot about this surgery as well!

My surgery was a year and a half ago. I don't remember too much, but I remember my neck feeling numb and sometimes tight for quite a while---and I think that happens in the area you have any surgery done.

I did have some minor swallowing issues early on, and I found liquids and course foods both a bit hard to get down---but I recommend ice cream---it was soothing, and the perfect consistency!

Most of the things you find uncomfortable now, will probably get better within the next month or two. In terms of swelling, although it's normal, you should definitely call your surgeon about it. I had a lump under the scar, and it felt burning hot and red to the touch, and my surgeon said it was a bit infected.

You sound like everything is normal and you sound like you are doing well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
    bkerber
    (female)

bkerber HB User
    Re: questions about recovery after thyroidectomy

Hi Melissa,
    I had my total thyroidectomy 1 week ago today, so I am basically at the same place as you. I dont have a scar to reincise so I cant answer that question but I'll tell you where I am with everything else. My scar is quite long since my nodule was large and she needed to look at my lymph nodes. I guess 2 days after surgery the incision sort of puffed up and in the center below it Im guessing about the place the little dip in your collar bone is was hard and somewhat swollen. Of course being Labor Day weekend I couldnt see her but the doc on call told me that as long as I could breathe and if there wasnt a lot of bruising then I was ok. On Sunday I think it got the worst. I had the feeling that it was pushing on my throat and it was a little more difficult to swallow. I felt a little panicky so I took a xanax and it made it better. Yesterday I went to see my doc just in case. I was afraid it would end up looking like this forever. She said it looked alright. She did drain a small bit of excess fluid off and it does feel better. It's still hard and puffed up some but I have my peace of mind back. I was instructed in the hospital that if I had trouble breathing to go to the ER if I couldnt see my doc. I guess bleeding can be a big deal if it isnt stopped. My doc wasnt concerned because I told her that it had not gotten any worse. Good luck to you and keep me up to date on your progress!

Becky

Closed Thread