It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Synthroid not relieving symptoms...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
    CindyZ
    (female)

CindyZ HB User
    Synthroid not relieving symptoms...

Hi, I'm new here, looking for some information.

I've been on and off synthroid for the past few years. I've had borderline hypothyroidism (according to the numbers) for about 10 years. When I started getting very tired and depressed I decided to try the meds.

Synthroid has eased some of the depression and sleepiness, but I'm still kind of mentally foggy, and still have extremely dry skin, brittle hair, numb fingers and toes, low blood pressure, inability to lose weight, dizziness, and crankiness. I know the low does of Synthroid brings my numbers into the normal range, and my t3 is always in the normal range.

Is it possible/likely that any of the alternative treatments, i.e. Armour, Cytomel, would help me not just have pretty numbers but actually feel better?
    Does anyone have experiences with this?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
    anah
    (female)

anah HB User
    Re: Synthroid not relieving symptoms...

Hi Cindy, I'm not a "seasoned thyroid sufferer", a new doc recently told me everything pointed to low thyroid, I'm waiting on some blood test results, butI have been doing alot of research and talking to people who have been dealing with this for years.

Everyone on thyroid meds (and articles I've read) tell me that if you at first feel better and some symptoms are relieved by your thyroid meds, and then you start feeling WORSE or just not any better, you need your dosage increased. Reason for this is that when you start taking thyroid meds, your own thyroid stops making the hormone because your body is getting it from somewhere else. So at first, your disfunctioning thyroid IS putting out some (normally) and then you have the boost of your meds. But then your thyroid stops putting out anything, and your meds are staying the same so you aren't getting enough thyroid hormone.................answer is generally to increase meds, EVERYONE says that staying on a "starter dose" for more than a couple of weeks or so is a recipe to feel worse or see no improvement, that the dosage has to be increased to get you to where you want to be. To low of a dose is said to put you in a "hypo hole" of symptoms.

Also, did you have your ferratin checked for low levels (shows how much iron you have stored in your body) -- thyroid meds aren't suppose to work as well as they should if your ferratin is low, this can cause the tiredness and other symptoms of low thyroid as well. Cortisol can be low if your adrenals are working overtime because of a low thyroid, have that checked. Also have read that even on a T4 med only, like Synthroid, your adrenals can be low on cortisol and cause you to feel crummy because your body doesn't have enough T3 --- Most people can convert the T4 in Synthroid to T3 on their own, but some people have to take an additonal T3 supplement, but Armour has both and no supplement is needed if this is your problem.

I have just read alot and tried to educate myself, I know that knowing I have a low thyroid and getting meds doesn't mean I'll instantly feel better, especially if the low thryoid has stress my adrenals and I need to increase my cortisol level, have low iron, low B12, etc. Isocort tabs are supposed to be a good way to help your adrenals be where they need to be. I think they are over the counter.

I also need to make sure all my levels of the things above are acceptable, good luck and take care of yourself!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

Hi cindy,
    I didnt do too well on levothyroxine(uk name for synthyroid) and have been on Armour for the last few months and now feel at 15 yrs younger.
    The brain fog, fatigue weight gain sore joints and muscles, they have all gone. My skin is still a tad dry but at 42 its most probably due to my age than anything thyroid related.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CindyZ
    ... I've been on and off synthroid for the past few years. I've had borderline hypothyroidism (according to the numbers) for about 10 years.

... I know the low does of Synthroid brings my numbers into the normal range, and my t3 is always in the normal range.

Is it possible/likely that any of the alternative treatments, i.e. Armour, Cytomel, would help me not just have pretty numbers but actually feel better?
    Does anyone have experiences with this?

Before considering recommendations for alternative treatments, could you provide the numbers you are describing as "normal?" It would help to see which tests were done, the resulting number and the lab ranges for each test.

So often the problem is not getting enough medication rather than a need to change the med.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User

Synthroid isn't the only medicine. Personally I tolerate it MUCH better when its taken in conjunction with Armour or Cytomel or Thyrolar. You may want to look into one of those medicines.

Now I'm on my 3rd Doctor in the 8 months since I started Thyroid medicine. I've had to be agressive, cuz NO ONE is just gonna hand it to me, until they KNOW how important my health & well being *IS* to me

take care,
    Sue

Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
    CindyZ
    (female)

CindyZ HB User
    Follow-up/Cytomel...

Saw my doctor this week. He tested my blood (never gives me the actual numbers and I'm usually to frazzled on the phone to ask) and said there was "room" to change the prescription, meaning that although it was in the "normal" range, it hadn't swung toward hyper so that if I was still having symptoms that I didn't like, we could tinker with my prescription. He said we could either increase the does of synthroid or add cytomel. I said that I'd like to try the cytomel.

So, anything I should be aware of when starting cytomel? Any tips?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

It sounds like your doctor is a keeper. He will probably add the Cytomel in a very small dose so you don't get too much. It is a fast acting form of the thyroid hormone so you will know within hours or a day if you are getting too much.

If you have any doubts about the amount he prescribes take less and see how your body reacts. If there are no problems move up to the prescribed dose gradually, by breaking pills in half if necessary.

I am on Cytomel as part of the prep for an uptake scan (I am normally on Synthroid) and I was concerned about the amount my endo prescribed so I took less. He prescribed 25mcg three times a day and, even after a little more than two weeks on it I am just now approaching that amount. The most I've taken so far is 2 times the 25mcg pill and at bedtime 1/2 of a 25mcg pill. I figured my body would tell me when to increase the dose and that has proven to be true. The Synthroid that I discontinued about 4 weeks ago has finally gotten completely out of my system and I will probably try the full recommended dose (3 times 25mcg) in a day or two. I haven't needed it yet but I get tired late in the day so it's probably time.

As a supplement to Synthroid your dose will probably be much less than I am taking--5 or 10 mcg per day, perhaps. Whatever the dose, be conservative and careful and watch for signs that you are getting too much: rapid heart beat, hot flashes, that sort of thing. If you just feel hot right after you take the Cytomel don't be too worried as long as the heart palpitations don't come on. If you get that pounding in your chest where you can feel each heart beat and they are coming fast like you have just run a marathon, back off.

Closed Thread