It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Why Do My Doctors Ignore T3?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User
    Why Do My Doctors Ignore T3?

In March I started having hypo symptoms; weight gain, fatigue, hair breaking off, dry skin. My primary physician ordered a TSH and T4, and T3 antibodies. and it came back low. The T3 came back borderline (the very last number) low and the antibnodies were abut 5 points from "normal." He didn't think any adjustments needed to be made. When I later inquired about the T3, he said that the order for T3 was actually a mistake, and that low T3 did not need to be treated

Months and countless hypo symptoms later, I finally get a referral to an endocriniologist, and she doesn't order a T3 test!

I've been on very close to the same dosage of levothyroxine (or Synthroid) for 33 years, and eveyone is OK with that. Except me, of course.

Is there some danger in prescribing too much T3? Are they worried about my high blood pressure? I've heard being hypo or having Hashi's can raise blood pressure. Why can't I just try the T3????

I just don't get it.

Last edited by Tamsin; 09-16-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
    kimann
    Veteran
    (female)

kimann HB User
    Re: Why Do My Doctors Ignore T3?

Tamsin,
    Thyroid dysfunction is new to me, and I am daily being amazed at the number of professionals who overlook obvious s/s, and refuse to consider their patient's needs. I know this is not an easy process, but you need to keep pushing, keep going to new docs until you find one who will adjust your meds until you and your symptoms are responsive.
    Yes, hypo can elevate bp, and they should be concerned about that. Its contribution to bp and heart disease is one reason for seeking proper medication levels, not a valid excuse for not medicating!
    Too much Thyroid med could make you hyper, but you would certainly start low to begin with and adjust upwards until you were stable, and you'd note the s/s and see your Doc for adjustment.
    Keep pushing! Kim

Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mainstream medicine thinks that a body will invariably convert just exactly as much T3 as it needs from the supply of T4 that Synthroid (or other levoT med) provides. And since mainstream medicine changes its mind less often than Halley's comet comes around, you've been stuck for 33 years with Synthroid.

A few brave thyroid pioneers know that this theory is patently absurd, and that plenty of patients have either trouble converting T4 due to things such as adrenal stress, or they can't make use of the converted T3 at the tissue level.

You may be one of those who needs some T3 in her daily dose. You'll never convince the MD you've been seeing; it would be better to find an MD who thinks like a thyroid pioneer. Osteopaths very often are more willing to prescribe T3 and to prescribe enough to get the job done. Or you could check Armour thyroid's physician finder on its site to locate a more thyroid savvy doc in your area.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

Thanks for the replies!

The Armour guide suggestion is a good one!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Tamsin-I am one of those who is unsuccessful with T3 therapy. But it could very well be the very thing you need. I had very bad heart palps. and very rapid heart beat, along with my hands and feet going numb on me when I took Armour. But I would never have known that it wasn't for me, until I tried it. Since you already have high blood pressure though, just be sure you throughally discuss it with your medical professional, and what symptoms you may need to be watching for (if any) should it not be right for you. Good Luck!

Last edited by Red Maple; 09-17-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

Red Maple, did you find anything that did work?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Tamsin- I am on 100 mcg of Synthroid and that seems to be the best dosage of T4 replacement hormone for me. Also I do yoga regularly to relieve the aches and pains especially in my shoulders. I have practiced yoga for about 12 years now, long before my thyroid problems. I eat a very good diet, (not perfect I do love a treat sometimes) but also make sure to get plenty of veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Midwest tipped me off to selenium as a dietary supplement, it helps some people to better convert T4 to T3 . It also seems to help me feel better. I make sure to get some aerobic exercise regularly to tune up my metabolism. I bought a treadmill and use it everyday for a good walk/jog. Sometimes it hard to get myself going on it, but I always feel better afterwards. Regular exercise helps me with the fatigue. The thing that helps the very most however, is a positive attitude to how good I do feel and not dwell on the lingering symptoms of hypoism. I live a very active full life, and plan on continuing that for a very long time.

I do not mean in any way to discourage you from trying Armour, or Cytomel. It could just be what you need. However, those who have been so successful with T3 therapy, have only gotten better with its use. They haven't experienced a negative side of it as I have. Just be cautious when you try it. I hope it's the best thing you have ever done for yourself!

Last edited by Red Maple; 09-18-2006 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
    CyberGodess
    (female)

CyberGodess HB User
    Smile Re: Why Do My Doctors Ignore T3?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tamsin
    In March I started having hypo symptoms; weight gain, fatigue, hair breaking off, dry skin. My primary physician ordered a TSH and T4, and T3 antibodies. and it came back low. The T3 came back borderline (the very last number) low and the antibnodies were abut 5 points from "normal." He didn't think any adjustments needed to be made. When I later inquired about the T3, he said that the order for T3 was actually a mistake, and that low T3 did not need to be treated

Months and countless hypo symptoms later, I finally get a referral to an endocriniologist, and she doesn't order a T3 test!

I've been on very close to the same dosage of levothyroxine (or Synthroid) for 33 years, and eveyone is OK with that. Except me, of course.

Is there some danger in prescribing too much T3? Are they worried about my high blood pressure? I've heard being hypo or having Hashi's can raise blood pressure. Why can't I just try the T3????

I just don't get it.
    Almost everyone in the medical field believes that the body automatically converts T4 to T3. This is completely false! There are thousands of things that can inhibit this process. Most all hypothyroid patients don't feel well unless both Free T4 and Free T3 is in the upper end of the ranges. Insist on getting a FT3 test (new range is 3.5 - 7.5). The labs are three years behind the times!

Good Luck!

Old 09-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi kAT purs here,
    my mate mandy milne has just been prescribed a t3 drug along with her t4 synthetic stuff she is on 75 of levo thyroxine and the doc has said knock it down by 50 and take 20 of the t3 twice a day?? this seems a big drop for her and it would be bad if this causes a crash also i would have thought it would have made sense to have done it a bit more gentle like !! lol it seems a very big drop in t4 and a big rise in the t3 she hasnt been well for a long time and i think she should try it , does any one have any advice on this for her we would be very gratefull you all sound so learned over there in the states im guessing thats where you guys are from the docs over there seem more into the t3 and armour and more with it on the testing over here in britain we have to push really hard to get this sort of thing thanks guys and hope you can give us a saftey line lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

Closed Thread