It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyriod & Anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
    Tina721
    (female)

Tina721 HB User
    Hypothyriod & Anemia

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid about 8 years ago had surgery. I am taking medication (for the rest of my life) plus I was diagnosed with Anemia 2 months ago I have to go in for B12 shots once a month... before it was once a week. The doctor told me that a Thyroid disorder and Amenia are connected anyone out there has the same diagnosis????? I feel tired all the time especially the past week and a half and my legs hurt when I walk or do some chores around the house. Lets discuss

Be well
    Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
    anah
    (female)

anah HB User
    Re: Hypothyriod & Anemia

Hi Tina, I'm new to the forum, was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid and put on Synthroid. I've been anemic because of low hemoglobin/iron for years, had a blood transfusion 2 years ago (not fun, but my hemoglobin was "7" and my doc was very concerned because it had been going down steadily over the months--- very heavy menstrual cycles.) During all this testing, he found I was very low on B12, hence the pernicious anemia came into play also.
    I too took the shots every day, then once a week, now monthly. My husband or daughter (she is going to school to be a nurse) give them to me. I've been doing this about 2 yrs. now.

With the "double" anemia as I call it, and hypo, I struggle with fatique daily. Hopefully the thyroid med will help with that, just wish I knew how long it will be before I can feel an improvement! I have sharp shooting pains in various places, alot in my sides or back, and I my left leg gets very achy all over at times, like it hurts in my bones........and my left hip joint sometimes can be excruciating. I dont' know if its from any of my "known" problems or not.........................during my menstrual cycle, the cramping radiates down my thighs.

I am going to a new doc that prefers me to have the B12/B6 combo shot, its just more expensive because he wants to mix it and give it there at this office instead of giving a prescription. He thinks the added B6 makes a world of difference, I've only had two so far, so I'm not sure yet. I just had my blood drawn today to check for low ferratin, ever had that done?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi there - I also have Hypoth Hashi's, I have been having a lot of problems - especially bad pains under both of my ribs (front side), balance problems, dizzieness and looking pale. I had a B12 test back in May, it was 272; range (180 - 800) I think this is low. What was your level.

You said that you had pain in your sides; where abouts. My sister has just been diagnosed with Perniscious Anemia - she has the B12 shots.

I think that this THYROID PROBLEM STINKS>><<

I have never felt right since I have been diagnosed last Aug.

Mandy. x

Old 09-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
    anah
    (female)

anah HB User

Mandy, my pains are mostly at the bottom of my rib cage, on the side right above my waist..........and in the center of my back on one side or the other of my spine..................Good luck with the b12, hope you start feeling better.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
    Sher91
    (female)

Sher91 HB User

I have pain in my right side just under my ribs and my right hip and legs can hurt and I suffer from iron deficency. I feel the same way about the whole thyroid I have not been healthy since. I had mind out in 2004 and its been a rollercoaster ride ever since. Are the doctors actually giving us the right dosage or right stuff how come so many of us feel like crap. I feel like I am an old person. I feel I can't be the mum I want to be because I am so tired all the time. Good luck everyone with your journey. Sher91

Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
    Tina721
    (female)

Tina721 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anah
    Hi Tina, I'm new to the forum, was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid and put on Synthroid. I've been anemic because of low hemoglobin/iron for years, had a blood transfusion 2 years ago (not fun, but my hemoglobin was "7" and my doc was very concerned because it had been going down steadily over the months--- very heavy menstrual cycles.) During all this testing, he found I was very low on B12, hence the pernicious anemia came into play also.
    I too took the shots every day, then once a week, now monthly. My husband or daughter (she is going to school to be a nurse) give them to me. I've been doing this about 2 yrs. now.

With the "double" anemia as I call it, and hypo, I struggle with fatique daily. Hopefully the thyroid med will help with that, just wish I knew how long it will be before I can feel an improvement! I have sharp shooting pains in various places, alot in my sides or back, and I my left leg gets very achy all over at times, like it hurts in my bones........and my left hip joint sometimes can be excruciating. I dont' know if its from any of my "known" problems or not.........................during my menstrual cycle, the cramping radiates down my thighs.

I am going to a new doc that prefers me to have the B12/B6 combo shot, its just more expensive because he wants to mix it and give it there at this office instead of giving a prescription. He thinks the added B6 makes a world of difference, I've only had two so far, so I'm not sure yet. I just had my blood drawn today to check for low ferratin, ever had that done?
    Hi Anah

Thank you for the reply I havent done that combo yet it hasnt come up. I went to see another doctor and she is checking everything. I feel better today ( but how long is it going to last) lol... One question did you ever has a bump on a bruise? Ive had this for 2 weeks its slowing going down...we will see what the test shows if she considers giving me the b12/b6 combo I am all for it. I am just sick of feeling tired and having no energy.

Happy Health
    Tina x

Last edited by Tina721; 09-19-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Don't have them at my fingertips, but have come across a few research studies (PubMed) that show as hypothyroid is adequately treated, anemia tends to improve.

Another factor to consider, esp. where low B12 & anemia coexist with autoimmune thyroid disease like Hashi's, is celiac disease. If untreated, it is very difficult for the anemia to resolve.

I would encourage anyone with hypoT & anemia to request testing for celiac disease. It is much more common than previously thought -- 1/133 in the general population, and with a MUCH higher prevalence among those with Hashi's, anemia, and low B12. It is now recognized that there are a number of different clinical presentations of symptoms in celiacs -- the "classic" presentation, with severe diarrhea & weight loss is actually the least common presentation.

It is very common for hypoT to be treated by monitoring TSH alone. TSH is a pituitary hormone. Interpretation of TSH results as indicator of thyroid function relies heavily on the assumption of perfect pituitary function.

When replacement hormone dosage is increased to raise levels of free thyroid hormone, anemia will often ease. Therefore, it makes sense to request that both free T3 & free T4 be tested.

Best wishes.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Anah.........................the pain on the right side at the bottom of your rib cage above the waist and in the back sounds exactly like it could be your gall bladder. Have you ever had it checked??????

Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
    anah
    (female)

anah HB User

No, I've never had it checked..............I've actually never mentioned "specific" pains to my doc, I've told him I have sharp pains from time to time in various places, but he's never asked me for details........seems like I never get to talk as much as I'd like when I'm there, can you imagine?? It's not a daily thing or even weekly, actually, it may happen two days in a row, one time each day, and then not happen for two weeks or even longer............when it does happen its just a sharp "stab" that kinda takes my breath away, lasts a nano second and its gone, with no lingering pain - its like it never happened - but boy does it hurt. It never hits the same place twice in one day! And, its really not my main complaint as it happens so seldom, but when it does I know it.

I will mention it specifically at my next appointment, thanks.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
    MOLLY6
    (female)

MOLLY6 HB User

I have pain under my left side in the ribs almost like I pulled something, but it has been 3 weeks now and I feel that if it was a muscle pull, it would be healed by now. Is this how everyone's pain is? It's great to know that I'm not imagining this stuff. Thanks,Molly

Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi I have perinious anemia also. I haven't been diagnosised with hypo thyroid though. I do feel what you all are describing from the pain and the tiredness. I hope you feel better with shots. I couldn't tell any difference getting shots. I am trying sublingual b-12 and will see on next b-12 test if its working.

Linda

Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

I'm hypo and sometimes anemic, and I get the shooting/pulling under the rib pain every now and then, sometimes on the right - sometimes on the left. I had no idea this pain could be related. I always thought I just 'pulled' something, except it can happen when I'm donig nothing, or it can happen when I reaching for something (which mad me think I pulled it). As soon as the pain subsides, it's like it never happened - no lingering pain.

My anemia was never so bad that I needed anything more than an over the counter supplement, and lately I've been fine without taking anthing. I had the anemia problem well before being diagnosed as hypo. I've been getting the rib pain for as long as I can remember.
    I think I had heavier periods, causing the anemia and now I seem better in that department.

mary

Closed Thread