It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's and recovering from infections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
    ddgryphon
    (male)

ddgryphon HB User
    Hashimoto's and recovering from infections

Does Hashimoto's direct healing away from actual infections. I have developed Prostatitis and am on my third go round of antibiotics with no relief in sight (fortunately there are pain killers).

Unfortunately my productivity and ability to do in deeper in the toilet than ever.

Does Hashimoto's and low thyroid make recovery from other illnesses slower and more difficult?

Is there anything a Doc can do to compensate for it, if that's true?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
    TinyTot2
    (female)

TinyTot2 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's and recovering from infections

Sorry, but I can't actually answer your question.

Before I was diagnosed, though, I rarely got sick and I did great in school (great memory, great grades, great concentration). I'd actually have to fake it so my parents would let me stay home from school.

Ever since I started treatment, I get sick a lot, can't remember things, and have a very short attention span. That is just my experience, though. Maybe I had been living with my thyroid condition for so long prior to being diagnosed that I thought I was feeling "right". It could be that I only think I feel worse now than I did back then because I now know that I have this condition.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

I'm not sure what your asking but i'll take a stab at it.

I think it would be hard to heal a thyroid if you have an underlying infection.
    Yes haveing thyroid problems will make it alot harder to recover from other illnesses.

all doc's will do is give you meds to help get the right amount of t4 and t3 in your blood.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
    TinyTot2
    (female)

TinyTot2 HB User

I think what is being asked is this:

Would having a thyroid condition make it harder to heal any other unrelated infections. For example, would a cut heal faster on a person without a thyroid condition vs. a person with one?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
    ddgryphon
    (male)

ddgryphon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TinyTot2
    I think what is being asked is this:

Would having a thyroid condition make it harder to heal any other unrelated infections. For example, would a cut heal faster on a person without a thyroid condition vs. a person with one?
    Yes, that's the question -- my mind is kindof modified jello right now because of the pain killers they have me on.

But that's the question.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

well a cut is not an infection, but i would think it might heal alittle slower, now a real infection could be hit harder mb being hypo i would think this could make a big difference. And for the problem you are talking about it sounds like that takes some time to get better even if you are not hypo. I also think that it doesn't make a big difference if you are hypo but are being medicated right concerning infections.

Last edited by adamace1; 09-21-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 AM   #7
    cpht32
    (female)

cpht32 HB User
    Smile Re: Hashimoto's and recovering from infections

I also have hashimoto's, just diagnosed a couple of months ago. I have been having reoccuring infections for years. My biggest problem is strep throat. I have it several times a year. I think this disease does have something to do with having a harder time getting over infections. My Endo said that hashis can keep other medications from working like they should. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread