It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
    aray827
    (female)

aray827 HB User
    Unhappy Thyroid Nodule

Hi everyone! Okay here is my story...
    I have been feeling tired and not myself for about 6 months now. I went to the doctor in August for a routine physical. The doctor thought that I had Hyperthyroidism based on my symptoms. She also found a nodule on my thyroid. So she sent me for blood tests - TSH, T4 & T3. They all came back normal. Then I went for an ultrasound, which showed that the nodule was solid and that there were other smaller nodules throughout my neck. So then I went for an uptake and scan. This showed that the nodule was cold, which as I understand means that it's not functioning as part of the thyroid and has a greater chance of being malignant. I also have swollen lymph nodes in my neck, a cough, laryngitis on and off for about 8 years, trouble swallowing and talking and I shrunk in height. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist, but not until October 25th. I can't stop thinking that I may have thyroid cancer. Has anyone else gone through anything like this before? Could it really be cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroid Nodule

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. First, thyroid cancer is really rare, and even a cold nodule has only 5-15% chance of being cancerous. And the fact that you have more than 1 nodule makes it less likely as well. And, thyroid cancer, if the worst happens, is curable---and relatively easy to treat.

The nodule, especially if it's large, or in a bad position, may or may not be causing your symptoms. I had thyroid cancer, a decent size nodule, (2.5cm) and I had no hoarseness. My bloodwork was normal, and I felt fine.

Also, thyroid cancer is very slow growing, so seeing the endo. on the 25th might be frustrating, but not dangerous. In fact, when I found my nodule, I couldn't get into an endo. until January (it was october), so I called an ENT and he took care of my "FNA" ---fine needle aspiration.

Your next step is a needle biopsy. If the nodule is benign, but very large and causing you trouble, they might still recommend surgery.

Take a deep breathe----this is probably nothing.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
    aray827
    (female)

aray827 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I know that there is a very slim chance that it is cancer, which is good, and even if it is cancer it's treatable. Hearing it from someone else helped too. Especially someone who has/had thyroid cancer. I guess what worries me the most is that when I research my symptoms and look at my test results, it all seems to point towards cancer. I haven't been able to find anything else that it could be besides nothing and I know in my gut that it's not nothing. There is definitely something wrong with me and this nodule is definitely taking a tole on my body. It is 2cm in diameter. So, I think that's fairly large in nodule terms, right? Can I ask how you came to find out you had cancer, what your symptoms were/are, how the treatment was, how your doctors treated you, and how long the whole process took? I'm sorry there's so many questions. If you've read this far, thank you! Please answer my questions at your convenience. I really appreciate any insight or advice you can give me.
    -Ann

Old 09-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Ann - most of the times thyroid nodules are benign, especially in women. I had a few and had the left side and the isthmus removed. Mine were benign, but they couldn't tell for sure until they removed them because they had hurthle cells in them and that makes it more suspicious. I highly recommend the book Thyroid for dummies, it explains a lot in understandable terms. I think if you read it, it will definately ease your mind. Good luck, and don't worry too much!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Thyroid cancer tends to have no symptoms. If you have symptoms, I think 2cm is not tremendous, but it's on the large side (rather than tiny) and could definitely give you a sore throat type of symptoms, according to my ENT. Avoid the internet---everything there is cancer.

In my case, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, and I cried for a whole day, and then the next morning, my neck ached terribly. All day my neck ached, and then I noticed a lump--and that was the nodule. I went to my GP, he ordered an ultrasound. It was solid, so he told me to get an FNA with an endo. The endo had the long waitlist, so I went to an ENT a week later, he delayed the process by sending me for an uptake scan, then 2 weeks after that, I had an FNA. It was holiday and his vacation time, so he didn't call with results for 2 weeks!!!! New Years eve, they called and said it was positive for pappillary cancer---which is rare but fortunate, because most come out inconclusive or suspicious, so at least I knew what I had----but it was right before I hosted my New Years dinner!

I got an appt. immediately with the most amazing thyroid surgeon (I actually called and set it before my results, because I knew I wanted it out no matter what). I hated that first ENT. A month later it was removed. So the process took from Nov. 7---to February 2---but since thyroid cancer is slow growing it didn't matter.

I really doubt you have the same situation, especially since you have more than one nodule---which is more indicative of thyroid disease than cancer. But now I'm 1.5 years over that and I feel great---as I did before I was diagnosed---ironically----the crying helped me finally find my nodule!

Last edited by Reece; 09-29-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
    aray827
    (female)

aray827 HB User

Thanks! I have heard that most are benign. I just got a call from my doctor and I have to go for an FNA. Did you have one? How was it? I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I had one and I stressed out tremendously before I went in. I told the doctor
    I was scared of pain and he put some lidocaine creme on my neck to numb it. It just felt like pressure, not really pain. the worrying about it ahead of time was worse than the actual procedure. Try not to worry!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
    aray827
    (female)

aray827 HB User

Thanks you made me feel much better! I think I'm still going to have my mother or DH go with just to make me feel better. I'll let you know how it goes.

Closed Thread