It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Doctor Says Everything is Normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
    dlm248
    (female)

dlm248 HB User
    Unhappy I am so frustrated with my doctor.

I have been having thyroid problems for about 12 years now. I have a lobectomy in 1995 after my doctor found a nodule on the left side of my thyroid. My levels stayed within normal range after that time. In 2003, another larger nodule was found on the left side with the FNA showing inconclusive. The doctor scheduled surgery to remove the entire left side of my thyroid. Thereafter, I was treated with Synthroid to keep a very small nodule on my right side from becoming larger. Since then, I have experienced weight gain, hair falling out (I actually have a baggie filled with hair from the past month to show my doctor), dry skin, extreme fatigue, puffy face and eyes, muscle weakness, heart palpitations, anxiety, recently diagnosed with diabetes (even though I am in no known risk group and have no family history), high cholesterol levels, dry eyes, depression, facial hair, trouble swallowing, sleep apnea when I am on my back, etc. I told the doctor (actually it was the certified nurse practitioner as the doctor is too busy to see me) and they ordered a TSH and Free T4 test. The results were: TSH: .87 and Free T4: 1.2. These numbers are both down from my previous test. The doctor's office called and said everything looks fine, if I am still not feeling well, I should see my primary doctor to see if there is some other cause. I had an ultrasound done. It showed my right lobe is now 6.1x2.0.2.0 and I have 4 new nodules (two of which are hypoechoic) and the diagnosis code on the report said hashimoto's thyroid. The doctor's office called and said I have a few small nodules, they will just check it again in a year! That is it. I am going to see a new doctor tomorrow and am bringing all of my tests. I have also read Cushings syndrome can cause similar symptoms. It is so frustrating to be told you are "normal" when you feel far from it. The doctor is treating me for diabetes, high cholesterol and depression separately, but is it possible that just one thing is causing all of these problems? Maybe if they find out and treat that problem, the others will resolve.

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?

Last edited by dlm248; 10-16-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User
    Re: Doctor Says Everything is Normal

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES.... I was DX. with Premature Ovarian Failure (Autoimmune Syndrome) at age 28...I went on to adopt 2 kids...I'm now 39. Over the last 11 years I have been DX. with High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Triglycerides, Extreme Weight Gain, Extreme Insomnia and Fatigue, Dry Hands and Feet, Puffy Eyes, Pre-Diabetes and Insulin Resistance, shortness of breath and just feeling" crappy"...oh, and my grand-mother had Hashimoto's (autoimmune syndrome) and needed her goiter removed. They say Hashimoto's(HypoT) and Premature Ovarian Failure are related and are seen together, often. I now at 39 have discovered this and I am going to an Endo Doc on Friday...I just hope my blood results show something...I know I've got HypoT...It would explain all of my symptoms, including the infertility. God Luck....Jen

Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

Actually there is a connection between diabetes and thyroid disease. I have graves, and high cholesterol and my endo just ran a full blood panel on everything else at my request. I just seem to have found so much wrong with me this year I wanted him to test for other autoimmune diseases. It is common to have more than one once you have one.

Nikki

Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

I also feel like I've gotten alot odd DX. this year...now, I know I don't feel great but my god....how many things can one person have wrong with them??!! 1. Premature Ovarian Failure/Premature Menopause (age 28), this affects 1:1000 in that age grop...then over the last 11 years the rest of me has just fallen apart 1. hypertension, 2. high cholesterol,3. high triglycerides,4. high Creactive Protein, 5.diabetes 6. insulin reistance, 7.I'm gaining weight NON-STOP and I'm exhausted All the Time....the list just goes on and on and I'm only 39....I'm scared. If I do have Hypo T it will explain ALOT of my problems....I'm hoping my blood work shows something and that I don't have to beg for my help. The most compelling part of this is that my infertility could have an autoimmune component and so could the hypothyroidism...these two things are seen toghter about 20-25% of the time. Oh, and my grandmother has Hashimoto's and need her goiter removed. I know I got this HYPOTHYROIDISM, I just hope it shows up in the labs. Thanks for listening Jen

Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
    dlm248
    (female)

dlm248 HB User

Well, I just got back from my appointment with another endo. After reviewing all the lab work and ultrasounds he says he doesn't believe the nodules or enlargement of my thyroid (what is left of it) is cause for concern at this point. He said my labs seems okay also. He did question the diabetes dx, though. He is ordering some additional blood work and I meet with him again in 2 weeks. He thinks my fatigue, etc. may be depression. I am currently taking Lexapro for anxiety type symptoms. He said he may make some changes in that medication to see what happens. It may very well be depression. This has been an extremely stressful year. My son (who lives with his dad) decided he is mad at me and doesn't want to visit, my daughter went to college, my husband may be transferred to another state, my father just passed away last month after being in the hospital since May, my job/boss are driving me crazy and I am now working a part-time business at night/weekends. I am happy that this doctor finally took the time to listen to my symptoms and is looking at the whole picture, rather than the pieces.

Closed Thread