It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• folicular lesion/hurthle cell metaplasia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
    slytig
    (female)

slytig HB User
    Exclamation folicular lesion/hurthle cell metaplasia

Hello everyone, I am new to the message board & looking for some advice/information. I recently discovered that I had a nodule on my right thyroid. I had a FNA a couple of weeks ago which showed folicular lesion & hurthle cell metaplasia. My ENT states I need to have part of my thyroid removed, however wants me to see an endocrinologist first to make sure my thyroid level is normal before she does the surgery. She said it was to dangerous to perform the surgery if my levels were still low. I have been on thyroid meds for a little over a month now. I do have an appointment to see endo doctor this week. I have read many things on hurthle cells & folicullar lesions. Still confused, concerned & don't know exactly what to expect. Should I be concerned, what are the chances of this being cancer & these hurthle cells, what are they?? Are hurthle cells more of a concern than folicular lesions? Any advice or just calming words would help. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    Re: folicular lesion/hurthle cell metaplasia

Hi

Sorry to hear you're having to go through this worry. There have been a couple of girls lately discussing the same time of cells (LisaBob for one). Hopefully one of them will be along shortly to offer you some advise. In the meantime if you do a search using the 'search' function at the top right corner you should hopefully find previous threads.

Good luck and take care

Rach xxxx

Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
    slytig
    (female)

slytig HB User

Rach, Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your concern. I have never been apart of a message board, but after reading some of the posts & replies I thought the support was great, especially from people who don't even know each other!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

You're so right - message boards are brill for support. Its just so great to be able to chat to people who actually understand whats going on with you. I'm having a Total Thyroidectomy on 30th Oct and I know that this board is gonna be a huge support system for me afterwards - lots of great advice

Good luck - how did you get on with the 'search' - find anything interesting?

Rach xxxx

Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
    ychonks
    (female)

ychonks HB User

Hello.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
    What is a Hurthle Cell?
    A Hurthle cell is a kind of thyroid cell which has a distinctive look: under the microscope it is bigger than a follicular cell and has pink-staining cellular material.
    I have interpreted this as a type of mutated cell, larger than normal that can either be malignant or benign.

I am not trying to worry you. The reason I had a partial was because I had some hurthle cells in a nodule. In my situation it did turn out to be malignant but I am doing good. Almost two months since the surgery and I am back to my old ways, granted looking at everything with a new twist. It is important to know that thyroid cancer is extremely curable. What I am finding on the board that everyone is different when it comes to the outcome. I wish you all the luck.

Yvonna

Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
    LisaBob
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaBob HB User

Hey Slytig,

I had swollen thyroids with nodules that were solid homogeneous. The first biopsy was inconclusive. The second showed hurthle cells and so presented the possibility of cancer. Because of the pain and discomfort I've been experiencing over the last year AND the fact that my thyroid hasn't worked for 11 years, they decided to do a complete thyroidectomy.

I had it on Friday the 13th. I'm home and resting now. The labs from surgery came back negative for cancer.

I am glad I had it done because I already feel fewer symptoms than I had before surgery. My follow up appointment is this Thursday. I'll let you know what the surgeon says.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa

Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
    KTC
    (female)

KTC HB User

Hello;
    First of all take a deep breath and relax.
    I am presently dealing with follicular thyroid cancer.
    I had a completion thyroidectomy in August (had a partial many years ago and that was not cancer).
    I did not want to have the surgery at all.
    However now that its all been done I am very glad I proceeded with it.
    I never thought my biopsy would come back cancer.
    Unfortuneatly I was in the 10 % that has it.
    I do not know what else will be done I will find that out the End of this month.
    I am doing o.k.
    Thyroid issues of any kind are difficult to deal with.
    I never realised how much the thyroid effects every part of the body.
    It is so nice to come to a board and share your experiences with people in similar scituations.
    Take care.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Your ENT is doing everything correct. The nodule you have can either be: benign (most likely), be follicular cancer (the only way to know for sure is to remove it and do a pathology), or hurthle cell thyroid cancer (a very rare form).

Hurthle cells are sometimes found in thyroids, so it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. Follicular cells are sometimes found in thyroids, so it doesn't necessarily mean cancer either.

In terms of the thyroid levels, I had to get an okay from an endocronologist as well because they thought I might have had subclinical graves (I don't know what that means, or why)----and the endo. wasn't worried at all. I had the surgery, but I knew mine was pappillary cancer before the surgery, so I begged the surgeon to take as much of my thyroid out as possible, as I would have had to be on medication either way.

Keep focused on getting this over with, and keep a positive attitude, and you will do great.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
    slytig
    (female)

slytig HB User
    Smile Re: folicular lesion/hurthle cell metaplasia

I just wanted to thank all everyone who replied to my questions. I couldn't believe the support that is shown on this sight to myself as well as all the other members. Thanks again & good luck to all of you. My prayers are with you guys.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
    slytig
    (female)

slytig HB User

For those who have replied to my initial thread, again thank you. I haven't had any new posts lately so if there is anyone out there with any more information that might make me feel less stressed I would appreciate it. I did go see an endo last Tues.. He agreed with everything my ENT had said, took blood to check my TSH, don't have results yet. If my level is still low he will increase my thyroid med. then recheck in another 2 months. I feel like I could go crazy by then not knowing if this is cancer or not. Even though chances are it is not, I guess it is just the not knowing part that keeps me worried. I just want to get it over with & move on. Unfortunately all of this waiting & not knowing has me stressed & cranky! I am a health care professional but it is a lot different on this side!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I know where you are coming from. I found my nodule in october, and didn't have my surgery until February---slowed down by tests, and wore, my FNA results took 2 weeks because my doctor went on vacation! ---And my FNA was positive!

It made me crazy. But my surgeon, who encouraged me to take my planned family vacation which extended my wait a couple of week for surgery kept reassuring me that thyroid cancer (and yours might not even be it!) is very slow growing.

You have to go do your hobbies, be with family etc. and try your best to push it out of your mind. You're on schedule, after your surgery sometimes days, latest a week you usually get the final pathology.

Try to keep yourself distacted. This all started 2 years ago for me---I can't believe how much time has passed, and thank God, everything is super!

Old 10-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
    slytig
    (female)

slytig HB User

Thank you Reece. I will take your advice, just hope I can do it & stay focused. The waiting is just the hardest part, well feeling tired all the time isn't a joy either. I don't think I mentioned this before but on top of my thyroid issues my saliva gland is messed up on my left side. Swells as big as a baseball sometimes. Especially when I eat making swallowing very difficult. So because I don't know if I have thyroid cancer or if it has spread any place else I can't help but let my mind wonder & think are the two connected in some way. Anyway thank you very much for your encouraging words & advice. I will try to keep you posted.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #13
    ychonks
    (female)

ychonks HB User

Slytig,

I agree with Reece. Put it out of your mind (easier said than done ) I actually didn't think anything of it before the surgery. I had my right lobe removed due to a nodule. In my case it did turn out to be cancer and that is when I freaked out. But that was only two months ago and I am back to normal and living my life as I was before, keeping a positive outlook on the future b/c that is all you can do. I guess what I am trying to say is that you are not going to know anything until after the surgery and worrying will only make you sick. And it is a small chance that it is cancer. So keep busy and try not to dwell. Good luck!

Yvonna

Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
    celloete
    (female)

celloete HB User

Hi everyone!! I am so grateful for finding this site it has been a GOD SEND. I am another Hurthle Cell candidate/winner/loser or whatever.....My g.p. told me after he received the results of the FNA and it showed a proliferation of Hurthle cells to never having heard of them. Anyway he referred me to a country surgeon who told me that I had to have the tumour along with the R/sided Thyroid gland taken out. I was quite worried thinking hold on surely I should be going somewhere where someone really knows something about this and or has done research in this area? Anyway upshot of it all is that I saw a Head and Neck Surgeon in Sydney (Aus Land) last week and next week OMG I am having the operation. I am hmm quite scared of I don't know quite what the operation or the results of the pathology when the whole thing is examined. But!! the good news is that I have taken heart by what I have read on this message board and how much better informed I have become by reading the posts. One thing I am wondering is though after I wake up from the operation how hard will it be to swallow pain meds and cause I already have an anxiety about breathing am I going to have problems with this? If anyone can give me a run down on what happens when you wake up after the op that would be great. Many thanks and good luck to you all on your individual journeys.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

Pain from the surgery can vary but many of us experience little to no pain at all. I had none. I was willing and able to eat anything right after the surgeryo so swallowing pills wasn't a problem. I was never hoarse but soon discovered my vocal range (while singing) was limited--couldn't hit the high notes. I still haven't recovered my old vocal range, 9 months post-op.

With or without pain there will be some tightness around the incision, some describe it as feeling your head is screwed on a little too tight--some limitation in ability to turn your head--so driving is usually not done for a few days to a week. Care of the inscision varies--my doc wanted it open and dry and told me not to use any creams or ointments. Some docs advise use of a triple antibiotic ointment to reduce the chance of infection but my doc said he believes the scar will be minimized if you can avoid the ointments.

If you have some pain just take the prescribed pain meds and don't push things. It's pretty easy surgery and you'll be fine.

Closed Thread