It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• tingling,vibrating body and hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User
    tingling,vibrating body and hypothyroid

Is there anyone out there who has/is experiencing tingling (electrical sensation) in limbs, trunk, or face? Just had RAI 6 weeks ago and am now hypothyroid....but this has been going on for months. Thought it was from Hyperthyroid (nodule that gave off too much thyroid hormone) but got worse with time, even when on Tapazole. Pleaaaasse....anybody

SRC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User
    Re: tingling,vibrating body and hypothyroid

When my anxiety is in manic phase I get very wierd sensations.

But I'm hypo & adjusting meds, so this is very odd, not daily/weekly occurance.

I'm responding with hopes that someone who knows will see this

take care,
    Sue

Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
    Calore
    (female)

Calore HB User

Hi Ladies
    I had those symptoms and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism / hashis. Now that I am on hormone replacement my symptoms have improved . From time to time though, and especially when my TSH went up, those symptoms came back to some degree.

So, hope this has reassured you..you are not imagining or anything
    Good luck
    Oh I recently had my thyroxine increased so trying to come to terms with feeling like I am in 'overdrive'. I bet that is another post though

The Following User Says Thank You to Calore For This Useful Post:
    Djhouse (08-13-2011)
    Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
    Reider
    (female)

Reider HB User

You may want to have your calcium levels checked. If the parathyroid gland (these glands are located on the thyroid gland, and there are 4 of them) is not working properly, then your calcium levels may drop and tingling and numbness is a sign of low calcium.

I'm not sure if RAI can cause a disfunction in the parathyroid, but it's worth asking.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

Apparently my calcium levels are fine as are my B12, sugar, etc. Neither my GP nor Internist know why this is happening...am scheduled for an MRI in January. Gotta love the system! Am also in the process of being booked to see a Neurologist but that could take up to a year! Apparently RAI does not affect the parathyroid glands...that would be more of a risk had I opted for Total thyroidectomy.

Just started taking Clonazepam (benzodiazepine) to help me get to sleep at night. The past couple of nights I've actually had 5 hours of straigh-through sleep. I still feel like I'll never catch up though. The tingling begins the moment I become fully conscious so it starts out yet another day of OH MY GOD.

All this started 10 days after quitting smoking last February. Maybe the nicotine was supressing RLS or something, who knows. man I want a cigarette!

Thank you to those of you who took the time to answer my post. I appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

Hi There. You said you experience similar situation with tingling, numbness in your legs/arms. Could you please give a bit more info. I'm now 10 months with this going on. Have gone from Hyperthyroid to Hypothyroid and it's really horrible now. Thankyou

Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #7
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

SRC,

I get the same sensations every time my thyroid hormones go too far in either direction, hyper or hypo. It's a form of neuropathy. Since thyroid hormones directly influence the nervous system, it's not surprising that a person might experience some real weird body sensations.

By the way, it does go away when your body finally gets back into tune. It's extremely annoying but doesn't seem to result in any permanent damage. I've had it on and off for the last 25 years and have just learned to use it as one of the gauges for telling me when things are starting to get out of whack or I'm getting back in tune again. I've never found a doc who takes it seriously though.

Take care,
    Helen

Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i had this when i first went on thyroxine and it stopped after a while have you just been put on thyroxine love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i had this when i first went on thyroxine and it stopped after a while have you just been put on thyroxine love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

Hello Helen. I just noticed today that you had responded to my post. I hadn't checked in a while so re-posted the question today; then, realized you had replied with similar problem. Could you please give me more info about how you feel when this vibrating, tingling happens? I'm now taking Clonazepam at night so I can atleast get some sleep but am pretty much plagued with this horrible feeling all other times of the day. Am finding now that walking is even difficult...feels like my legs are "lurching" sometimes.

I get my bloodwork done in two more weeks (have to wait 6 weeks each time). Am sure I am still HYPO. It's been almost 4 months since my RAI. Have had my Synthroid adjust twice now (used to be on desiccated before all this started up). Was giving up hope that it had to do with my thyroid since it started when I was HYPER from nodules, then continued as I went into HYPO....but now you've given me a glimmer of hope. Am having MRI done on the 17th of this month and then see the Neurologist the end of February.

Would love to hear from you. Thank you.
    Shelley

Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Shelley,

Nerves fire by action of sodium and potassium ions across the cell membranes.

The sodium/potassium pump maintains stability within the nerve cells.

Thyroid hormones are responsible for the longterm regulation of the sodium/potassium pump.

Problems with the thyroid can result in disruption of nerve impulses.

Very complex yet beautifully simple. Maybe we need to send the doctors back to school.

The sensations I have experienced at both ends of the spectrum are very similar yet have subtle differences. When I'm really hyper, I often get the feeling that my limbs have fallen asleep and feel numb for no reason at all and there's an almost electrical buzz throughout the body. When I've been hypo, it's more pins and needles centered more in my hands and feet and sometimes around my lips and chin. At really high points I burn. Feels like the skin's on fire. Sometimes, it's just an almost itchy creepy kinda feeling. I've always felt the hyper nerves more annoying than the hypo but they're both very obnoxious and make it difficult to sleep.

I really think that once you get your hormones regulated, the nerves will settle back down again. The MRI and neurologist should help ease your mind. In the meantime, balance your rest and exercise and enjoy the good Clonazepam sleep.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Helen

Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh, forgot to mention. My mom's just been through the most complete neurological workup known to man over the last couple months. She's 73 years old. She's had nerve related symptoms for years. She's had multiple mri's, eeg's, electromyolagrams, etc., etc., etc. and they can't find anything wrong.

Nobody will look at her thyroid. Her mother had thyroid problems and her daughter appears to have a genetic thyroid problem. What's with these guys?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

Hi there. Thanks for responding so quickly. I just finished typing out a long e-mail to you and for some reason it didn't go and is now lost in cyberspace!

Maybe you should go with your mom to see her Dr. and discuss the thyroid connection. Our mothers are from an era where they don't like to ask too many questions or suggest alternative methods etc. (although sometimes I'm like that if I feel my Dr. is going to get ****** off and I'm in a somewhat anxious state at the time of my appt).

It is very frustrating when alot of the medical profession doesn't even know that the TSH levels have been changed since 2003! And tests aside, perhaps listen to their patients....hypothyroid was treated successfully years before all these sensitive tests were developed because Doctors LISTENED. Now, if this were a "man's" issue, it'd be dealt with alot more swiftly don't you think!! They're quick to say "it's all in our heads"

I don't have the energy to re-write the rest of my e-mail tonight not to mention that I can't remember 1/2 of what I wrote (brain fog) plus sitting in the chair typing sends my legs around the bend even more. Will keep in touch if you don't mind. And, thanks again for getting back to me. Do you have toxic nodules? Is that why you go from hyper to hypo?

Shelley

Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User

I agree with the statement that if the docs were going through what we go through or maybe even their loved ones, they would understand. I just wrote a new thread about the It's all in your head, anxious, depressed, statement. Unbelievable.!

Take Care!
    Kathy

Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #15
    wsue1023
    (female)

wsue1023 HB User

You've all put my mind in such a better place.
    Shelly, I hope you're MRI goes smoothly and they don't find anything! I'm having one within the next week or two also, checking for MS. I'm having pins/needles in my hands (mostly fingers), feet, sometimes face, sometimes a buzzing feeling in various parts of my body, numbness in right side of face around jawline, sometimes a portion of my tongue feels numb, my lips occassionally feel tingly, and my right leg is heavy. I'd convinced myself I was going to get an MS diagnosis because I didn't think it was possible that my Hashi could really be causing any of this... now I'm not so sure. I've had Hashi for at least 8 years and have done pretty well most of the time. No one ever told me that being hypo could cause neurological problems and when I've visited my doc he doesn't seem to know this either. What's the deal?

So, from what I'm gathering here I could have blood work come back within normal range and still have some odd sensations running through my body. Also the calcium thing is new to me. I don't get enough calcium because I'm one of those nuts who doesn't want the calories and for whatever reason don't buy supplements. They've done a complete blood panel on me (with exception of T3, Free 3), I don't know if they checked my calcium, but even if they did, I'm going to start drinking milk again. I should be doing that anyway.

Keep us posted Shelly on the MRI results. I'll pray for you. Do the same for me. I'm still a bit scared, I'm sure you are too.

Closed Thread