It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH Level, what does it mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
    Glassless
    (female)

Glassless HB User
    Question TSH Level, what does it mean?

I just got lab back on TSH level and it is: 9.281
    They said that's high, indicating I need an increase in my med or a change of meds which they are calling in. (I have hypothyroidism)

But what does that level mean, exactly? What is a normal level? I'm on unithroid, but they mentioned about changing me to another, but I can only afford generics, so hopefully they intend to stick to generics if they do change my med on me.

I should be picking it up and starting it in the next few days. When should I see a change if it's working or not? I do have some symptoms, and how long will it be before they start to clear up?

Thanks for any input anyone can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
    sudufu
    Inactive
    (female)

sudufu HB User
    Re: TSH Level, what does it mean?

Hi Glassless

I don't have a clue what it mean exactly either. Except to say that your body is working too hard to do its normal functions. There are H-U-G-E discrepancies as to what NORMAL tsh is. Some labs go with the old, OLD .5-5.5 range, while others are more up-to-date with .3-3.0. Most hypo patients feel optimal between 1-2. What are the ranges on your lab work?

Sometimes the first 2-3 weeks of higher dose or new medicine, I get a high, on top of the world feeling. That usually subsides when my body gets used to the medicine.

It's very hard to predict when you'll see a change. How long have you been taking Unithroid? And with what kind of sucsess?? The hypo-thy meds leveling process can be long & tedious. They say, it can take as long to REGULATE us as we went untreated

Personally, I starting month 10 of the hypo leveling process. And I still have plenty of symtoms. Never enough sleep is probably TOP of my list

hope this helps. take care,
    Sue

Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
    Glassless
    (female)

Glassless HB User
    Re: TSH Level, what does it mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sudufu
    Hi Glassless

I don't have a clue what it mean exactly either. Except to say that your body is working too hard to do its normal functions. There are H-U-G-E discrepancies as to what NORMAL tsh is. Some labs go with the old, OLD .5-5.5 range, while others are more up-to-date with .3-3.0. Most hypo patients feel optimal between 1-2. What are the ranges on your lab work?

Sometimes the first 2-3 weeks of higher dose or new medicine, I get a high, on top of the world feeling. That usually subsides when my body gets used to the medicine.

It's very hard to predict when you'll see a change. How long have you been taking Unithroid? And with what kind of sucsess?? The hypo-thy meds leveling process can be long & tedious. They say, it can take as long to REGULATE us as we went untreated

Personally, I starting month 10 of the hypo leveling process. And I still have plenty of symtoms. Never enough sleep is probably TOP of my list

hope this helps. take care,
    Sue
    Hi Sue! Thanks for the response! From what little I've read, I do know that people have a difficult time getting an official diagnosis and I sympathize with them. I haven't had that problem, but do hope that doctors start paying attention to their patients and change the standards all over for everyone.

How do I find out the ranges on my lab work? They called me, actually my doctor's office called me with the results and they started out just saying it was too high and they were switching my medicine. I had to ask for any results and that's when I got that number. Nothing else was given to me. Aside from them calling in a new prescription.

Wow, I'd love two or three weeks of feeling on top of the world.

I've been on unithroid for about three years, I believe. It seemed to work there for a while, but the last few months or so, I've felt all around really horrible. Some of it are circumstances in my life, but I know that at least part of it, if not much of it, has to do with my thyroid. I sure hope I can find the right dosage and get to a proper level without having to wait months or years to do so! Come to think of it, sleep is a problem for me, too. I just can't get enough! Always so run down and tired, even when I should be feeling great. Also, cold in intolerable ways. That one has really been bothering me lately. Do you have sensitivity to cold ever? I usually like the cold, but this is the type of cold you can't really shake off easily.

Okay, I'm done rambling now.

Closed Thread