It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Newly diagnosed Hashi's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
    adj76
    (female)

adj76 HB User
    Newly diagnosed Hashi's

On a hunch after learning a lot on this forum (I have a serious family history of thyroid conditions, so that's why I came onto this forum!), I went to my doctor to have my thyroid checked. Sure enough I was just diagnosed with Hashi's. I am so relieved to know that all of my vague symptoms may all now go away - once my meds kick in and level me off. I am wondering, though, how long will it be before I am feeling better. I have struggled with fatigue, joint pain (especially hip pain), lump in the throat, yawning to get enough air, anxiety/depression, the list goes on and on. I'm sure some symptoms may have no connection to this disorder, but I am hoping to feel better soon. I am taking 150mcg Levothyroxin.
    Oh, and thank you all for posting! It's because of this forum that I was able to find what was wrong with me.
    Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Hashi's

Did they start you out on 150mcg? That's pretty high to start out.

Generally it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to start to feel the difference and then it should continue to get better. However, if you feel the symptoms coming on again chances are you need a med adjustment.

Generally the dr should start you out on a smaller dose and build you up to a higher dose about every 2 to 4 weeks so your body adjusts.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
    adj76
    (female)

adj76 HB User

I was thinking that 150mcg was kind of high too to start with. My mom takes 200 and she's been there for years. I am very sensitive to meds too, so this may be a problem. Yesterday was my first day on it and about 8 hrs. after taking it my heart rate was pretty fast and I was getting out of breath easily. I also felt a little lightheaded. But then I was worried that I was just having anxiety about taking a new med... So not sure what those responses related to - the med or anxiety. I felt better after about an hour, but I'm worried the same thing will happen today. I have zanax for anxiety if I need it, is it ok to take that while on this med? Because it's the weekend, I won't be able to ask my doc about starting out slower on the med, so should I just continue to take the same dose? I did already today, so I guess we'll see what happens.
    Thanks for your response.
    Angela

PS Is it ok to drink alcohol while on this med? It's date night for my husband and I!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Any other meds or vitamins should be taken well apart from the thyroid meds. Wait at least an hour if not more. Your thyroid meds should be taken 1st thing in the morning, so alcohol at night wouldn't hurt.
    Try cutting the thyroid med in half and take that till you can talk to your dr.

The racing heart may have been anxiety but it could also be from the high dose. I'm very sensitive as well to meds. Its best to start low and build up to see how your body will react. (If it were me I'd cut it in 1/4ths and take that for a few days and then go to half for a week or two and then 3/4 for another couple weeks and then the whole)
    But talk to your Dr. and stress to him how you reacted and your concerns.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
    jlcgwu0811
    (female)

jlcgwu0811 HB User

Angela,
    I've had Hashi's since I was 9. I'm 23 now. I understand everything you are feeling. It may take a while for things to settle out on meds. I agree with cutting the synthroid in half until you can talk to your md. An important thing that I've learned over the years is to be very aware of my body and have a dr that you can trust. I'm getting ready to have a total thyroidectomy 11/21 because my thryoid is pressing on my vocal cords. It took a lot of pushing to get someone to pay attention to me about my symptoms. Just don't be afraid to question and make them realize that you are concerned about something. I wish you the best!
    Jenn

Last edited by jlcgwu0811; 11-18-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
    adj76
    (female)

adj76 HB User

Thanks for the response Jenn. I have since talked to my doc and the pharmacy had given me three times the dose I was supposed to have. So now I am on 50 mcg - no more weird reactions to the med. I am hoping that I will find the right dose for me easily, but I know that with some thyroid function still, it may fluctuate for quite some time.
    It's so nice to read other people's stories to see that what I am going through isn't so crazy! Nice that others understand what's going on with me.
    I wish you luck with your procedure, Jenn. Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks!
    Angela

Closed Thread