It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Just Diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Have questions.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
    HuntleyBill
    (male)

HuntleyBill HB User
    Just Diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Have questions.

Hi Everyone:
    I'm new to this web board and also to Hyperthyroidism. Here is my story in brief.

About 4 months ago I went to my doctor with chest pain. He sent me to a cardiologist who did an angio-plasty (if I spelled it wrong...sorry) and ended up putting is stents. I still had chest pain. The cardio guy sent me to a gastro doctor who said my problem is cardio.

I then went to the University of Chicago hospitals and another cardio doctor who gave me a 4th stress test and said my heart if fine and sent me to their gastro doctor. Yes, you guessed it, he said my stomach is fine it must be cardio.

I went back to my regular doctor still complaining of stomach/chest/throat pain and tremors. He told me to go to the Mayo Clinic. I did and in 15 min. they dignosed me with Hyper thyroid. Yes we all discussed why 5 doctors over 4 months couldn't figure me out as this is a "no brainer" diagnosis, but I don't want to bore you all with all the details.

I'm going back next week to do the test where they give me the pills and they measure the thyroid absorbtion but, and here is my question, they are talking about "burning out" my thyroid as a POSSIBLE treatment.

I'm reading all the input here and it seems that the "burning out" of the thyroid is a bad idea???? Talking with the doctors at the Mayo Clinic I get the impression that this type of treatment is pretty standard. Is it????

What are the pros and cons of that procedure and/or is it better to do a drug treatment?? Although it seems from reading through these posts that "getting stable" and going into remission is quite a fiasco in itself.

As I said, this is all new to me . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Bill

Last edited by HuntleyBill; 11-13-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
    lookin4aclue
    Veteran
    (female)

lookin4aclue HB User
    Re: Just Diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Have questions.

Ok I will let you in on a bit and see if I am of any help. I was DXed with Graves, and depending on what you have would depend on weather you really should think about RAI(the burning out of your thyroid)This is a radio active iodine, and has it's side effects just like anything else does(you might want to do some research on this for your own knowleadge)RAI can cause worseing of TED(thyroid eye disease) which can or might come sooner or later after being DXed with Graves(auto immune disease of the thyroid, causing hyperthyroid). The uptake and scan, that your doctors are talking of doing really are outdated as you can get Dxed without them, with a simple blood tested. The tests are antibodies tests, TSI and TPO are antibodies they check for Graves. Elevated TSI will show that you have Graves. Mind you with treatment for Graves you will always have Graves even if you go hypothyroid. Men are less likely to get Graves, but if they do, it seems to be a bit worse than a woman. With Graves you have 30% higher chance of having or getting another auto immune disease.
    RAI if I had to choose again wouldn't have been my first choice, as I now have sever TED, and other complications due to this as well. I didn't make an informed choice, thanks to the doctors not giving all the info I needed to do so. I suggest that you do alot of research, check out your options before you let them do any radioactive testing even the uptake and scan on you. I mean think about it RADIOACTIVE!!!!!!! Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
    dgalindo2006
    (female)

dgalindo2006 HB User

Hi, welcome I am pretty new here but I have been on my meds for almost 6 months now I am almost in the normal range on everything except my TSH. It took about 1 1/2 months for me to start feeling better. I had anxiety attacks, high Bp and very high heartrate so the cardiologist put me on bp meds also. My endo has told me that we will try meds for 1 to 2years with the countdown starting when we get and stay in normal ranges to let me try for remission. By burning out your thyroid they mean doing radiation this way you will end up in most cases going hypo and taking meds to give you more thyroid function. Either way it is YOUR decision do not let the doctors push you around do some research and make your plan for recovery yourself then let the doctor guide you to YOUR destination. Take care.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
    bothered
    (female)

bothered HB User

Hi,

Welcome to the boards! Sorry to hear about your thyroid problems. You will learn a lot here from some great people.

I was diagnosed with Graves less than a year ago after having hypoT for a few years. I'm replying to you to warn you not to make any rash decisions. I've tried to get a handle on thyroid issues for a while now, and it's nearly impossible. Symptoms and lab results don't necessarily tell the tale of what's going on. Getting rid of your thyroid seems to maybe not be the best thing. A lot of people regret it and still continue to have issues. But judge for yourself. Just read as much as you can on these boards. A lot of good info is here.

I wish you luck getting a handle on things.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
    kiwibaitnz
    (female)

kiwibaitnz HB User

Hi there,
    mostly do the research before making the decision. Maybe try the meds first to see if they work for you, once you do the RAI its done but you can always do it later if the meds don't work long term for you. The uptake and scan that you have scheduled ( I have a biased opinion as I do them for a job) I feel is just as important as blood tests. The thyroid does not always uniformly take up the radioisotope (which for diagnostic purposes is very low) which can show "hot" spots and "cold" spots indicating areas that are hyperfunctioning or hypofunctioning. In turn that can lead to them diagnosing other problems. ( Thyroid cancer, multinodular goitre etc) or at least confirm a diagnosis. Ultrasound also can look at the thyroid but if they find a cyst or nodule they cannot determine how that cyst or nodule is functioning. Hence a referral is made for the uptake and scan.

Good luck with your decisions

Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
    kiwibaitnz
    (female)

kiwibaitnz HB User

Hi there,
    mostly do the research before making the decision. Maybe try the meds first to see if they work for you, once you do the RAI its done but you can always do it later if the meds don't work long term for you. The uptake and scan that you have scheduled ( I have a biased opinion as I do them for a job) I feel is just as important as blood tests. The thyroid does not always uniformly take up the radioisotope (which for diagnostic purposes is a very low dose: ) which can show "hot" spots and "cold" spots indicating areas that are hyperfunctioning or hypofunctioning. In turn that can lead to them diagnosing other problems. ( Thyroid cancer, multinodular goitre etc) or at least confirm a diagnosis. Ultrasound also can look at the thyroid but if they find a cyst or nodule they cannot determine how that cyst or nodule is functioning. Hence a referral is made for the uptake and scan.

Good luck with your decisions

Last edited by kiwibaitnz; 11-14-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
    HuntleyBill
    (male)

HuntleyBill HB User

Thank you all for your input and advice. I have a lot more homework to do. I am now more confused than I was before. The doctors gave me the impresion that this is not that big of a deal if it gets taken care of. After reading all you folks have said, I'm not so sure.

I guess I should wait and see what my actual diagnosis is before I jump off the deep end. At least now I will have some "amunition" when I go back in to see the doctors.

Thank you all again

Last edited by HuntleyBill; 11-14-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
    sandi303
    (female)

sandi303 HB User

Hi! I just wanted to chime in here & tell you that I completely understand what you're going thru. I was recently diagnosed with Graves & TED. Among all my other symptoms, my emotions were so out of whack, that I just took for granted what the doc's were telling me.

Fortunately, since I also have TED, my endo said that methimazole was the way to go. That RAI was not an option.

Since I've been diagnosed, I've done tons of research which you would think would clear things right up in my mind. But I have found that there is so much contradictory information out there that, at times, I feel more confused than when I started the research.

I recently purchased the book Living Well With Graves Disease & Hyperthyroidism & am hoping this will help me formulate a plan, as I desperately feel I need a plan!!!

Good luck to you!! And let us know how you're doing & what you decide....

Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

First I would like to say regardless of your decision of treatment you have a life long disease. There is no *easy* fix, cure or treatment. Regardless of what your dr.s are telling you it is not fixable by popping a pill and burning out your thyroid. All the treatments have consequences.

Graves Disease is an *autoimmune disease*. It produces antibodies that attack your thyroid, eyes and skin. With this fact the *hyper* thyroid is a symptom of the disease. Not a cause. Killing the thyroid is only treating a symptom not the disease.

Anitthyroid meds have a calming effect on these antibodies. Over time with ATD's you can go into remission along with lifestyle changes.

RAI yes kills the thyroid but stirs up these antibodies which can then cause *severe* TED. It will also leave you *permanetly* hypothyroid in which you will be taking hormone the rest of your life. Then you are trading one disease for another. When RAI is administered it kills the thyroid slowly sputtering out hormone. Then your levels will go wildly all over the place until it dies off.

The dr.s like to make this seem like the best option because they DO NOT see graves disease alot. Most of them are not good at monitering ATD's so for THEM it is easier to make you hypothyroid with RAI and prescribe synthroid. Then you get sent to your GP to be monitered. They wash their hands of it.

Not all dr.s are like this and there are a rare few willing to work with you. In other countries ATD's are offered as a first option.

Remember this is *your* body. You have to be comfortable with what you decide. The options of treatment aren't the greatest and no matter what route you take it will take time. I was in the exact frame of mind as you and wanted a very quick fix...like yesterday (ask midwest)...LOL

The idea of what RAI *could* do scared the daylights outta me...and it should have rightly so. I have met others on my journey who are truly regretting having RAI and you can't go back!

Nikki

Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
    HuntleyBill
    (male)

HuntleyBill HB User
    Talking Re: Just Diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Have questions.

Hi All:

Your inputs have all been helpfull. Thank you so much. At this point I have NOT YET been actually dignosed with Graves. I'm going in next week for that particular test. My hair is not falling out, I have not had any eye problems either. I have had the tremors, not sleeping, hot flashes, heart pounding, anxiety attacks etc.

After reading all the input about Graves, I'm becomming VERY concerned, however, what is the treatment if I find I DON'T have graves???? Is it different or is an overactive thyroid automatically Graves????

You see how confusing this gets???

Last edited by HuntleyBill; 11-14-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Bill, Welcome to the board!

Lets see where to begin.

HypERthyroid ~ thyroid that produces too much hormone
    HypOthyroid ~ thyroid that DOES NOT produce enough hormone

An autoimmune disorder ~ The immune system produces an antibody that attacks "healthy" tissue in error causing a malfunction in that tissue.

Graves disease ~ An autoimmune disorder that is caused by Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin antibody (TSI ab). TSI effects the thyroid by mimicking the TSH by stimulating the thyroid to produce more hormones. Therefore, causing the condition of hypERthyroidism to occur. TSI can also effect the eyes causing TED (thyroid eye disease), and the skin with pretibial myxedema.

Hashimoto's disease ~ An autoimmune disorder that causes hypOthyroidism (low thyroid hormone production).

Hyperthyroid can be caused by several factors. Temporary thyroiditis lasting approx 12-24 months. Faulty diet (rarely on its own). Graves disease. A "hot" thyroid nodule (hormone producing nodule). Or a transient phase of Hashimoto's disease. (I think that's it.)

So there is more that one cause for hyperthyroidism. And, NO, hyperthyroidism and graves are not the same. One is the symptom of the other.

No matter what the cause the main goal is to get the thyroid hormone levels down. Its not healthy either way to "run at full throttle" all the time. So treatments are usually the same.

Hopefully that helps. Best wishes,
    Hyperkim
    Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Last edited by hyperkim; 11-14-2006 at 08:52 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

80-90% of hyperthyroididsm is caused by graves disease. Make sure you have TSI anitbodies tested to be sure you do not have graves. Only graves patients carry this antibody.

Nikki

Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Hi! As you can tell, we're just a plethora of info! I don't have Graves but I was diagnosed with hyper. After a few blood tests and the scan, I was told I had t-3 thyroxitosis, another rarer form of hyper. I was put on tapazole, and have been getting in the normal range.Have been on meds 2 months. If you post your labs, someone might know better what's going on. Since I wrote this post I WAS diagnosed with Graves, but the treatment is still the same, I told the doctor I would rather stay on meds for life than have my thyroid destroyed, and maybe for the antibodies to attack my eyes instead... NO THANKS!! Good luck on your journey... it can be a long one, but the meds DO provide relief, just takes a while!

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 01-18-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
    moonieg71
    (female)

moonieg71 HB User
    Question Re: Just Diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Have questions.

HI All,
    /I too am new to the board, actually my sister did the research and found this web site. I am just checking it out and it seems to have lots of people with great information. Ok quickly here is my story. About 1-2 years after my son was born (he is 4 now) I was having daily migraines so I made an appt with my PCP when I went in they checked my blood pressure and pulse as normal. The nurse then went to tell the doctor of my pulse, and they ordered an EKG. My pulse at that time by the way was 144! they then sent me to a Endocrynologist (?spelling) He berated me basically at all of my visits telling me I could die and that I would not be around to be with my children, no one in my family understands why I dont want to go back to a doctor. I am so scared of this happening again that I am unsure of it. I know that I need to go back my thyroid is so big now that when I swallow I feel everything, water and food. Recently my family was at my house and they all said my eyes were starting to "bug" this has scared me and I have made an appt for 1/12/07. I
    /was diagnosed with graves, hyperthiroidism,and horshimotos(again,
    /spelling.
    /
    / /
    /Ok back to the reason of my post I have been having the following symptons and want to know if anyone else is having them:
    /gitters, painful legs, back arms pretty much every where,anxiety,nervousness,angers,sadness ,stomach pains,and ect...
    /Please send me any information that any of you may have I am scared that I am going to die and leave 2 small children behind.
    /Thanks for your information and I will keep you updated on my appt.
    /

Last edited by moonieg71; 12-18-2006 at 06:26 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #15
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hang on a minite if you dont have any other complications with your thyroid are the best way foeward my sister had graves and i mean bad graves her eyes were badly buldging i think she had pills for about a year or 2 and it went away!!! so thats the way i would go it seems i may be going into a hyper phaze my self after being hypo for 2 years or poss longer thats taken from diagnosis ????? so yes thats defo my advice did you say you were hypo first before being hyper did you have hashis and how did you find out you were hyper, my doc said this is impossible but i hear of it hope yopu can talk again love fromkatxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    i cant beleive how you feel is how i feel wow i have 3 kids all under 10 and im so scared i suspect that i have graves my eyes are starting to bulge and i have the symptoms you have despite having hashis ive always been on a small dose of thyroxine and have always felt hyper on it and im going hyper more despite the decreasing i mean i never even got up to a proper starting dode!!! im so scared also i really relate ans im going through this now and all the endos and docs ive seen they say im a liar and its impossible to be hashis then turn into graves how did they find this and thankdod they beleived in you are you from the stated i really need to talk to you further on this i hope you can this is rare to happen and i never read about this on the boards dhew it can happenxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

Last edited by pursie; 12-18-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Closed Thread