It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Knocked for a loop by Cole Slaw

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
    feathermaid
    Inactive
    (female)

feathermaid HB User
    Knocked for a loop by Cole Slaw

I am amazed-been sick for 4 days. I had forgotten I should not eat those greens! And I always loved it and made my own. Ya'll remember no greens for Thanksgiving or we will have to pay for it. LOL Happy Turkey day....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
    ncmtgl
    (female)

ncmtgl HB User
    Re: Knocked for a loop by Cole Slaw

I wasn't aware that we with Thyroid problems are suppose to eat differently. Please help me on this, all new to me. I am having a thyroidectomy on Dec. 5th and My big concern (other then it being malignent) was that I would gain wieght. Are there foods we can not eat?
    Hope all had a happy Thanksgiving Norma

Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There are foods that someone with a weak, untreated thyroid should avoid. Cabbage-family vegetables are included in that list. Eaten daily and to excess, they can impair a thyroid's function. Occasional consumption usually will have no effect at all, unless the untreated thyroid is in an extremely precarious state, or unless the person is intolerant of that food for some other reason.

Once a person is properly medicated, she can usually eat any food she wants to in moderation, because when thyroid levels are optimal, she will tolerate goitrogenic foods just the same as a thyroid-healthy individual. Norma, if you will be having your thyroid removed, goitrogenic foods are almost a non-issue for you.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
    feathermaid
    Inactive
    (female)

feathermaid HB User

Yep. We should avoid Cabbage as well as a few others. Broccoli, kale, cauliflower, turnip green, spinach, brussel sprouts, ect. I had TT in Jan. Never before been bothered. I know it was it because I ate at least a cup for a meal and has some with another meal. Loved the stuff. And while researching why I felt sooo bad I saw it. For some people it causes illness. (It blocks the thyroid.) So you do not get it. So no matter how well you are medicated it can affect you. That will make you go hypo. Of course one size does not fit all. Never has, so the only one who will know if it bothers you will be you.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
    feathermaid
    Inactive
    (female)

feathermaid HB User

Yep. We should avoid Cabbage as well as a few others. Broccoli, kale, cauliflower, turnip green, spinach, brussel sprouts, ect. I had TT in Jan. Never before been bothered. I know it was it because I ate at least a cup for a meal and has some with another meal. Loved the stuff. And while researching why I felt sooo bad I saw it. For some people it causes illness. (It blocks the thyroid.) So you do not get it. So no matter how well you are medicated it can affect you. That will make you go hypo. Of course one size does not fit all. Never has, so the only one who will know if it bothers you will be you. Hey do you think if all those people with hyperthyroid did a greens diet their symptoms would be reduced?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I wasn't aware of this problem with greens. I've continued to eat all of them.

How do they make you feel if they are causing a problem?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

yep i didnt know either , but thinkin back we used to grow runner beans in the garden summertime and i would munch on them raw as im a terrible snacker and i got really ill a few times after them with fatigue and green runs lol so i dont eat them anymore and i will avoid them all for now on , do green beans count also love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

Eating those foods cooked shouldn't be a problem for most. It's the raw version that should be avoided under certain conditions, like when you are hypo. But as Midwest said, once you are properly regulated you can eat just about anything in moderation.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i dont know if i would take a chance but as it happens archie i am going to mum and dads for sunday lunch tom so i mught try a bit cooked thanks matey love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Closed Thread