It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone know about iodine therapy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User
    Anyone know about iodine therapy?

I haven't ever heard of it but I am going to do an iodine test tonight. You put a 2x2 square of the reddish iodine on your inner arm. Supposedly, a person that has adequate amounts of iodine in their body, the square will stay about the same color for 24 hours. If you are lacking iodine, your skin will absorb it. If it absorbs in less than 10 hours, you are severely iodine deprived. If so, it is suggested that you take some type of supplement like Iodoral, Prolamine or such.

There is a great deal of controversy about iodine therapy but there is also research that apparently points to it's positive effects. Some thyroidolosgist say it is the "treatment of choice" for hypo and hyperT issues. There studies seem to say that w/ sufficient iodine tx goiter is reduced or eliminated, obesity is more easily overcome, menopausal symptoms are improved, brain functions better and more.

I am not at all claiming to know ANYTHING about this. Basically took all that info from an article a chriopractor gave me. I'm curious to see if any of you have heard of this and if any of you have tried it. TIA!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Anyone know about iodine therapy?

The most common cause of hypothyroidism in the industrialized world is the autoimmune disease known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, not iodine insufficiency. For most people with thyroid autoimmunity, the addition of iodine makes them feel far worse and doesn't improve their thyroid's output at all.

If you think you may be iodine deficient, get a genuine medical lab test for it. The skin test is not reliable. FWIW, I thought I might've been iodine-deficient at one time; I was wrong.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User

Seems to be lot of controversy around the issue..as with everything!!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

If you have eaten an iodine-deficient diet for a while, there is a standard MD-ordered medical test (serum or urine) to determine whether or not you are iodine-deficient. If so, it's fairly easy to supplement.

A few maverick doctors (Abraham, Flechas, Brownstein) have designed an alternate test: iodine-loading -- where one ingests a large dose of iodine, then collects urine to be evaluated for how much iodine is being excreted. From this is computed how much iodine was retained, which if more than minimal, is considered (by the mavericks) to be a sign of iodine insufficiency.

Over 90% of people who do the iodine loading test score " insufficient, " compared to 12% of the US population when tested by serum or urine, non-loading. That's part of the controversy -- it's hard to accept such a divergent finding.

If you are able to follow the periodical, The Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients, there has been ongoing discussion for a couple of years about the iodine-loading test, and Iodoral-type supplementation. It is not universal among naturopaths & holistic docs that this method is accepted. It is not without risk & side-effects.

Worthwhile to consider: One Iodoral tablet, with 12.5 mg of Iodine, is about 83 times the RDA. Loading with 4 Iodoral tablets (for the test, and sometimes recommended dep. on test results) gives one 320 times the RDA for Iodine.

In times past, Iodine was used to treat thyroid issues. Very few thyroidologists use it regularly at present. However, if thyroid function is decreased due to iodine deficiency, some supplementation may make sense. If you do decide to supplement iodine, I hope you will consider your selenium status as well. Iodine supplementation in states of selenium deficiency can unmask latent genetic tendency towards autoimmunity.

Best wishes.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User

Thank you!! I came across some of this information while researching. I did the iodine tincture test since the dr. recommended it. I actually had everyone in my family do it to see if it was different on any of us. There were slight variations but nothing significant.

It's interesting you mentioned the selenium, I just started taking a supplement a week or so ago.

I'm a little nervous about this since it's all new to me and there seems to be diffferent stances on the issue.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
    noodles3
    (female)

noodles3 HB User

So did you notice any fading of the tincture test? I just did it today and it is faded out quite a bit (almost gone) within 7 hours. I started taking a multi with iodine about 3 weeks ago. I guess this should be tested through my endo but at least I can give her a heads up on the issue.

Closed Thread