It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hurthle cell neoplasm and surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
    salpatel
    (male)

salpatel HB User
    Hurthle cell neoplasm and surgery

Hello all! I am new to this board. I recently went to my ENT b/c I had swallowing difficulties and chronic lymph node infections for about one year. The first two docs (internal medicine) said it may just be an infection and gave me antibiotics. The ENT ordered a CT scan of my neck which found a 1.6 cm nodule in my right thyroid lobe. An FNA was performed and it said:
    "Abundant colloid, numerous Hurthle cells, hemosiderin laden macrophages. Consistent with Hurthle cell neoplasm."

I'm a 32 yo male and have been reading a lot about Hurthle cell neoplasms on the net. I've read they are more likely to be cancerous if found in males. I'm scheduled for surgery on 12/21 and they will take out the right half of the thyroid. A frozen section analysis will be done during surgery to determine if it's cancerous, but the final result will take a week. If the final analysis shows cancer, I have to go back to the operating room.

Has anyone else here had an FNA finding of Hurthle cell neoplasm? I hear surgery is the only way to go for this diagnosis, but is there anything else one can test (blood, thyroid scan, etc.) to find out if it is more or less suspicious for Hurthle cancer? I never had any thyroid problems before and would love to hear from anyone else who has gone through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
    Dounia
    (female)

Dounia HB User
    Re: Hurthle cell neoplasm and surgery

I had noduals on my thyroid and had an ultrasound the a FNB and hurthle cells were found. I had my thyriod removed 2 years ago and they took out the whole thing becuase they found noduals on the other side as well. It turned out that it was just hurthle cells and no cancer. When the endo called me and told me about the FNB results she refered to them as precancerous cells. Hurthle cells in and of themselves are not cancer, but the do eventually turn into cancer. From what I understand.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I know that there have been people even on this board, like the above poster that had hurthle cells, and they were benign.

You might want to ask your doctor about the issue of taking the entire thyroid. If the nodule is large, and the surgeon is very concerned, it might help you avoid a second surgery-----sometimes the only way to know for sure is a week after the surgery when the pathology comes back.

I had a very easy surgery experience, and I live on synthroid (which some pp. with half a thyroid do as well---although some don't), I had pappillary thyroid cancer----but knew it ahead of time so had the whole thing removed, and I feel just fine.

Either way, it isn't necessarily going to be cancer, and if it is cancer, you will be okay......

Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
    salpatel
    (male)

salpatel HB User

Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me feel much better. I'm exercising to get into the best health for the surgery. Until then, I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and pray.

My nodule is about 1.5 cm and the surgeon is planning on doing an endoscopic surgery (at least that's what the surgery form said). I'm worried about taking out the whole thyroid if it turns out to be nothing. I heard the endoscopic method is less invasive so if I need another surgery, I hope it won't take too long to recover.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
    good2go
    (female)

good2go HB User

I just got my official word yesterday that it was hurthle cell tumor. I have a scheduled consultation with the surgeon in January, but hope to get in sooner, they will let me know on Monday.

Everything I've read so far on-line and was told my my endocrinologist indicates the only true way to know if it is benign or malignant is to take it out. It appears I will be having the left side of my thyroid taken out, but I'll get all the specifics in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck to you and lets keep our heads up! Everything I've read indicate our odds are good!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
    salpatel
    (male)

salpatel HB User

Thanks! I wish you good luck with your surgery too. The only way to know if this is benign or malignant is to take it out. My surgery is Thursday. I'll post to let you know how it goes.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
    Jenny C.
    (female)

Jenny C. HB User

Hi,

I just had the similar tumor.. Mine was an Oncocytic Hurthle cell tumor...I had my right side removed...the pathologist report came back stating the blood vessels surrounding it, and the tissue surrounding it were benign.
    My Dr. told me, that there are two schools of thoughts on Hurthle cell tumor's, some Dr.'s believe it is automatically cancerous, and others believe it is Pre-cancerous...He said, he believes it to be Pre-cancerous.
    So he left my left lobe in, and decided to follow the left side, with sonograms every 6 months...Since there were no nodules on my left lobe.
    My tumor was 2.5 cm, when they removed it..I will be honest, and say I am afraid of it returning on the left side...But I just have to know, they are following it, so if anything happens, they will get it out.
    Good Luck with your surgery...I will be praying for you, and please let me know how it turns out.
    Keep your chin up, knowing..that Hurthle cells ARE NOT always cancer...I am living proof of that...and I am SOO THANKFUL, I found it, and got it out there, that is the only option is surgery, when they find that you have a Hurthle cell tumor...So Good Luck, and I will for sure be watching for your post..It is soo nice to share with people who have the same thing.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
    salpatel
    (male)

salpatel HB User

It was very comforting to read your story. Thanks for your prayers. I'm pretty optomistic about the surgery after reading all the posts here.

Closed Thread