It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• surgery cancelled due to cold -scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
    11marie11
    (female)

11marie11 HB User
    surgery cancelled due to cold -scared!

Okay, my surgeon cancelled my surgery due to my cold, sore throat swollen glands. But he can not see me again until May 7. So, that will be a total of 4 months from diagnosis. My tumor is 1 cm. Will it spread more by then? Could it go to lymph nodes? I am nervous.... Has anyone ever waited that long? Should I find another surgeon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User
    Re: surgery cancelled due to cold -scared!

11marie:
    I forgot, what type of cancer do you have? If it's pap or follicular they are slow growing. From my understanding you should not have a problem waiting. Not sure what you are diagnosed with. Are you on Levoxly or Synthroid while you are waiting? Sometimes doctors use this to suppress thyroid horomones so nodules don't grow.

Even if it goes to the lymph nodes your prognosis will still be the same. The rules about spreading to the lymph nodes do not apply to thyroid cancer. At least that's what my doc told me. (It's different if you had breast cancer). The treatment is still the same. The RAI will kill whatever is left.

If it makes you feel better, ask the surgeon to get on a cancellation list in case someone cancels. This happens more often that you think. Take care!

Kathy

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
    Jenny C.
    (female)

Jenny C. HB User

Oh My Goodness...I am soo sorry to hear this...I haven't followed your previous posts...Do you defitnitely have cancer??? Or are you just having a suspious nodule removed??
    I agree with the other person, that posted...I would defitnitely tell your surgeon to have you on stand by in the event, if someone cancels, or they just have an opening.
    When I had my surgery...long story short, they had me scheduled on Saturday, because my surgeon schedules all of his patients on Saturdays, because the hospital he works out of...is a VERY BIG, and BUSY hospital...well I have in my family, malignant hypothermia...which is an allergy to antisetic..I don't have it, but my son, and mom and sister do...but because of this..the day before my surgery, they cancelled me...I was SOOO Upset...He said, he didn't do his surgeries throughout the week, because he could never get in the Operating room, unless it was for an emergency..So long story short..the hospital cancelled me, he told me...He would tenatively put me on the schedule for that following Friday, but for me "Not to count on it", because he said, more then likely they would cancel it again...because of Emergencies...So I was freaking out.
    Well he called me on Tuesday, of the next week, and said, they had an opening in the OR, would I want to take it....YES, YES, YES...So they squeezed me in.
    In your situation, they should squeeze you in...So I would for sure ask them to PLEASE keep you in mind, if they have an opening...And then, if it were me, yes, I would look for another surgeon, just because I personally would want it out, as soon as possible.
    Good Luck, and I am soo sorry, you got sick...and your surgery got cancelled.
    I will keep you in my prayers...I know how stressful of a time, this has to be on you.
    God Bless, and please keep me posted!
    Jenny

Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
    11marie11
    (female)

11marie11 HB User

I have papillary Cancer. I have a 1 cm nodule. I have a call into my Endo to see if he can put me on the hormone. I also have a call into another surgeon. But this was the best surgeon, and I really wanted him. I am nervous... I don't want it to spread into my lymph nodes. I was hoping to NOT have to do RAI and just the surgery. but I am really sick....

Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
    Jenny C.
    (female)

Jenny C. HB User

Well with you being soo sick..It is a good thing, they postponed your surgery..you can't go under antisetic, being sick. It was Just really BAD timing, for you to get sick...but you honestly are safer to wait it out, until you are better.
    I just wish for you, that they could re-schedule you sooner.
    I agree with you..go with another surgeon, if they can't squeeze you in.
    I personally would want it out of me, as soon as possible.
    You'll be OKAY, so try to relax, so you can heal from your sickness...but waiting a little longer, you should be fine.
    I have read alot about thyroid cancers, and everything I have read, says, that Pappillary is the slowest growing, and that it usually stays contained in the thyroid, and it doesn't spread beyond that point, so allow your body to heal, and in the meantime, be trying to get in sooner, Or find another surgeon.. to get that cancer out of there.
    God Bless, and I will be praying for you!!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User

11marie:
    How are you doing! Why don't you call your surgeon that cancelled and tell him or his scheduler you don't want to wait 4 months. Ask who he would recommend in his place. I know I didn't want to wait two months and wrote a letter to my surgeon explaining the circumstances (two young kids, hired a nanny to help while I recuperated,etc). He was able to fit me in within 4 weeks.

Also, you will most likely need RAI. It is recommended for pap cancer and will ensure a good prognosis. Please try not to get wrapped up in the bad stuff. You have options which is far more than others who have different forms of cancer have. We have almost 100% cure rate. Even though it is small (mine was to), the docs (even the one's at Hopkins) wanted me to have it. I'm young and they wanted the stuff to be zapped. Remember, even if it has spread the prognosis is still the same.

Take care and try to relax!

Kathy

Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

I understand you would like to get this behind you but you could delay for years with little increased risk. Pap and follicular cancers are extremely slow growing.

During one of my appointments with my endo he told me he thought I still had some follicular growing somewhere--it just doesn't show up yet on any sort of scan (I've had PET scan, CT scan, and RAI uptake scan). When I told him I wasn't worried he said there was no need to be worried. "Many people die every year with thyroid cancer," he said, "but almost NO ONE dies FROM thyroid cancer."

What he was really saying is that many thyroid cancers are never diagnosed and will be found only when some other disease threatens and then kills the patients.

Last edited by Archie343; 02-01-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
    aussie_girl
    (female)

aussie_girl HB User

i had a 1cm papillary also and they told me if it wasnt found due to the cyst i already had i may not have noticed it there for another 5 years and by then it would have spread so it seems they are rather slow growing and 4 months isnt too long im sure if the doctors had grave concern for it they would have been able to squeeze you in sometime sooner.

Closed Thread