It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Swollen Glands common with Goiters?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User
    Unhappy Swollen Glands common with Goiters?????

Hi,

Its me again sorry for all the questions I am just a mess. My glands are swollen. Last week I went to the clinic and they said I had a submandibular gland infection. Took antibiotics for a week then started to have an allergic reaction, but I think it was the indomethacin. I am okay now. Anyway I only took two amoxicillin instead of 4 yesterday and none today. Is it normal to have or to get swollen glands and/or submandibular gland infection with a multinodular goiter? I am so afraid that I have cancer or something. When I am sleeping and if I especially turn on either side I feel something pushing on my esophagus, chest, collar bone. I just got my MRI back of my chest and it shows nothing. Thank God for that. My ent has ordered a cat scan of the neck with and without contrast and a cat scan of my sinuses, to try to get to the bottom of it. I also feel a big bulge deep in my throat where my thyroid is but it does not look that swollen. I wonder if its is growing all underneath my collar bone and neck. I am scared to death. I get my cat scans Monday, but I can not even sleep. I only slept 2 hours last night. I have to get up to get everything back in order it seeems and to relieve the pain. Someone please respond.

Thanks,

Karen
    ventcrew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: Swollen Glands common with Goiters?????

Hi Karen,
    I have a multinodular goiter and they've gone up and down over the last 3.5 years....I've had a neck CT/Chest CT/ MRI and everything looked okay. Fortunately with synthroid treatment (don't know if it's coincidence or not), my throat has been a lot more comfortable. However, back in October I got some kind of weird virus with the same kind of gland swelling you describe - I am still having it - and it's spread to the other side - also my thyroid is swollen again but I do not know about the state of the nodules yet. They sent me for another CT of my neck just to be sure none of the glands were anything to worry about - it came back fine - bottom line: I think I've read here before of others who have had swollen glands with thyroid problems and I am certainly one of them - my neck looks really swollen on the sides and front....don't know if this helps but my suspicion is that when the thyroid swells, the neck glands think there's an invader and swell up in response....I'm not a doctor....this is just my guess....there was a time when I could hardly lay down at night it my throat felt so full - but I can happily say that is not the case any more - that went on for about 9 months.....I was dx in 08/03....
    Good luck with everything - I"m sure they are being cautious with the neck CT - they were with me....
    Hang in there!
    Kathy

Old 02-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for responding. I had a terrible night last night. I slept maybe 2 hours. It feel like something is choking me. When I lay on my back it feels like my thyroid(I guess thats what I am feeling) is going to pop out of the front of my neck. Well I get the cat scan of my neck and sinuses on Monday Feb. 5. I still am waiting for a script from the Endocrinologists for the FNA of the one nodule. I do not like my Endocrinologists. I do have a good ENT though. I have been going through test since Feb 2006. My Thyroid blood counts have all been good or just a tiny off. My endocrinologists told me I was fine in Oct. 2006 and my problem was anxiety and menopause. I wanted to hit him. Well now we are maybe finally getting somewhere. I practically had to beg him to give me another ultrasound. Thats when he found that one nodule had grown 3 times the size in 9 months and said I needed to have it biopsied (ya think). Well I will post again when I know something else. Thanks again for all your help everyone. I do not know what I would do without you all.

Karen

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User

ventcrew, thats how i have felt in the past off and on, i remember on New Years i couldn't sleep cause of it, i wish you luck on your appt. and hope all goes well, you can think of me i will be getting my thyroid removed on the same day as your appt. i so hope it makes all this go away.

Love, Monkey

Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
    Jenny C.
    (female)

Jenny C. HB User

Hi Karen,

I just read your post, I am SOO SORRY, you are feeling soo badly.
    I know that is an awful feeling....like you are choking...I remember that feeling very clearly.
    I just wanted to write and let you know, that I am here for you...for emotional support, or any questions you may have...I may not know answers to alot of your questions, but please know, if you just need a friend, to help you through this scarey time...I will be here for you.
    I know how scared I was, when I was going through it...and it was nice to have people to talk to, who had been there.
    Good Luck for sleep tonight...I will be praying for you, and that your neck will feel better tonight, when you lay down.
    Keep me posted on how you are feeling.

Jenny

Old 02-04-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Karen,
    I have had countless tests since this whole thing started and each one has been stressful - I know how you feel....btw, my labs were never off much either - then an endo found the nodule and started me on sythroid - I will always be grateful that he was willing to treat me even though the labs were pretty normal....If it helps at all, I used to feel like I was choking all the time and now I am comfortable again - so they nodules did shrink.....
    Have hope - hang in there....will be thinking of you....
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 02-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User

Hi Jenny, Monkey and Kathy,

I finally slept pretty good last night. I stopped all my meds for 1 night (Friday) and yesterday I took the Amoxicillin, Motrin and (Ambien at night). My left gland is real swollen still, my right was a bit also. I think that along with the multinodular goiter was just enough to put me over the edge. I must have got some kind of infection and it went down hill from there. Also, I took my sleeping pill, but I always wake up through that if I am in pain or burning so I did pretty good. After they figure out what is wrong with me and hopefully they can take care of it I will need help getting off the Ambien. My doctor said I need to try to sleep now that is more important. He said that when I am no longer in pain and choking etc. that I will not have a problem with the Ambien. My Physiatrists and Neurologists are the docs (working together) that have me on my meds. I work full time and I have only missed to go to appts. and like 2 days. I love my job which helps. I work in the library at the local high school. Again, thank you all so much for being there for me. I could not get through this without you all. I will post later or after my Cat Scans tomorrow, or if I have any more questions. If you don't mind watch out for my name and new questions as this is all so new to me and they really are not quite sure what is wrong with me.
    Thanks again.

Karen

Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User

Karen, i hope you get to the bottom of this, it is no fun, i will be praying for you as i know you will be for me also! Kathy, i am glad your's have shrunk and made you feel more comfortable! I am glad meds are working for you! I hope you continue to do well!

Love, Missy

Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
    littleone1972
    (female)

littleone1972 HB User

Hi Guys, boy what a weird day. I've had a viral cold infection for the last few weeks and last night had a lump come up at base of my throat right sided which was really painful. I couldn't sleep as it felt like I was choking no matter which way I turned. Went to the emergency doctor today as the pain was getting worse and radiating up to my ear and down my neck.. lo and behold they diagnosed thryroid problem which could have flared due to the virus and told me to go to doctor tomorrow and get some bloods. I have been checked over the years for thyroid but always came back normal ( I had another autoimmune disease 14 years ago). For years I've been complaining of having this tight sensation as though someone is chocking me at the base of my throat and been sent to GI's etc who have found nothing... so do you guys get this sensation ever? I have trouble losing weight, have trouble sleeping, keep waking up, really hot but no temperature, but also get cold hands and feet frequently... its all adding up I think... I'm glad I found this forum I've used this board for last few years for a balance problem I have.. but now wondering if hte lingering dizzines I have is caused by something else and not the ear problem I originally thought! x

Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
    MATYA
    (female)

MATYA HB User

Strangly enough prior to having my TT I did not experience my glands being swollen, however, post TT over 1 year my glands frequently swell on the side where the thyroid was the largest.

Hand in there and continue to talk with your Dr.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
    ventcrew
    (female)

ventcrew HB User

littleone1972,

Boy you sure sound a lot like me. However my labs are not off by much at all. Although he never did a Free T3. I have a multinodular goiter and the last ultrasound showed that a nodule grew 3 times bigger in 9 months. I am going to be getting that biopsied. I have alot of the same symptoms as you do. Good luck to you.

karen

ventcrew

Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
    Kaylene
    (female)

Kaylene HB User
    Red face Re: Swollen Glands common with Goiters?????

For what feels like the longest time (over 2 years) I have been thinking the same.. I have cancer or something. Glands swollen, voice deepens, trouble swallowing and something pushing its way out of my throat. I have seen Dr's and had scans etc etc but aside from a small 5x6x5 on the right thyroid node (that hasnt changed in 2 years) I am fine. No huge lumpy alien in there, so I just silently worry each time I feel my throat and those fat hard glands. I swear - My heart stopped beating when I read this thread.

I will stress less knowing that it maybe linked and the fact I am not alone.
    Weird but calming at the same time
    K

Closed Thread