It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cushing's Syndrome/HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User
    Cushing's Syndrome/HELP

Hi!! I have excessive weight gain (abdominal), High BP,Pre-Diabetes, High triglycerides& lipids, red cheeks, puffy face and swelling in my upper back/neck area (pick up by my husband). I think I may have Cushing's ...does anybody out there know anything about this....I'm scared. It appears I have alot of the symptoms, that look like cushing's....I'm gonna have my cortisol levels checked this week. any info would be GREAT. Jen in NJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Cushing's Syndrome/HELP

Jen,

You might want to get checked for Insulin Resistance too. I have a mild form of it and it causes these same symptoms......Diet and exercise takes care of mine and blood pressure medication. My cortisol is low........... I have cut back on my coffee and am trying to eliminate stress as much as I can......

Many of these exact symptoms go along with so many disorders so sometimes reading on the internet can be scary.......... try and stay calm until you know something for sure...........

I hope that helps somehow............. Oleander

Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

I have been dx. with insulin resistance but my weight continues to rise even with meds for BP and elevated insulin...I even have a personal trainer working with me ....but no luck. The thing that has me scared is that I saw some pictures on the web of what a "cushing pts. "body looks like....and it's my body...TO THE T. And the hump on my neck/upper back...is a scary addition to my symptoms. I really need my cortisol checked. Thanks for your input, Oleander. Jen

Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

You could very well indeed have Cushing's disease, but again, it's one of those diseases that CAN be difficult to diagnose. You will probably have an AM cortisol draw and a PM cortisol draw. The PM is more diagnostic-if it is elevated that is a big clue. If you do have cushing's, then they will test further to see if it is from the adrenal glands, such as a benign tumor, or if it's from the pituitary gland, also a benign tumor(benign meaning not cancerous, but both very busy making you sick!). You will also probably do a 24-hour urine to test your cortisol levels. In fact, sometimes you have to do many at different times, as you may have cyclical swings in your cortisol. Hope this helps!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

My first ex-wife thought I might have Cushings 25 years ago--swollen face was the most obvious symptom. I went to an endo who did a battery of tests with the result being no diagnosis of anything.

One of the tests he gave me was a pregnancy test! I kid you not.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Wow! And to think he earned an MD behind his name!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

The pregnancy test gave him some important info about certain hormone levels, info he used to rule out Cushing's or other thyroid issues. It wasn't a mistake, just very weird.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
    Jamie2703
    (female)

Jamie2703 HB User

This is the first time I saw Cushings mentioned on this board by someone else other than me, and I thought I was the only one who thought I have this. I am currently being tested for it as of this week. I went to my family doctor because I've been sick for a while and they cant figure out what it is. I took her the info from the internet that I found, I printed out all of the symptoms and highlighted the ones I have (which are most of them) and she agreed!!!!! I figured she'd think I was crazy. She ordered blood work, a 24 hour urine test, she did an EKG and ordered a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen with and without contrast! I go for that on the 13th of Feb. Don't feel alone, I'm going through this too right now.....do what I did if you feel strongly that this could be it. Print out the symptoms and highlight what you have of them and go to the doc and say TEST ME!!!!!!!! I printed out the symptoms for adrenal fatigue and Cushings, after she did and exam of my stomach she told me she had never seen this before but suspected and adrenal tumor (Cushings). She mashed on a few places on my stomach and then went back to a place that was painful, but of course I grinned and bared it, so she went back to it and said is it tender in this area? I told her yes it was painful there and then she ordered the CT scan. I was kinda embarrassed to go to the doc and say I think I have a rare disease, but thats the thing, it's rare so they never suspect it. I also read that alot of people with cushings also have thyroid disease and nodules on their thyroid...which I have. I have a post on here about my 500,000 symptoms (lol). Read those and see if they sound like you. I may have forgotten a few, but thats what I presented to my doc. Good luck! If you need to talk to someone about this I'm always on here, and I have been doing mad reasearch about this. I'm just waiting to find out if I have a tumor or not right now. I know it's easier said than done (trust me) but just relax and things will work its self out. Good Luck, and I'm wishing you the best!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

Jamie, I'm going to the Endo Doc on 13th , also. I'm scared to have Cushing's and I'm scared to not have Cushing's...because what could be wrong with me. I've gain so much weight over the last 5 years my pictures don't even resemble the same person....I'v gained weight all over but my stomach is ridiculous...it hangs over on itself. My body looks like the bodies of people with Cushing's on the web....I just don't have stretch marks (which I know is also a sign). I just feel in my gut...something isn't right....next week should "tell the tale" for both of us. I'm in NJ , where are you??? I'll check the message board for your symptoms...I'm interested to see which ones you've got. Please keep in touch...it's good to know I'm not the only "Multi-Symptom Person" out there. Jen in NJ

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
    Jamie2703
    (female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Hey there..... I know exactly what you're going through! My stomach looks the same way, hangy (but I do have sreatch marks) and whats wierd is I've had 3 children, with the first I got 4 stretch marks! 6 more with the second and about 10 with the 3rd (she was a big baby), but now in just the past 2 years I've probably got hundreds!!!! I know how you feel about not wanting to find out you have it but finding out you don't have it scares you too. I'm going throught the same thing. My doctor told me she suspects an adrenal cortical carcinoma, which I read is the cancerous tumor. That scared me to think she suspects cancer, when what I read about Cushings is that 90% of the time it's cureable, and what I mean is a tumor on the pituitary or adrenal glands are usually benign and do not spread, and can be removed by adrenalectomy, which in turn can, in most cases cause weight loss farely steadily, as well as improving your health. So when she told me what she suspected (adrenal mass) I was excited ( I havent been a normal weight since 6 years old ). But when I read about the adrenal cortical carcinoma, which is the malignant tumor, my heart fell. So right now I'm praying that if something is found, it will be able to be removed and my life can start fresh and new again! Just think positive....I'm trying to....if you are diagnosed with it I know it would be a relief to know the cause of you're symptoms, it will be to me too, because I've sure been feeling like I could die some days, and get dizzy/nausea spells so bad I do get scared that something will happen to me. Do like I said in one of my other resposes, print a list of the symptoms and highlight all the ones you have, add ones you have to the list thats not on there, take it to your doctor and say this is what I found, can we look into this and start testing. I was so nervous I was almost sick when I went to the doctor (thats also a sign of an adrenal problem too!) and told her that (to test my cortisol), and to my supprise she agreed! So you never know....it's your body and you know when somethings not right. Also doctors see alot of patents, and the only time they know whats going on with you is when they read your chart. Sometimes us patents have to take control of our health and ask for certain things. I've never been the controlling type person, even when it comes to my health, I just grin and agree and go with whatever they tell me. But after the other day when I asked for what I wanted, and got it, it made me feel good. I may have saved my own life, beause she admitted to never seeing this in someone before. I'm sorry for rambling on, I just have wierd emotions going on right now not knowing what the outcome will be as I'm sure you do too. I wish you luck, and I'm on here alot if you need to talk, I check the boards and read them sometimes 10 times a day! Please, if you need anything, don't hesitate, I'll see your post on here. It helps to have someone to talk to. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing and how your appointment goes on the 13th. (And oh by the way, I'm from North carolina.)I almost forgot you asked that.....good luck I'll keep you in my prayers!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
    Jamie2703
    (female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Hey also if you havent seen my list of symptoms yet its under the thread "MAD MAZ and those who wanted to know the 500,000 symptoms". I wasnt sure if you found it or not.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

Hi Jamie, Just read your note...I hear you about being your own ADVOCATE. I'm embarrased to say this but I'm a nurse...17 years in the OR. I've got alot of good insight when it comes to others but I'm an AWFUL PATIENT, myself. Anyway, I will be bringing a list of symptoms with me to the Endo. doc next week...and I'm also bringing my husband (for moral support) he was the one who noticed the lump developing on my upper back/ neck area. Just wanted you to know your in my thoughts...if it's cancer you'll deal with it....you've already gone thru the hard part....finding a diagnosis. Life should not be so hard for us, mothers. Be well...I'll speak to you soon. I'm having my lab work done tomorrow. Jen in NJ

Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Funny girl,

You will find many of us nurses on here................... I am great with others but when it comes to me? I freak out..........We are the worst patients ever.
    The older I get the worse I get too..........you weigh everything out, look for agendas, on and on................ we know too much about hospitals, Doctors. ORs, attitudes and beliefs. It is just not easy for us who have worked inside these places..........

Oleander

Old 02-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
    Jamie2703
    (female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Hey funnygirl......nurse... ....stand up for yourself.....you of all people know how important good health is! I've always wanted to go into that profession....just last year I took the CNA class and then I went into Medical Assisting...but unfortunately thats when my medical problems started up on me with a vengence, and I had to drop my classes I tried for over a year to get into. that saddened me terribly, but I do have the CNA and phlebotomy schooling, it's just harder to find a job in those around here. I envy you, you have a great job, now you just need to tell the docs you know what you're talking about and you're taking control of your health! Good luck on your appointment, mine is the 13th too for my CT scan, you'll be in my thoughts. Maybe we'll both get some answers, maybe the 13th will be a good day for us....at least it's not on Friday!!! Talk to ya soon!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Well, well...maybe the 13th is a lucky day! My appt. is the same day, so maybe something good will come out of all our visits!

Closed Thread