It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Question about Ultrasound test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
    Diane1943
    (female)

Diane1943 HB User
    Question Question about Ultrasound test?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have a question concerning the ultrasound test of my thyroid. First I need to give you a little background. Some years back when my doctor was in other city she found a nodule on my thyroid and had it tested and concluded that is wasn't any problem because it was a single nodule and less likely to be cancerous. Years later another doctor upon exam found the same nodule and asked if I ever had it FNA and I said no and at that time we dropped it. Well a friend of my had a nodule on hers and her doctor had these tests done and she was sent and had a FNA and she ended up having her thyroid out. The funny thing to this story is her mother and my mother both had their thyroids out. So I got to thinking about it and went back to my doctor and told him after some checking on the internet that the only true test was a FNA to see if nodule was benign or not. Come to find out from the ultrasound on the test results my doctor writes that I have a goiter and thats all. I understand that 95% of these are benign, but my question is, should he be sending me to another doctor for futher testing like the FNA? I'm posting the results of the ultrasound below. Also in 2005 he did a T3 uptake test which I have read on line is not really the test to be done for thyroid disease.

God Bless,
    Diane1943

THYROID ULTRASOUND

Comments: An elongated gland is noted bilaterally measuring up to 5 cm in length. There is also a heterogeneous parenchymal pattern with multiple discrete nodules seen bilaterally. A dominant nodule is seen in the left midpole of approximately 6 x 8 mm, with several additional smaller nodules of 2 to 3 mm in size. The right lobe shows two dominant nodules in the mid to lower portion averaging 6 to 7 mm in size, with again additional smaller nodules averaging 3 to 4 mm.

Impression: Multinodular gland. If further evaluation is clinically warranted, a radiouclide scan may be of use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
    mocha232
    (female)

mocha232 HB User
    Wink Re: Question about Ultrasound test?

Hi, I also have a multinodular goiter. You definitely need more blood work done: TSH FT3/FT4 and possibly antibodies. As for your U/S, a dominant nodule is considered a concern. But you "technically" don't have a dominant nodule per se. A nodule is considered dominant when one is much larger than the others across the entire thyroid. The one they say is dominant on the left lobe is roughly the same size as two others on the right lobe, so there really isn't a dominant nodule. I have a dominant nodule which has always been at least 3 times larger than any of the other 12 nodules that I have, which is now a Hurthle Cell Tumor (neoplasm) determined through FNA. Your Dr probably won't send you for an FNA because your nodules are too small to be biopsied. I had an FNA when my nodule was 1.5cm and it came back nondiagnostic because they couldn't get enough of a sample to work with. It's really not possible to get a sufficient sample until a nodule is at least 8mm-1cm. They'll most likely just monitor you for now.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Question about Ultrasound test?

Yes, it's probably a bit on the small side, (I think the norm is 1cm to FNA) and when you have multiple nodules it's even less likely to be cancerous.

An ENT or an endo. should be "watching" that nodule for growth every year, and do an FNA if it either looks "suspicious" or seems to be suddenly growing.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
    Diane1943
    (female)

Diane1943 HB User
    Re: Question about Ultrasound test?

Thank you so much for your reply. Not knowing anything about the size of the nodules I didn't know what I was looking at. It looks like I can just relax now.

God Bless,
    Diane

Closed Thread