It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Nodule Found In My Daughters Thyroid Gland

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
    KBM
    (female)

KBM HB User
    Nodule Found In My Daughters Thyroid Gland

Hi everyone........ I am new to this board and hoping that someone might have had the same diagnoses and your experience with it how the nodule was monitored.

My 16 year old daughter who has Down Syndrome and hypothyroidism went for a sonogram because the new doctor I brought her to felt that her thyroid gland felt alittle large. The results came back and it seems that there is no dominant nodule but there is a tiny (4 mm ) nodule in the mid to lower pole of the left lobe. Her recommendation to me was to have another sonogram in a year. That concerns me because they recently found 2 small nodules in my lungs and I have to go get rechecked in three months. I meantioned this to the doctor and she said with me in could be cancerous and in the lung nodules if cancer grow quicker. I felt like saying.........why there is no such thing as thyroid cancer? But I didn't. We left it that it will be rechecked in a year but am not comfortable with that.

Has anyone had a nodule and what were the course of events for you?
    Thanks for any information you can give me.

Katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
    jobeth12
    (female)

jobeth12 HB User
    Re: Nodule Found In My Daughters Thyroid Gland

Hi Katie.

My endo. found a nodules (5mm each one) on each side back in Oct 06 and she did a biopsy to insure they were benign (not the most pleasant experience). In most cases (over 90% of the time) nodules are not cancerous, which is why they may want to watch it.

Good luck with everything.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Hi Katie...sorry about the nodule on your daughter's thyroid...I also had an ultrasound done last year and had a nodule found...mine is 0.6 cm...it is recommended that I have another ultrasound done to see if it stays the same or gets bigger...I am hypothyroid...please let us know what happens

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
    KBM
    (female)

KBM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkprincess3 View Post
    Hi Katie...sorry about the nodule on your daughter's thyroid...I also had an ultrasound done last year and had a nodule found...mine is 0.6 cm...it is recommended that I have another ultrasound done to see if it stays the same or gets bigger...I am hypothyroid...please let us know what happens
    How long did they suggest you wait to have the other sono done?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Sorry for your troubles.

They are doing the right thing with your daughter's nodule. They often don't needle biopsy until they are about one centimeter, and your daughter's is tiny. IT's good that they watch it for growth over time.

Thyroids often grow nodules for no reason, many are walking around with them not knowing it, and 95% of thyroid nodules are benign, and even if it were thyroid cancer, which is rare, it is very slow growing, totally curable, and not "deadly" like other types.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

I had my first ultrasound done in March 2006...and my second in June 2006...am waiting to see when my doctor says i should go back for another...on both ultrasounds the nodule was the same

Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
    KBM
    (female)

KBM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Sorry for your troubles.

They are doing the right thing with your daughter's nodule. They often don't needle biopsy until they are about one centimeter, and your daughter's is tiny. IT's good that they watch it for growth over time.

Thyroids often grow nodules for no reason, many are walking around with them not knowing it, and 95% of thyroid nodules are benign, and even if it were thyroid cancer, which is rare, it is very slow growing, totally curable, and not "deadly" like other types.
    Your words were very comforting...very informitive and helpful....thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

im so sorry to hear about your little girl i think thats worse we would rather have it for them if we could wouldnt we has she had any thyroid symptoms??? i guess the docs will test her for those every so often i have to go for a scan evry one on here why did you go inthe first plce did youall feel lumps cos my thyroid is swollen and it is sore and doing strange things i feel different daily????????? good luck with your daughter it sounds like she is in good hands with you hugs from the ukxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
    KBM
    (female)

KBM HB User

[QUOTE=pursie;2790764]im so sorry to hear about your little girl i think thats worse we would rather have it for them if we could wouldnt we has she had any thyroid symptoms??? i guess the docs will test her for those every so often i have to go for a scan evry one on here why did you go inthe first plce did youall feel lumps cos my thyroid is swollen and it is sore and doing strange things i feel different daily????????? good luck with your daughter it sounds like she is in good hands with you hugs from the ukxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [/QUOTE

When I lived in New York she was being seen every 6 months to a year for hypothyroidism. I moved to New Jersey last year and was somewhat over do for her to be seen by a endocrinologist. I brought her only for a routine check up and to get a prescription for more medication. My daughters speech is very limited and she is unable to express to me what she feels, how she feels, emotions, etc. She says words but finds it very hard to form sentences. I have not the slightest idea if swallowing bothers her or if she feels anything do to this nodule. This is one of the hardest things to go through when there is no communication. Just have to go on body language, her mood, mothers intuition and overall changes from every day behavior. I thing she is not feeling a thing and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Spoke to her pediatrician to day to get her thoughts and she knows the doctor and speaks very highly of her. In fact she said it is her sons endocrinologist. Have to think about it for a while. Think I might feel better to have sono repeated in 6 months. Do you have a nodule? How large is it?
    What are you feeling?

Katie

Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

oh katie you are a truly loving mummy arnt you this really brought a tear to my eye i have 3 kids and i cant imagine what you are going through bless your little one i think its good that she dosent appear to have symtoms like you say intuisoin and going off your own gut instinct as youre right it usually is right ! it does really sound like she is in very good hands with you and you know what katie it sounds like you are the one who is having the heartache over this arnt you!
    yes i guess you are going to get sick of all this thyroid stuff did you say you are poorly aswell??? ive been on here along time and have you been on the boards before???? anyway hi from katherine and i will look out for you here and if you need to talk im here so please know this is a great team on here all in our different ways< i hope you know that you are doing all the right things seeing the docs and having the checks when needed and just keeping an eye on ti all wich is what you are doing i think you just need a little support right now you have us do you have any support off freinds and family also cos i think they need to pull through for you now its a very hard illness to work out at times and people who havent had to deal dont always realize my partner is stil so awfull at dealing with this!! lol um i dont know whats wrong yet i had to go on thyroxine but i had to come off it cos of going hyper so im might have to go back on it again???? oh i get swollen thyroids inflammation etc and pain and hyper or hypo feelings lol sometimes i dont know wether im coming or going lol anyway hugs to you and your little girl from the uk and i can see how much you love her i love my kids so much and im with you ok love from katherine from the uk (pursie)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread