It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
    aussie_girl
    (female)

aussie_girl HB User
    Re: Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

ive been on thyroxine for 14 days now and have had headaches every day since starting it and cant sleep i cant get to the docs til the 21st so im just waiting til i can ask about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #17
    gushanas
    (female)

gushanas HB User

Same here, headaches worse every day.Had the headaches before the meds though.I have since heard from Erinbeth, that symptoms get worse first before they get better, so I reckon that is it, you better hang in there with me, and lets hope it goes, it is a miserable thing though
    The other thing is I heard it is worse after each dosage increase too, so that would make sense, hope you feel well soon

Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #18
    gushanas
    (female)

gushanas HB User

My headaches did get better and I felt reasonably well, just started 100mg now and guess what feel lousy again, thumping headache and just sleeping constantly, do you think this will go away again and is this usual
    Love Gushanas

Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

My mom and I both tend to be hypoglycemic. We're managing it through diet, although that doesn't seem to eliminated all the symptoms. I've also found that when my blood sugar's low, it'll bring on a headache.

Since I'm not on meds (yet?), dont' know how that's going to change things.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I saw this thread and thought I'd jump in here for a few thoughts and suggestions.

I have been hypoglycemic for 10 years. Low blood sugar runs in my family. I was diagnosed with hashi's about 6 years ago, my blood sugar problem was a lot worse a few months before diagnosis. (I had no thyroid problem when dignosed with hypoglycemia.) For me when my thyroid is off my blood sugar is very off. Many people with thyroid problems have blood sugar problems as well, for some its high blood sugar and for some it's low blood sugar, they intertwine.
    The advice another poster gave of eating small meals or snacks is good. Stay away from sugar and foods that turn into sugar as much as possible and eat whole grains, vegetables and protein. My dr told me to eat every two hours. It doesn't have to be a meal, just a small protein snack like nuts.

One thing that I found out, and it really helps, is to take vitamin C as soon as you have a low blood sugar attack, at least 1000mg. This will help to minimize the effects it has on your system. When you have an attack your adrenals are getitng taxed and the vitamin C will help this.
    Usually when my blood sugar dropped and I'd get shakey and dizzy the affects of it would last for hours or even days. But when I take the vitamin C it goes away quickly.
    Also a good book to read is The Low Blood Sugar Handbook by Ed and Patricia Krimmel. This book is written by a hypoglycemic who has done tons of research and gives lots of good advice as well as lists of foods to eat and foods to avoid.

Hang in there, when the thyroid is more under control the blood sugar problem will be also.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #21
    gushanas
    (female)

gushanas HB User

Wow thanks so much for that, I will definitely try the vit C and the 2 hourly snacks, yes I feel so horrible when it happens, like I am going to just hit the floor, then later an awful headache, it feels truly awful and is so frightening.
    Thanks so much for your help

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
    gushanas
    (female)

gushanas HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Does anyone get hypoglycemic symptoms and headaches??

i still get the blood sugar crashes, they are horrible. on 100mg but fear i am on my way up yet again, as felt awful and all old symptoms have suddenly returned
    headaches are back in full swing too, just venting as feelin blue. gushxx

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
    Ginger9909
    (female)

Ginger9909 HB User

I dont think the medicine is causing it. In order to keep your blood sugar stablized throughout the day you need to eat every 2-3 hours (not bagels, cookies, bananas, potatoes, sodas, junk foods that will cause you to crash) things that will stabilize you such as whole grains, protein, oatmeal, non-starchy vegetables, etc... As soon as you get into this regimen of eating right you will definitely feel the difference. When you dont eat the right things your blood sugar spikes & crashes in turn making you feel hypo and giving you a constant hunger feeling.
    My 3 year old has type 1 diabetes so i know alot about this subject.

Last edited by Ginger9909; 04-11-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ginger I agree with you to a point. Yes the right foods need to be eaten every 2 to 3 hours, but the meds do have something to do with it.
    I've been hypoglycemic for 11 years. It runs in my family. I have also had a thyroid disorder for almost 7 years. The blood sugar problem were not caused by the thyroid problems BUT the thyroid problems make the blood sugar problems worse.
    IF not on optimal meds for YOUR body then yes, the blood sugar problems can be worse even when eating right. When thyroid levels are optimal (FT3 and FT4 levels not TSH) then the blood sugar problems (along with eating right) are much better. I've lived this for 7 years.

Finding where the thyroid levels are right for each person is a long process. Eating right is important but if there isn't enough thyroid hormone in the body then the blood sugar levels will still not be quite right even when you eat right. Getting and keeping the thyroid levels optimal will help greatly with blood sugar levels.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #25
    gushanas
    (female)

gushanas HB User

Thanks for you input there girls, i agree with you both. I do feel a little better when I eat properly, but the thing is i crave sweet things all the time, but i am trying to overcome this. It is really quite frightening when i get it badly, and at times i have felt almost to weak to eat so i drink something.
    does any get the headaches too?
    Been on meds for one year now, i feel i need to go up some more as i feel bad still.
    love gushy

Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #26
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, headaches go along with both Hypo and blood sugar problems. I'd suggest getting your Free levels tested and see what part of the range they are in. Everyone is different as to where they need them but for most the numbers need to be mid to upper 1/3 in the range.

Closed Thread