It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what meds can you not take while on thyriod meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    what meds can you not take while on thyriod meds?

im just wondering what meds you can take while taking thyriod meds im currently on the levothyroxine 50's but my dr switched me to the name brand as soon as these run out and i never know what kind of meds i can take like certain anti depressents too im getting weened off them soon but so far i have took effexor xr that was before i found out i had thyriod prob then i was on zoloft 50 mg and celexa 20 mg hated that med it gave me bad side effects i had same symtons on the paxil 20 mg a yr ago i have headachs everyday so i take tylonol i stopped the celexa because of the side effects and zoloft i wasnt having too much side effects but they just wasnt working but since i started on my 50's of my levothyroxine i feel great today is day 5 on them and i feel pretty good except for some dizziness but thats from stopping the celexa so should i take maybe a zoloft one every other day till i see dr on march 13th he dont want to call nothing in till he sees me but i cant handle the dizziness right now im not feeling it .any advice would be helpfull.vickie45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
    LisaBob
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaBob HB User
    Re: what meds can you not take while on thyriod meds?

I don't take any other meds within 8 hours of my Synthroid. It's probably overkill, but...

Your best bet is to do some web searching AND ask your pharmacist! It's their job to know!

Lisa

Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
    KittenPaws
    Veteran
    (female)

KittenPaws HB User

I dont know of any medication you cannot take with synthroid/levothyroxine. I do know vitamins have to be 5-6 hours apart from your thyroid pill and lots of pills interact so you should space them out accordingly. I normally wake up mid night time and take my synthroid, then go back to bed so i dont have to wait on eating or taking my morning medication. Its just easier for me that way.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

well the celexa gave me some very bad side effects so i called the dr who gave me the thyriod meds he said not to take the celexa i even have the sheet i get when you get your pills and it states in there not to take certain meds like zoloft or celexa cause they are both in the same family well i called my psychiatrist and told them and guess what they did they told me they couldnt help me anymore and i should find another dr just because i told them what my other dr said and i have no refills on the celexa so i called the drugstore and he told me to take a half of the celexa for 2 weeks then a half every other day for 1 week till i get weened off he also said that psychiatrist wasnt very professional to do such a thing to me i was seeing him for panic attacks agroaphobia and depression so what kind of dr is he not too good cause there is lots of anti depressents out there i just needed to find one that works for me it caused severe aniety severe dizziness stomach pains severe headachs and severe sweating and it says call your dr if you have any of these symtons so i did and i only been seeing him since dec what a quick he must be.and i take my thyriod meds at 6am and i was taking the celexa at 10pm and it still did that to me so if it caused all those side effects it wasnt going to work i just hope by taking the half i dont get like i did on sat i felt like i was crazy and was going to die.

Last edited by vickie45; 03-06-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
    Kezzalou
    (female)

Kezzalou HB User

Hi

I had been kind of wondering about medication which affects the thyroid meds.

I was given some strong painkillers for a couple of weeks after an op which said not to use with hypothyroid ! I didn't realise and have felt really odd ever since! I'm not sure if it is related to this though!

I take Ferrous Sulphate as I am low on Iron. I never realised until recently that this should not be taken with Levothyroxine! I now wait about 4 hours before taking it.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

My take on this is the following....thyroid medication is not medication, but replacement hormone of what your body already makes. Too much can make you hyper, too much can make you hypo, but otherwise, it wouldn't react with any medications you take. (although you should always check with a doc)

The only thing it does do, is take time to be absorbed by the body, and if you take something with for example iodine (ie, vitamins) or calcium they will compete to be absorbed by the body, so you should space out taking them.

But again, this is not a medication, but replacement hormone for what your body isn't making.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    My take on this is the following....thyroid medication is not medication, but replacement hormone of what your body already makes. Too much can make you hyper, too much can make you hypo, but otherwise, it wouldn't react with any medications you take. (although you should always check with a doc)

The only thing it does do, is take time to be absorbed by the body, and if you take something with for example iodine (ie, vitamins) or calcium they will compete to be absorbed by the body, so you should space out taking them.

But again, this is not a medication, but replacement hormone for what your body isn't making.
    so any anti depressents are ok to take on this thyriod replacements?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
    OmegaDiva
    (female)

OmegaDiva HB User

I guess so... My doctor has told me to take anti depressents along side my thyroid meds to get a better sleep pattern, I take my beta and carb together and if I'm having an anti-d, I take that 2hrs before the bedtime dose of the others which I'll have just as I go to bed.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
    lexibear
    (female)

lexibear HB User

My thyroid doctor has told me to not take any medications within 4 hours of my levothyroxine so I have to take it when I first get up and then at lunch I take my calcium, verapamil, naprosyn and celexa. He reviewed all my meds and said they were ok as long as not taken to close to the thyroid med

Closed Thread