It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Midwest...Anyone else...please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Midwest...Anyone else...please help

Hi Guys, I am sick and I can't seem to get anyone to help. Started thyroid meds (75 mcg Synthroid) and BP meds (Toprol XL) last November when I was told my TSH was 7.1. I had no appetite, insomnia, anxiety, indigestion, chest pain, brain fog and tingling in left arm. Started to feel a bit better but never did feel normal. Had a couple bouts in the ER. Once thought I was having a heart attack and second time to rule out stroke (double vision and numbness in left arm moved to left leg). Have had abdominal CT to look at gallbaldder/appendix, MRI of adrenal glands and head CT which have all come back normal. I asked my GP about running some more tests and he said I need to ask my endo about those. Endo ran blood tests on Aldosterone, Renin, Metanephrine, Normetanephrine and Total Metanephrine which they said all came back normal. I'm still SICK!!! Endo is telling me I need to go back to GP.

My BP is normal at the time but has obviously had some spikes in the past for no reason. I feel lightheaded and spacey 24/7. I'm still not sleeping very well but thanks to Tylenol PM I do manage to get some sleep each night. Still experiencing anxiety that I think is medical in cause and not just caused by my lack of medical help. I think I still have 20/20 vision but have problems getting my eyes to focus (which makes driving fun).

My TSH last week was 1.2 (.40 - 5.50)
    My last Free T4 was 1.06 (.77-1.61) tested 2/8 at ER.
    I cannot get either of these docs to test FreeT3.
    Hemochromatosis carrier with slight iron elevation 160 (10-154)

Do you think that it could still be my thyroid making me sooo sick??? I know I need to see a new doc but I've been unsure which way to turn. I've been reluctant to go see Dr. Wessling or someone in his practice as I've felt it really was an adrenal tumor or something of that nature but my tests are coming back negative. I have not had my Cortisol tested so wonder if that could come into play.

Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
    LisaBob
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaBob HB User
    Re: Midwest...Anyone else...please help

It really sounds like you still may be undermedicated - even if your lab values are in range. Is your doctor willing to bump you up slightly to see if you feel better? I am taking more than my labs indicate but positively need 150mcg to feel "normalish". I had your same symptoms and was nearly non-functional in my range.

Lisa

Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Your free T4 is still a bit on the low side. Some do well with it low and some do not. If mine is that low I have symptoms and don't do well. Yours isn't even at mid range. I think more tweaking of your labs is in order.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Thanks for the input! My doctors don't seem to care that I am still sick since all my labs indicate I am 'normal'. I've made an appt tomorrow with Cindy, a Naturopath that works with Dr. Wessling (since Dr. W won't see new patients until May). I'm going to ask to test my Free T3 and Free T4 and to bump my meds based on those results.

I'm also wondering if much of this lightheadedness is from BP meds. I forgot to mention earlier that in addition to Toprol XL they also put me on Benicar HCT.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
    LisaBob
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaBob HB User

You can have lightheadedness from being hypo too...

Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaBob View Post
    You can have lightheadedness from being hypo too...
    I agree, you certainly can, dizziness, heart palps, gastointestinal problems, the list goes on and on. Isn't it a blast

Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree your FT4 sounds too low to be enough for you.

I can vouch that hypo will make one lightheaded... BP meds can too, of course. You may have a double-whammy going on. And then... hypoT can also cause BP to be high or to spike. Hard to say which came first. HypoT can definitely cause eyes to lose focus, too. You have significant symptoms of undertreatment.

If you started Synth at 75 mcgs, and you're still on that much, I'd say you definitely need more than that.

I didn't know about a naturopath in the office. When I first called for an appt with Dr. W, I was given a date several months out, but I was lucky to get in on a cancellation within 6 weeks. Did they offer to make a date for you? Would you able to go in on short notice if they were to get a cancellation?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm hoping these are all symptoms of under treatment. I seriously was hoping for an adrenal tumor just so they could take it out and make me better. Maybe once I get my thyroid meds where they need to be and with a little exercise and watching my diet I can go off the BP meds. I never had problems with my BP before all this hypo crap hit the fan.

When I called to see Dr. W they told me it was several months out, but then offered that I could come see Cindy (and suggested Dr. W might even sit in on part of the exam). I believe she works as an 'assitant' to him so if I needed any meds prescribed I think they would come from him. I'm not 100% sure of this but they were implying that once I came to see Cindy I would be a returning customer and would be able to get in to see Dr. W sooner. (I could be totally wrong on that assumption.) At this point I'll take help anyway I can get it!

Yep, I started on 75 mcg of Synthroid in November and have been at that dose since then, and since my TSH came back at 1.2 my endo said it was 'perfect' and no need to adjust my meds or test T4 or T3. I'm hoping today they will test my T3 and T4 and maybe give me a slight dose of Armour to add to my Synthroid. I'm nervous about cardiac side effects since I've had the high BP.

Thanks for your input, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'll be waiting to hear your report.
    Hoping that it goes well and that you'll get at least as much satisfaction as I've found there!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Had my appointment with Cindy and I can honestly say I feel like someone is actually listening to me for a change. I was feeling better today and felt confident I could get through my appointment without breaking down in tears (as I have had daily crying spells lately) and I was wrong, I did actuaully let a few tears fall when going over everything I've been through! Dr. W did come in for part of the consult as well. Cindy is licensed in Kansas and MO does not recognize her as a true doctor so she acts as an assistant to Dr. W. They suggested I donate blood as my iron levels are too high. (Which is the only cure for too much iron.) This could help me feel better and help with the high BP. She also said my B12 is at a level that they would recommend B12 shots. I am at 536 (range 200-1100). I told her I had bought some sublingual B12 but hadn't started taking it yet and she was happy with that solution. I'm not exactly skinny so Dr. W recommended that if I got more exercise and dropped some pounds I would feel better and it would help my BP. Of course!!! They took my blood to test TSH, Free T4, Free T3 (FINALLY!!!), Vitamin D, Magnesium and CBC. They had a new person taking my blood so that part was not much fun! Cindy did say it sounded like alot of my issues are Thryoid related and she said once we get blood back she would like to switch me to Armour. I asked about slowing adding Armour to my Synthroid as I've heard there can be too much T3 in the Armour for most people and that the best course is to do both. She said she would rather do the Synthroid and add Cytomel but we can discuss that more later. Now I'm not sure what to do. I've heard Armour also has T1 and T2 and that it has more benefits over Cytomel. Hmmmm! She also gave me some homeopathic remedy (Calc carb) that is supposed to help my body and hormones level out. Kind of nervous about taking that as I'm not exactly sure WHAT it is!

I'm not ready to give up my GP yet and I'm supposed to follow up with him on Monday in regards to my BP. I think I will ask about putting me on something besides the Benicar to see if it helps with the lightheadedness.

Midwest - what would you do in regards to thyroid meds. Go straight Armour or add Cytomel to my Synthroid? Or does it depend on my labs?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #11
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=Heckofagal;2843995] Cindy did say it sounded like alot of my issues are Thryoid related and she said once we get blood back she would like to switch me to Armour. I asked about slowing adding Armour to my Synthroid as I've heard there can be too much T3 in the Armour for most people and that the best course is to do both. She said she would rather do the Synthroid and add Cytomel but we can discuss that more later. Now I'm not sure what to do. I've heard Armour also has T1 and T2 and that it has more benefits over Cytomel. Hmmmm! She also gave me some homeopathic remedy (Calc carb) that is supposed to help my body and hormones level out. Kind of nervous about taking that as I'm not exactly sure WHAT it is!
    [END QUOTE]

Hi,
    I'm not Midwest, but I do have experience with taking Cytomel along with my T4 Unithroid as well as taking Armour/Nature Throid.
    Cytomel by the way is a synthetic T3.
    In my experience the Cytomel didn't seem to do the trick. Though it helped my T3 levels, I don't think my body liked it much. I found that adding Nature Throid (same as Armour, different fillers) to my Unithroid in a small amount (1/2 grain) helped me the most. I also tried the Armour with just a little added Unithroid, but for some reason I tolerate the Nature Throid better than the Armour, maybe its one of the fillers, who knows. And, more than about 1/2 grain to 3/4 grain of the natural is all I can take or I get too much T3 and not enough T4. So for me I needed the small amount of natural which helped tremendously in how I felt , but I still needed a larger amount of T4.

Anyway, that is my experience. I would try to talk them into adding the Armour in small amounts while dropping the Synthroid to see how it goes over time.

Last edited by dea4; 03-08-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #12
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks DEA4, that is strongly what I want to do, just don't know if I will get them to agree. The last day or two I have felt sooo much better. I'm thinking I am on an upswing and by the time the call me back with my bloodwork I will be scared to mess with my meds. I know I need to, just will be hard to do when I'm feeling better, and it will be right around my bday so who wants to feel bad for their birthday!

I'm wondering if the B12 had anything to do with my vision. Took my first sublingual B12 last night and my vision seems so much better this morning.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #13
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blurred vision or vision problems is a symptom of B12 deficiency. Vision problems can also be caused by thyroid problems so you have a double whammy.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

I notice you are taking HCT a diuretic. Your clinician checked your magnesium level, make she checked your potassium level. Make sure you get a number. When I was very low in potassium from HCT, I had *big* problems.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

OMG DEA4 I did not know know of the connection between b12 and vision!!! It is amazing what one pill has done for me already. Today for the first time in a month I am on the verge of crying happy tears as I feel I am headed in the right direction. I had bought the B12 as I was having lots of problems with neuropathy and heard that was a sign of deficiency but had decided not to take it as I also heard it helps with iron absorbtion and I have too much iron. WOW!

Tamsin - thanks for the heads up about potassium. They did not test this yesterday but I've read about the possible complication with diuretics and have been eating my bananas and potatoes to help keep this up. (I had this tested at the ER a month ago before starting HCT and it was 3.9 on 3.5-5.1 range then.)

Closed Thread