HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Anyone in Houston, TX (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/478497-anyone-houston-tx.html)

chathamdb 03-07-2007 12:37 PM

Anyone in Houston, TX

Anyone in Houston or know of any Houston Dr.'s that worth giving a try. I have not had very much luck with the ones i have used. except for one, and he takes cash only.no insurance,i cant afford to go to him anymore. I am suffering from hypo, hashimotos, depressed,tired, dry skin, hair,severe brain fogged. I am in college and I usually make A's and B's, but im making c's and d's. I dont feel like myself.Like im in someone elses body.....strange i know....Thanks for any advice you can give.:confused:

livinTX 03-07-2007 12:43 PM

Re: Anyone in Houston, TX

Most colleges have health centers on campus. If you go to any of the U of H campuses, TSU, Rice you could try the health facilities on campus. Usually, the cost of the procedures is much less than at a regular doctor's office.

In addition, most colleges have student counselling centers where you can get counselling and therapy and even see a psychiatrist if need be for free up to a certain number of visits and then they will do sliding scale payments, at least U of H did when I was in grad school there a couple years ago.

chathamdb 03-07-2007 12:47 PM

Hi,
Im not at a University college. Its a community college, but thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

livinTX 03-07-2007 12:56 PM

Even a community college might have a student health center and/or counselling center. It wouldn't hurt to check.

Oleander53 03-07-2007 01:01 PM

It sounds like you are a student? I went over to Dr Shiver there in Houston and she was very expensive and took insurance but I felt she did no more than any other Doctor..... If you do a search on here you will find Houston Doctors that we have discussed before. In fact I think it was just last month.

Oleander........... sorry you are having a hard time.........

sparkie 03-07-2007 01:06 PM

Hello Chatham, I am in Houston, and although I can't recommend a particular physician (I am having trouble in that area myself) perhaps I can point you in the right direction. It sounds like you already have the diagnosis of Hashimoto's, correct? It sounds like maybe you don't feel like you are receiving proper treatment, or you are not feeling better with what treatment you are on. One option is to see an osteopath or holistic physician. From what I hear, they tend to treat more on how you feel and symptoms instead of strictly by labs. Now, with that being said, you can do a little ****** search and find Top Thyroid Docs in Houston. You will see a list of docs by cities in Texas and you will be able to read feedback on them. Some are endocrinologists, some are osteopaths, others are family physicians or internists, and some are GYN. I know it is hard to find a decent doc. We live in a city with one of the largest, if not the largest, medical center and here we are all searching for a physician. You may also want to try the Armour thyroid site which will have a list of docs who prescribe Armour, perhaps more open-minded physicians. I have a daughter your age so I certainly feel for you. You are too young to have to deal with this nonsense. Try word of mouth too. See if any of your mother's friends or your own friends mothers have thyroid problems and see what they can recommend. Was Dr. A your cash-only physician? Frustrating, isn't it? I hope you find someone soon, perhaps with a little more digging and being better prepared about who you see, you will find that right doc soon.

chathamdb 03-07-2007 01:36 PM

Hey Sparkie,
Thanks for the advice. Dr. A was the cash-only doc. Have u seen him?
Im 30 years old and yes im still in college. ive graduated once already with an associates degree, but im going back again. I have to keep asking myslef what am i doing?...lol...

sue1234 03-07-2007 02:46 PM

Yea, we've(Sparkie and I) have also seen Dr. A. We was good at diagnosing, but it WAS expensive paying out of pocket. Sorry, I'm also still trying to find "the" doctor that understands it all, especially complex cases. I think word of mouth is a good option, no matter if the doc is a GP. If it's someone that likes to think through things, that's all that counts. Good luck!

SHMILY 03-07-2007 03:28 PM

Dr. Arem doesn't take insurance but if the lab he uses is one your insurance will accept, you can file the insurance claims yourself and they will pay. I just filed my lab claims for the past yr. and a half (over $2000) and they are reembursing me directly. His office visits are not all that expensive, about $158. Your initial visit is more like $250.

If the lab he uses is not pd. by your insurance , if you ask him and tell him your situation he MAY let you use one that is.

I had to send my ins. company a copy of my bill showing where I paid him for the lab work, a copy of my lab results showing the same dates, + a copy of my canceled check showing I had paid. I was very surprised to get reembursed after so long a period.

chathamdb 03-07-2007 06:25 PM

Hey Shmily,

Thanks for reminding me about Dr. Arems lab info. I need to call them and check and see what lab is on my insurance and who he uses. I will gladly pay an office visit for him. He really listened to me. He did the thyroid stimulating test and my cortisol was 6, and he wanted to do an insulin intolerance test,but i could not afford it. I think i have met my deductable this year. I need to look in to that. Thanks:wave:

sparkie 03-08-2007 06:29 AM

Chatham, geez, I am sorry, I was talking to you like you were a 20-year-old, but you get the picture. I haven't seen Dr. A, I did contemplate it, but decided against it because I have issues about the insurance thing. Are you talking any form of thyroid replacement presently? It is a funny thing about doctors, you just never know what you will get. I had my interior decorator over one day and she had to leave for an endo appt. So, we got on the subject. She has hypothyroidism. She said she went to see her PCP one time, asked for a thyroid SCAN, the physician ordered it (I am pretty sure she said uptake scan and not ultrasound), and she got treatment quickly through an endocrinologist. You just never know. In any event, good luck with finding someone and please share with us if you find someone good.

chathamdb 03-08-2007 06:42 AM

Hey Sparkie,

Thats ok....if only i felt 20 years old...lol...
Im taking Synthroid .137mcg daily. I also take Lexapro 2omg and Wellburin 150mg for depression and anxiety. I hate taking meds. I have had a FNA and they lost my results for about a month and then acted like its no big deal. That was at Memorial Katy Hospital. I live in Katy. I also did a 24hour unine collection and sent to the lab and they lost it! I was so mad, thats not an easy thing to do when your trying to work and collect pee.....lol
Ive seen a total of 3 endos in the past 2 years. I dont like changing docs, but I want someone to listen to me. One doc in pasadena(yeah i drove there thinking it would somehow benefit me)she barely listened to me and when i told her about the nodules they found 2 years ago,she said "I dont feel anything" What are you talking about", I just wanted to slap that woman! So, i dont know who to go to. I also heard that Dr. R. Patel off of Huffmeister is really good. Do you know of anyone that has seen him? Please keep in touch.....:wave:

SHMILY 03-08-2007 08:53 AM

Dr. Arem uses Clinical Pathology Laboratory. You will have to ask your insurance company to send you a form to fill out. They will instruct you how to do it.

dea4 03-08-2007 09:23 AM

Just want to throw this in for you, not sure where in Houston you are but...... I live in Conroe and I see a Dr Michael Chang. He is in the St Lukes complex at I-45 and 242. He is really good and tests and treats by the Free levels.
Also, FYI...did you know you can get bloodwork done without a drs orders at a place called Your Health Lab? They have several locations in Houston and its fairly inexpensive.

sparkie 03-09-2007 06:08 AM

Chatham, I live in the CyFair area, not too far from you. My husband golfs out in Katy. I wouldn't bother with looking for a physican at Memorial City. I had a friend who saw Dr. Jeffrey Brown who really liked him, and someone else on this board who lives in Kingwood travels over to Dairy Ashford to see him. I think a lot of us on this board are searching for better diagnosticians and more open minded physicians, particularly a physician who can look at a larger clinical picture. If you see Dr. Patel, let me know how it goes. I will do the same.