It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid Level High

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User
    Parathyroid Level High

I hope someone can help me with this.
    In october i was complaining my neck hurt, dr sent me for sono of my thyroid because it was enlarged. At that time blood work for thyroid came back fine and sono said "the gland is mildly prominent and diffusely heterogeneous in texture. No discrete nodules or cysts were demonstrated. The right lobe measures 1.6x1.7x4.4, left 1.8x1.9x4.8 cm. Inferior to the lower pole on the right there is a somewhat oval shaped hypoechoic nodule that measures 0.5x1.0 cm below the right lobe and 0.5x1.0 cm below the right lobe and 0.5x1.0 below the left lobe. Impression: two slightly prominent hypoechoic nodules demonstrated inferior to both poles. Primary considerations include lymph nodes and the possibility of parathyroid adenomas. Then my dr sent me to an endo and endo scanned me again and said everything was too small to biopsy and didn't really see any problems and said he would rescan and do another blood test 6 weeks later. 6 weeks later still feeling crappy (tired, achy, anxiety, depression, dry skin, etc....) get another blood test and endo calls and said tsh is 79 and t4 is .6. He couldn't believe i went from normal labs to this. Put on med .75 mcg and felt good for 3 weeks then started to feel a little off at 5 weeks had another blood test and now dr said blood is much better, but parathyroid levels were a little high, but my calcium level was normal. So now i am going for a 24 urine to see if calcium shows up in the urine and said if i am not feeling great i can go to .88 mcg of meds.
    Does anyone know what any of this means??
    Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Re: Parathyroid Level High

Regarding the high parathyroid levels, I THINK they can be elevated if your calcium levels are low. Otherwise, if they're elevated and you have normal calcium or high-normal calcium, you could have a parathyroid adenoma. You can read about them on a website that is about a Dr. Norman in Florida.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User

thanks sue for your response. In my reading about parathyroids i did come across that dr. normal website. I didn't get to read it all but i put it in my fav's. It did say on my sono report possibility of parathyroid adenoma. I am just disgusted with all this. I was hoping after my hypo/hashi diagnosis i would get some meds and that would be the end of it and now i just don't feel like dealing with this.
    Thanks again
    Jennifer

Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User

I don't know if I can help, but I can tell you that when I was having all of my problems with my thyroid cancer, my parathyroid levels were double of what the ranges said. My surgeon did some additional testing to see if they needed to be removed and I was fine due to my calcium. I think they can fluctuate, so as long as you don't have the adonema they just watch it.
    The good news is if you do have it, the procedure is much simplier than a TT for the full blown removal of the thyroid.
    The parathyroids are real tiny. I know the surgery part stinks, but I have learned that it can ALWAYS BE WORSE. Keep an eye on the small nodules and have them biopsied as soon as they are even remotely big enough. I am ok today because of a biopsy on small nodules. Be patient with your medicine. It has been nine months for me since my surgery, and they have just now found almost the right combination. You will shift all the time. Hang in there.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

KM

Last edited by kmatthew; 03-09-2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: went to see original post

Old 03-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User

KM
    thanks for replying, i am a little nervous that i do have thyroid cancer and they are just not finding that out yet. You said when you had thyroid cancer the parathyroid levels were elevated....that's makes me nervous!
    I am having another sono next month to see if anything is big enough to biopsy and i guess that is all i can do is wait.
    What were your symptoms when you had thyroid cancer?
    Jennifer

Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User

I had absoulutely NONE WHICH IS THE SCARIEST PART OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had been very very tired for over 2 years and it was not getting any better, and I had been in for a check up and my doctor said that I was insulin resistant and wanted me to take medication to supress. He said nothing about changing my diet, so I decided I had enough. I changed doctors and she noticed that one of my counts for the thyroid did not look right and it was enlarged. Within 3 weeks I had a biopsy within two days I had results, and within a week they removed it.
    Don't worry about what it could be. Just be aware and watch it. 99% of tumors under 4 cm are bengin. Unfortunatly I was in the 1% that had cells. If you trust your doctor which it sounds like they are doing all the right things, you will be fine.
    They told me that 75% of people walking around today have some sort of thyroid nodule and don't know it, and that most of the time they are bengin.
    Ultrasounds are the key and the doctors who know what they are doing know what to look for. Just make sure you have a good doctor. If you are not comfortable, get another opinion. That other opinion literally saved my life.

I will keep you in my prayers.
    KM

Closed Thread