It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• So, What else could it be?? (lab results in)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User
    Lab Results-What could it mean??

*SIGH*
    Got back my test results today...

TSH 0.8567 (range 0.35-4.9)

Free T4 0.95 (range 0.7-1.55)

Free T3 2.60 (range 1.7-3.7)

Total T4 6.65 (range 4.9-11.7)

Total T3 92.92 (range 58-159)

T3 uptake 0.91 (range 0.69-1.41)

and the antibodies were normal too

LH was 41.93 if that matters for anything

my father in law did a full panel and the only things that came back not 'normal' were my hemoglobin 12.2 (slightly low) and slightly low cholesterol

so what in the world? could it be *just* my depression causing all the symptoms? I told myself if all my thyroid stuff cleared up then I'd go on antidepressants but after reading up on thryoid I (stupidly) convinced myself it's my thyroid

any ideas what other conditions might cause similar symptoms?
    especially the brain fog, cant focus/concentrate, hair loss, fatigue

Last edited by lanam80; 03-10-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
    bookishmomma
    (female)

bookishmomma HB User
    Re: So, What else could it be?? (lab results in)

If you can post the lab ranges you will get more help--those tests can't really be interpreted without the ranges. You might still have something there, depending on what the ranges are...if the Free T4 range is the same as mine, that's really low.

Last edited by bookishmomma; 03-08-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User

the reason I dont have the ranges is b/c my fatherinlaw works in a lab and he got the tests done for me last night but didnt run it through the computer and just wrote down all my results..everything showed up in the normal range for their lab

I'll try to get him to get me the ranges (I asked him but he kept insisting it didnt matter cuz everything was 'normal' and I didnt have the energy to explain)
    ah i'm just feeling discouraged.
    sorry to be a downer

Last edited by lanam80; 03-08-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
    BITOHONEY021
    (female)

BITOHONEY021 HB User

I'm going through the same thing as you right now so I understand what it feels like to be confused, frustrated, and discouraged. Actually, my labs are quite similar to yours too if you are in the same reference range as me so I will be keeping a close eye on you! What are your symptoms again? I wouldn't say that you stupidly convinced yourself into a wrong assumption. A lot of doctors like to throw out the diagnosis of depression as soon as they hear "fatigue" as an easy explanation. It seems to also be a common thing in thyroid issues. The problem is finding a doctor who will take your concerns seriously. Don't give up! "Normal" is not the same as "optimal" !!!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

With all due respect to your FIL, many people who are diagnosed with low thyroid still have lab results within "normal" range. Low-normal thyroid hormones and high-normal TSH are abnormal for the majority of people. Insist that he get those ranges for you, and let us know what they are.
    I'm sure we can help!

Edited to add ~ We only need the ranges mainly for the Free T4 and Free T3. The other ones aren't as important to know.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-08-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User

Got the ranges! ( I added all the ranges in the original post)

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm sorry to say I don't think your thyroid is to blame for your problems. Your levels aren't that bad. Your TSH is about at the level of most healthy people without thyroid disease, and your FT4/FT3 levels are very slightly below the middle of their ranges. That isn't low enough to cause symptoms for most people. You would have a very hard time finding a doctor who would agree that you need any supplemental hormone at this time.

Have you been tested for anemia? That can cause the same symptoms you mentioned.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User

my hemoglobin was only slightly low, could it still cause such mental and physical exhaustion?

I dont think I mentioned that I did have a baby 15 months ago..I had hyper symptoms a few months back and lately it's hypo..if it was some postpartum issue would labs show up normal?

but besides the hyper time period i've had these hypo symptoms since at least the past 3.5 years..
    what other conditions might cause these symptoms?
    hair loss
    depression
    itchy skin
    brain fog/cant concentrate
    extreme fatigue
    consistent low temps (always lower than 97.8)
    constipation
    mood swings
    dry skin
    longer periods
    diminished/nonexistent sex drive (i'm only 26! I feel like i'm 62!)
    memory loss, fuzzy thinking, difficulty following conversation or train of thought
    slowness or slurring of speech

I at least want to have an idea of what to ask when I go to the endo on the 20th
    thx for all the help!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmmm... well, you mentioned a family history in another post somewhere, didn't you? And thyroid trouble frequently sets in postpartum. And it's possible that mid-range FTs aren't your particular "normal". And Hashimoto's thyroiditis frequently manifests with an initial hyper phase followed by thyroid failure.

Do you happen to know which antibody tests you had? The ones specific to Hashi's are either/or anti-TPO and anti-Tg. Did you have those done? Were they both in normal range?

I'm not too knowledgeable about anemia, but I know that testing for it requires both hemoglobin and ferritin. Ferritin can be low while hemo is normal. Low ferritin spells anemia as much as low red count.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User

yes we have a strong family history...my mom and her *seven* sisters, plus other females on mom's side..dont know about dad's side, I dont really know them ..all hypothyroid

with hashimoto's is it rare to have 'normal' panels? or most likely something would show up?

for the antibodies, FIL said it was normal but honestly I dont know if he did the specific tests I asked for...what would it show up as on the lab forms?..i have it here in front of me but all the names of the tests are abbreviated

i appreciate the help soooo much
    sending blessings,
    M

Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
    beabonnet
    Veteran
    (female)

beabonnet HB User

Just out of curiosity - did you have any complications with the birth of your baby or your pregnancy?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
    lanam80
    (female)

lanam80 HB User

the only thing was unexplained bleeding during the pregnancy (isolated incidents, bleeding only lasted a couple days)..

everything else was normal/healthy...
    I went to 41 weeks and had the baby with a 40 minute labour at home (9 contractions total)...happened too fast didnt have time to call the midwives..at the time though the midwives mentioned i had signs of post-traumatic stress disorder..nothing official but i was very disoriented, confused thinking etc...that lasted only a couple days..after that thought it was the coolest thing ever! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I thought of that being a possible trigger but the thing is I have had these symptoms since the birth of my first daughter who's 3 1/2 now..that pregnancy was super stressful, was on bed rest for 2 months, was induced at 38 weeks, etc.

*shrugs*

Last edited by lanam80; 03-11-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Lanam, my best friend's coworker had horrible thyroid symptoms with normal labs. She was even in the ER a few times with thyroid storm symptoms, yet, all labs were normal EXCEPT for her antibody study, TPO. She was found to have nodules, had them removed, it was confirmed that she did have Hasmimotos. When I last spoke to her almost a year ago she said she felt fine but was told she may or may not go hypo eventually (was not put on meds). Perhaps someone else on this board can offer some insight was to why these nodules can cause symptoms. Oh, her nodules were "benign" but since she had young children, she didn't want to have to worry about this the rest of her life and it was her choice to have them removed. Interesting that she felt much better after. Does anyone have understanding as to how or why nodules can cause symptoms?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Names for the antibody tests and their variations may be seen as:

Anti-thyroperoxidase ("anti-TPO", "anti-thyroid peroxidase", or just "TPO") antibodies ("AB"s)

Anti-thyroglobulin ("anti-Tg" or "Tg") antibodies ("AB"s)

Anti-microsomal antibodies (ABs)

If ANA antibodies were tested, that isn't definitive enough of a test to diagnose thyroid disease. You need specifically the thyroid types done.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
    Liz1965
    (female)

Liz1965 HB User
    Re: Lab Results-What could it mean??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lanam80 View Post
    *SIGH*
    Got back my test results today...

Total T4 6.65 (range 4.9-11.7)

Total T3 92.92 (range 58-159)

T3 uptake 0.91 (range 0.69-1.41)

and the antibodies were normal too

LH was 41.93 if that matters for anything

my father in law did a full panel and the only things that came back not 'normal' were my hemoglobin 12.2 (slightly low) and slightly low cholesterol

so what in the world? could it be *just* my depression causing all the symptoms? I told myself if all my thyroid stuff cleared up then I'd go on antidepressants but after reading up on thryoid I (stupidly) convinced myself it's my thyroid

any ideas what other conditions might cause similar symptoms?
    especially the brain fog, cant focus/concentrate, hair loss, fatigue

I just read your post and I completely understand where you're coming from. I have virtually identical symptoms, have had tons of tests and no one can figure out what's wrong. Do you have reactive hypoglycemia? I do, and I think that may be the source of my symptoms. I also have numbness in my hands and feet.

I'm invetigating the thyroid angle, but I'm not sure if the source lies elsewhere. My doctor keeps saying the thyroid is okay, despite my relatively high TSH (2.54).

This post probably doesn't help much, but I just wanted to say that I can very much empathize with your frustration. If you haven't already done so, you might think about doing a glucose tolerance test for reactive hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. I found a lot of information about insulin resistance on websites pertaining to PCOS (I don't have that, but I do suffer from the blood sugar problems). Anyway, most of these women suffer from volatile blood sugar , and they complain of many of the symptoms that you have. I know my symptoms are at their worst when my blood sugar is out of control.

Closed Thread