It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone else with symptoms like mine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
    Paladin62
    (male)

Paladin62 HB User
    Anyone else with symptoms like mine?

I have multiple issues but over the last 7 years I have been narrowing it down. I know there must be others like me out there and am hoping to find them so we can compare notes and see if we can help each other.

My problems started with reactive hypoglycemia only when drinking 4 or more drinks in an hour. Then it gradually got worse until I could only have one drink withouty getting VERY ill.

The symptoms are adrenaline surges, cold sweats, severe diarhea with intestinal pains that feel like I am passing broken glass. General body pains and joint pain all occuring about 4 hours after drinking.

I stopped drinking so the symptoms went away. Then I was in a very bad car crash and for weeks after I was waking up around 4 in the morning with what felt like an adrenaline surge followed by the same symptoms as when I drank but without drinking at all. This went on for about a year while I was being tested by the doctors. They tried numerous things but it just kept getting worse. I went from 235 lbs to 180 in a year. While the weight loss was good, it was rough. I was such a wreck from the lack of sleep and constant adrenaline surges that I couldn't function. I went from riding my bike 20 miles a day when these symptoms started to having trouble getting out of bed.

The symptoms generally went away after lunch and I was fine until the next morning. After trying numerous drugs, the doc tested my thyroid and found it just slightly low and he gave me synthroid. I took it that night and the next morning I slept in for the first time in a year. All the symptoms stopped right away. Now I know that true thyroid conditions take about a week to regulate so it can't be my thyroid that is the root cause. It is just another symptom.

Recently I had a major blowout with a guy at work and my stress levels went through the roof. My temp went to 103 and my heart rate was at 140. My normal temp is 97.3-97.5 and my resting rate is 54 bpm. After 5 hours I had to take .50 mg of valium to get it to shut down again even though I was calm.

So here is where I am at now. I am thinking it has something to do with the adrenals or cortisol levels since they can cause all the above symptoms.

But does synthroid stop adrenaline surges/cortisol issues? If I stop taking the thyroid meds, I start losing weight and feel like I am amped up. I do not take ANY caffeine but it feels like I drank a whole pot at once.

The doctors have told me there is no way I would be able to tell if I missed a single dose and it doesn't work right away and it has to be a placebo affect but I tested it and proved it is not placebo. I had him grind up 6 pills and place them in capsules along with one capsule of ground up tylenol and place them in a pill minder tray. He didn't tell me which was the fake pill but wrote down the day he placed it in. After taking the pills I was able to correctly id the fake pill due to the symptoms returning the next morning. Even though I was able to correctly ID the pill, he still doesn't believe that it isn't my thyroid causing it and is now looking at food allergies.

I have also tried to take the pills in the morning and they cause issue when I do. I get VERY hot in the afternoon and litterally have a temp of 101. I am also not able to sleep. I take them at night TO sleep. It's like they are shutting down my bodies desire to OD on adrenaline.

If I miss a dose, I can feel "normal" again by eating and drinking sugary foods to raise my low sugar levels.

BTW: I had to quit smoking shortly after the accident because every time I had a cigarette, it would make me feel worse. I have tried smoking cigars recently but if I have more than one I feel very ill again like before taking the thyroid meds.

The reason I am thinking adrenaline/cortisol is because it seems to be the root issue. Tobacco raises the adrenaline as does stress. Both which cause the same symptoms. On weekends I do much better. The stress of my job does have a dramatic affect. I can't quit my job and I am looking for another job but being a boss is just stressful. I can't change lines of work because this is what I do and can't afford to start over.

Does anyone else have symptoms like this? I am literally at the end of my rope and my grip is slipping. Going on like this just isn't worth it anymore. I know I am close to a solution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
    phillipa
    (male)

phillipa HB User
    Re: Anyone else with symptoms like mine?

Paladin, Welcome! I really don't have experience with what you are going through but wanted to know if you have seen a D.O or an endo for this. Synthroid takes a while to stabilize, but my wife noticed a difference after taking Synthroid when her TSH was 22. Have you had your adreneals checked?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
    Paladin62
    (male)

Paladin62 HB User

>I really don't have experience with what you are going through but wanted to know if you have seen a D.O or an endo for this. <

I have seen an Endo about this and he thinks the synthroid reaction is placebo so he won't test for anything else. He thinks it's all in my head even though I have proven for a fact it isn't. Doctors never listen and all the ones I have met think they know everything and are always right. That's why I am doing the research myself and will present them with a solid case that they can't dismiss.

Why a D.O.? Isn't that a Doctor of Osteopathy? They do joints, backs and necks right? I do have a very bad back and neck problems. I have been in 14 major crashes. The last one was hitting a semi head on at 50+. Luckily I have never broken a bone, just whiplash and back problems. at first I thought it was my neck causing the problems but the synthroid stopped the symptoms so that made me believe it wasn't the neck.

>Synthroid takes a while to stabilize, but my wife noticed a difference after taking Synthroid when her TSH was 22.<

I have been on the same dose since Feb. 2003 so if it were going to stabilize it would have done so by now. Under normal conditions I am relatively symptom free, just hypoglycemia so bad that I literally live on sweet drinks. I have learned how to self regulate well enough except at night. I have had diarhea for 5+ years which is caused by waking with an adrenaline surge every morning from low sugar levels.

>Have you had your adreneals checked?<

I did the one test where you collect urine for a day and they test it but it was normal. I'm thinking the adrenaline is either high then low and averages out through the day or it is triggering Cortisol issues. That's why I am trying to find others like me so I can see what they have done. I met one lady once at a Dr. office but can't find her anymore. Her's were very similiar to mine and she said she tried "armor?" and it helped. I have heard bad things about armor because it's made from real thyroid glands?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

If you are hypoglycemic you shouldn't be drinking and eating a lot of sweets. You need the correct type of sugar that comes from protein. You need to be on a lower carb and higher protein diet for sure. Protein will convert to the type of sugar you need. The sweet drinks are "seeming" a quick fix that will cause you to go up and drop suddenly.

Your adrenal gland is part of your endocrinal system along with your thryroid. If your thyroid is not performing properly it will cause your adrenal surges (anxiety/panic attacks). Your thyroid balances everything in your body.

When in February did you start on synthroid? It takes 6 to 8 weeks to adjust to it. And that is only if you are on the correct dosage. Most docs start you out low and move you up as your lab work indicates necessary. What dosage are you on?

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 03-11-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
    phillipa
    (male)

phillipa HB User

[QUOTE=Paladin62;2851755]>

Why a D.O.? Isn't that a Doctor of Osteopathy? They do joints, backs and necks right?

Well it sounds like you need that too! As you will read on this board that endos are out of favor for the wholistic approach that a DO takes.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2851812#post2851812[/url] check out #5 for validation on DO vs endo

Last edited by phillipa; 03-11-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add

Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
    Paladin62
    (male)

Paladin62 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann View Post
    If you are hypoglycemic you shouldn't be drinking and eating a lot of sweets. You need the correct type of sugar that comes from protein. You need to be on a lower carb and higher protein diet for sure. Protein will convert to the type of sugar you need. The sweet drinks are "seeming" a quick fix that will cause you to go up and drop suddenly. <

I have tried the Atkins approach but that made life MUCH worse. The problem is I am producing too much insulin also. I take only small amount of sugar at a time to raise me back up. If I take too much I get pounding headaches.

>Your adrenal gland is part of your endocrinal system along with your thryroid. If your thyroid is not performing properly it will cause your adrenal surges (anxiety/panic attacks). Your thyroid balances everything in your body.<

But according to the "doctors" there is no way synthroid should have an effect the next day. And it most definitely does.

>When in February did you start on synthroid? It takes 6 to 8 weeks to adjust to it. And that is only if you are on the correct dosage. Most docs start you out low and move you up as your lab work indicates necessary. What dosage are you on?
    <

Feb 2003 so it's been 4+ years now. I have it checked every 6 months and it never changes except for this last test. they said I should take more and put me on 75 mcg. I took the pill but wasn't able to sleep and was burning up. I felt much worse so I went back to the 50 mcg I normally take.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
    Paladin62
    (male)

Paladin62 HB User

[QUOTE=phillipa;2851831]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladin62 View Post
    >

Why a D.O.? Isn't that a Doctor of Osteopathy? They do joints, backs and necks right?

Well it sounds like you need that too! As you will read on this board that endos are out of favor for the wholistic approach that a DO takes.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2851812#post2851812[/url] check out #5 for validation on DO vs endo
    I checked it out and will look into a DO.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Paladin,

My endo wants to test me for a pheochromocytoma using the 24 hour metanephrines test. I know just as well as he does that I don't have one but I read up on it anyhow. Seems the best time to test for it is during an incident or right afterwards. Two of the hallmark symptoms are headache and high blood pressure spikes along with sweating. I read that if you don't have those, it pretty much rules it out.

I hope you find your answer soon. I agree with the others that a DO might be your best bet.

Helen

Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
    Deb123
    Veteran
    (female)

Deb123 HB User

Definitely get your adrenals checked there is something going on with them. Best is with a 24 hour saliva. If you have adrenals problems it will make treating your thyroid very difficult.

Good Luck

Deb

Closed Thread