It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Wellbutrin or Adderall & skewed test results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
    IrisT
    (female)

IrisT HB User
    Wellbutrin or Adderall & skewed test results?

I read some references that dopamine suppresses TSH levels, which interests me because for 10 years I've taken the antidepressant Wellbutrion (buproprion), which works on dopamine and norepinephrine levels. Also, for the past 5 years I've taken Adderall, which also affects dopamine.

This week I started searching endocrinology journals online and came across some more specific information, including guidelines for doctors or professionals looking at lab results, telling them to be aware that "dopamine agonists/dopaminergic agents" will suppress TSH secretion and may impact the results of thyroid blood tests!

One reference says dopamine suppresses TSH secretion and is "antagonistic" to the action of TRH at the pituitary level. Another says it is important to recognize situations where TSH/free T4 levels may be "diagnostically misleading" and mentions dopaminergic influence on pituitary TSH secretion.
    Another specifically says dopamine might MASK the raised TSH level of primary hypothyroidism.

Has anyone else heard of this? I am wondering if this is why my lab results are so confusing, when all my symptoms and my uptake scan both scream "HypoT"?

I am printing out all of this info and taking it to my doctor... very curious what she will say about it!

Has anyone else who's taken either of these meds had very confusing lab results that don't match their symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Re: Wellbutrin or Adderall & skewed test results?

Sorry Iris, I don't know the answer to your question and your doctor might not either, she may have to research it. Does the literature mention how long you should be off those drugs when being tested for TSH? My daughter was going to be tested by her GYN at her last visit but they forgot to draw labs. I am glad you brought this up though because she is on Adderall. I would be most grateful if you find answers to this.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
    je46324
    (male)

je46324 HB User

Most of the research that i have read containing dopamine, it was actual doamine used, but I have also read some brief things like the dopamine antagonists may effect labs, but have never seen any research on them myself. I have seen 1 or 2 lab tests that did look funny with adderall users though, but have never read any research on it.....so this is something to discuss with your doc, are you on meds or getting DX still? Are your labs really out of whack or just not indicative of symptoms also what labs are they useing, when on these drugs it is probably best to dosage adjust by the T's.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
    m. m.
    (female)

m. m. HB User

This is something I wondered about since my TSH dropped while on Adderall. I've never been on thyroid meds but they keep testing me because I have a host of hypo symptoms.

My TSH was 2.09 before Adderall. At 3 months after starting Adderall, it was .86. Was tested again 8 weeks after stopping Adderall and it was even lower at .78. I don't know if it was the Adderall that initially lowered TSH and it just didn't have a chance to come back up by time I was retested or not. Seems like 8 weeks would be enough time for TSH to recover.

My FT4 values were measured at same time and were .80, .90 and .76 respectively.

Michelle

Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
    sarafina9
    (female)

sarafina9 HB User

I'm late to the party, but wanted to join in the conversation.

I've been on Wellbutrin for about three years now, and though I have all the classic symptoms of being hypo, my labs keep coming back normal. The frustration is intense! I've also made sure to get my labs done during my period week, to rule out hormonal birth control effecting the results.

My mother and half-brother (from her first marriage) are both hypo, and I honestly think it's just a matter of time before I'm officially diagnosed.

My doc has ordered new labs for this week, and just to be sure, I plan to stop taking my meds a day in advance to see if that will give a truer reading. Granted, the half-life of antidepressants means that some will be lingering in my system, but at least some will have cleared out by test time.

Closed Thread