It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimotos and high cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Hashimotos and high cholesterol

My husband was diagnosed with Hashimotos when he was a teenager. Since then, he's been on Levoxyl, and the dose is adjusted periodically but nothing too drastic (usually 1 step up or down). About a year ago, his cholesterol suddenly shot up quite high. We eat a healthy diet, generally, low fat and high in fiber. He exercises 3-4 days a week. Around this time too, he gained about 30 lb. quite quickly (although to begin with, he was underweight for his height, so now he is about the right weight for his height, it was just weird that the weight came on so suddenly). I have been wondering if maybe his thyroid meds are off? Does anyone know if Hashimotos can cause high cholesterol? I think at his doctor, they just test the total TSH, should he request that they test the individual levels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User
    Re: Hashimotos and high cholesterol

I have a question guys............... my cholesterol as a whole was slightly elevated but it was the "good" cholesterol that was really elevated. Is that similar to you all?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

enigmatic, my doctor did a number of blood tests back in May 2006, including TSH and cholesterol. Those were the two, of all the tests, which came back out of range (high). My TSH was 6.4 and my total cholesterol was slightly high, but it was the good cholesterol causing that. My doc was more amused than anything, but wasn't worried.

I figured it was high because I was hypothyroid and that the LDL wasn't the cause because I have stayed reasonably low carb featuring the good carbs most of my adult life. I will be curious to see how it looks next time I have bloodwork other than thyroid done.

Last edited by ErinBeth; 03-14-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

In my husband's case, it is his bad cholesterol that is high and the good cholesterol is low.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

HypoT is one of the leading causes of high cholesterol, especially when it comes to the ldl level.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi kat here i am hashis and my cholestrisl is very low on all counts the bvad is very low and the good is low it was all .llow and the over all was really low it was 2 something and i have to eat red meat daily for my iron and i have to eat blood pudding black oudding it is called in the uk ??? so work that out im not a tipical hypo though im only on 25 thyroxine and i had to go up in quater tablets ????/ i dont know if that has anything to do with it??? love from pursi i do still find it easy to lloose weight also ??>??????????xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread