It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• you need to read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User
    you need to read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello everyone and all thyroid buddies calling you to reply to this its important!!!
    there is a new memeber who has been coming onthe boards recently her name is vickie please read this story !!
    this is what happened to vickie!! she became very ill she was tired all the time and she had panick attacks she repeatedly went o her drs and was sent away with zanax and told it was a panick disorder and the blacking out spells were all to do with her mental state anyway this kept getting worse as to the point that vickie was feeling like she was going to die she slept with the phone in her hand as she thought she would have to get an ambulance! and vickie started sleeping all day and only just managed to send her kids to school she kept going back crying to her doctor to test her thyroids and he said no he edventually got sent to a psyciatrist he when hearing her symptoms immediatley tested for thyroids and the tsh was an astonishing 800 plus can you beleive this i beleive that vickie came close to death and i also doubt that many people are here to tell the tale she was i suppose slipping into a coma this has taken a year or more of her life and if the doctor had tested her when she was telling him theese symptoms and crying and begging him to test it would not have had to come to this she will take a long time to heal but is feeling much better now this has taken a toll as she has to .look after her children and her husband is working she couldnt work for a couple o years and still cant ! has anyone else heard of anyone coming close to theese outrageuose readings/???? i find the dr appalling for leaving vickie in this state it effected everything she was made to feel like she was crazy and it was the effects of the pills/???????
    i have never heard of a tsh this high please we would be really gratefull for any input and i would like you all to say hello to vickie and welcome her to the boards as she has had so much courage this story has made me cry when i read her original story and sick inside just thinking of what this poor girl has had to go through i remember having so much support and still do of you all i hope you can chat with her thankyou to you all love from your thyroid buddie if any of you can give vickie advice on raising her meds also would be great but i have never heard of so much suffering that was all so unessasery i put up that i had a tsh of 15 and you were horrified what do you make of this i think vickie was slipping into a coma please talk to her thankyou again from katherine i know ive said the same words a few times in this post but have you ever heard of a tsh like this ????? and its a good job vickie knew to ask the dr for tests thats only cos her sister had a thyroid condition !! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxkatxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ps this dr should be held responsble !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11unbeleivable111

Last edited by pursie; 03-18-2007 at 05:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User
    Re: you need to read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmon guys where are you all unput needed over here pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Pursie, it sounds like vicki is on the mend now! maybe she just needs to switch back to the original med she was on but other than that and getting off the xanax, she needs to cut that a little at a time, which I think the doctor advised how to do it,half of what she was taking for a week(I'd say 2 really) then half of that for 2 weeks,till she's down to a quarter of a pill 3 times a day, which is still 0.5 ,I think, then 2 times a day, then once a day.She's been on these a year I think, it takes only about 3 months at that dosage to become addicted,both mentally and physically. She has to do it slow,or the anxiety or panic will come back as the body withdraws from it. Sometimes, I've read, docs can give you something else not as bad to take while you are withdrawing from this.Besides Vicodan and some other narcotics, these are tough to stop without help, and are the reason some have to go into rehab. Doctors are quick to give these pills to women who complain of anxiety, which are usually thyroid related complaints. I took them for 3 months, at 0.5 once a day, and I was worried about getting off them,it just helped cover the hyper for awhile,I figured out, when I stopped,the hyper came on full blast!That's when i said"something is really wrong, I need to go back to the doctors and get some tests done!" But I never knew anything about the thyroid at that point...what a differance a year makes!!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
    mominky
    (female)

mominky HB User

Pursie,

I am very happy Vickie is recovering. I too am in dx limboland. I know from personal experience that xanax is highly overprescribed. Several years ago, which is when I think my thyroid journey began, a dr. prescirbed me anti d's and xanax .25 four times a day. This went on for months. A friend that is a physicians assistant wanted me to change doc's. I had not had any xanax for 2 days when I went in and boy was I a mess. He said right away my problem was xanax addiction. It concerned me very much. I had taken the meds as directed without another thought. The new doc gave me 30 xanax pills and told me to come back in one month and bring the leftover pills with me. He told me to taper as quickly as possible. The first few days were horrible as I was having nightmares of becoming an addict but I fought hard and within a couple of weeks I felt much better. I went back with 10 pills left and I will never take one again. There are many safer options for anxiety. I still take anxiety meds. But never again xanax. Vicky if you read this I wish you a speedy recovery. Perhaps with you dx you will find happier days.

Kristie

Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Well i hope Vicky will start getting better soon.

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid a few days ago so can t be of much advice however all my best wishes to Vicky for a speedy recovery.

Amy

Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hey all it wasnt the xanax that was doing it to me it was all the anti depressents he gave me and yes i felt terrible i knew something was wrong with me and i told that dr that i even told him i wanted off both xanax and the anti depressents and he said i needed to stay on both i wasnt having withdrawls it was my thyriods were out of whack thats what was happening to me only i didnt know it and when a patient begges a dr to help them if hes a good dr he would have i had told him my sister and 2 brothers have thyriod disorder and he still did nothing even when i was in his office and started fainting he told me it was my high aniety so finally after a whole yr i went in and told him id rather die then live like this he finally sent me to the psychatrist and the psychiatrist knew right away it was my thyriods by my symtons the same symtons i told this other dr but he wouldnt listen so now im on my meds and im starting to feel better and yes what pursie said i had my phone with me at all times and left my doors unlocked because i thought for sure i was going to die and as for the xanax the new dr is going to help ween me off those too i wont need them once my levels are right but at the time the dr gave them to me i had no idea what they were for and i sure didnt know they were habit forming but i dont know if im addicted or not cause i never overtake them and somedays i dont take 3 aday when i started on the 2 pills of 25mcg's of levothyroxine i didnt need another xanax till 15 hrs later .but i do believe this dr needs to be reported and i plan to do just that my psychiatrist said mine was 4 times what it should have been and he said i was at a danger point but thank goodness he found it im so glad i changed drs or i would never have gotten somewhat better and now im on the road to recovery a few times i just wanted to die i had to go into the psychiatrist hospital a few times because of how i was feeling i cried everyday i was fainting i was dizzy couldnt eat slept 24/7 and as of today i only took 1 xanax and that was all .so i think iam getting better i see the new dr friday and get retested april 1st .god bless you all i did write my story in the post saying my thyriod story you can check it out .
    love to all vickie45

Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
    Pursie, it sounds like vicki is on the mend now! maybe she just needs to switch back to the original med she was on but other than that and getting off the xanax, she needs to cut that a little at a time, which I think the doctor advised how to do it,half of what she was taking for a week(I'd say 2 really) then half of that for 2 weeks,till she's down to a quarter of a pill 3 times a day, which is still 0.5 ,I think, then 2 times a day, then once a day.She's been on these a year I think, it takes only about 3 months at that dosage to become addicted,both mentally and physically. She has to do it slow,or the anxiety or panic will come back as the body withdraws from it. Sometimes, I've read, docs can give you something else not as bad to take while you are withdrawing from this.Besides Vicodan and some other narcotics, these are tough to stop without help, and are the reason some have to go into rehab. Doctors are quick to give these pills to women who complain of anxiety, which are usually thyroid related complaints. I took them for 3 months, at 0.5 once a day, and I was worried about getting off them,it just helped cover the hyper for awhile,I figured out, when I stopped,the hyper came on full blast!That's when i said"something is really wrong, I need to go back to the doctors and get some tests done!" But I never knew anything about the thyroid at that point...what a differance a year makes!!
    bran,
    my doctor wouldnt tell me how to ween off either the xanax or the effexor then he put me on zoloft and celexa the drugstore was the one who told me how to get off the celexa and im on my last week with that and as for the xanax he said i needed a dr to help with that because it can be dangerous and can cause seisures so on friday when i see my new dr he;s going to help me ween off the xanax and if i had known what xanax can do the coming off i never would have took them but i was in such a mess i just wanted something to calm me down believe me i was in very bad shape and it just got worse not better but as i sit here writing this im feeling alot better today is day 9 on the name brand of the levothyroxine 50mcg's and im back to driving and my energy is coming back i cleaned my kitchen today and the living room and dinning room and done clothes and im not depressed anymore i havent had but 1 small panic attack earlier today but it passed and im no longer scared and i know getting off the xanax will be a tough road for me but no matter what im going to stick to it till im off for good i dont like taking them and i had begged that old dr many times to take me off he said if i did that id never get better well he didnt treat my symtons the way it was he kept wanting to up my dose of my anti depressents and as long as i have god at my side he will help me through this i only been on mine 1 yr and my sister has been on hers for like 13 yrs and the longer your on them the harder it will be to come off them yes my sister is hooked but she wont admit it i will admit it but im not sure if im addicted or not i never overtake and i only take one when i get real bad and i wait it out alot of times till it gets so bad i have to take one today was pretty good i only had to take one when i had that small attack and it calmed me down i did have aniety before this happened but i never had to take any pills for it but i will get better and the best thing for me to do is get off those nasty habit forming xanax.and i will do it too however long it takes i wont give up .
    vickie45

Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

thanks for your replys this zanax sounds bad stuff im also addicted to opiates unforunatley it was for pain in the beggining so it sems we all have across to bear, the most unbeleivable thing is how long this went on for with a tsh of this high, with vickie going to the dr crying and asking for help and thyroid tests so he even had a few clues and hints???? what on earth some doctors think they are god and dont like being wrong but this one is really out of order???? a tsh 800 plus has any one heard of this and vickie was blacking out regulary?????????? almost all the thyroid function had dwindled and she very easily could have died have you heard of anyone with a tsh of this magnetude/??????????????? thanks love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 03-18-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Vickie,

I am so glad that your story is on it's way to a happy ending. You are a very strong courageous woman and it is absolutely terrible what that doctor put you thru. He does need to be reported and I'm glad to hear you're doing just that. If any good can come out of this, you may end up being the one to save someone else from the same type of treatment.

It's nice to hear that you are doing better. I hope you continue to improve every day.

Hugs,
    Helen

Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
    LisaBob
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaBob HB User

Vickie -

What a nightmare!!! I am so glad you are doing better now - though it sounds like you have a ways to go yet.

Good luck to you on the rest of your road to recovery. Please let us know how you are doing.

Lisa

Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
    valspals
    (female)

valspals HB User

Hiya im Val and can i say vickie i know how you feel ,i wont go into to much detail but i was going back and forward to my doctors for about three years telling her i was ill she kept saying to me it was the menopause.this continued till i felt i could not go on my husband sugested a last min holiday to spain.On the flight back thought i was dying ,and to cut a long story short ended up in hospital where they tested me and could not even get a reading on me i was so bad, they released me from hospital with thyroxine to be taken at very low dosage to begin with and work my way up i am now on 125 and i take a half of another 25 and it is the most normal i have felt in years but i now have liver problems,and a host of other things im sure are related to the lack of hormones it is an upward struggle and i dont think i wil ever be normal again the days of feeling healthy are over i have been left with a string of problems,it has shaken my trust in my doctor and thy dont even say sorry the arogance is terrible,anyway Vickie your not alone i feel for you good luck in your struggle take care

val

Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
    Judy Anne
    (female)

Judy Anne HB User

About 10 years ago I went into the doctor really stressed because I knew something was seriously wrong with me. It was diagnosed as a panic attack. But it turned out to be meningitis.

I guess panic attacks and depression are the catchall for incompetent doctors who can't diagnose properly.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

well hi everyone well i called the main office of that dr and hes going to go have a sit down talk with that dr who made me suffer so long and yes i think id rather switch back to the levothyroxine it helped alot better today is day 10 and its making me not be able to sleep and i dont feel good at all but im so happy i called that main office cause that dr put me throught hell i was ready to die but what kept me going was i prayed to god everynight to PLEASE help me i just couldnt take much more and yes the man i talked to said if i had kept on seeing that dr it makes your organs shut down like your heart ,liver,kidneys all kinds of stuff i even told him thyriod disorder ran in my family i dont know why he did what he did but i called his boss up and we talked for about 45 mins and i told him everything and im getting my medical records for free too,but mine case was different some drs keep trying to find out whats wrong but mine just refused to take the tests for me but i will get better i was so happy when i finally found out what was wrong i though im not crazy after all but i sure felt it and i cant wait to be off those xanax what does it mean if this new brand makes you too hyper does it mean its too strong for me? i will for sure keep you all posted its bedtime for me i just hope i can fall asleep .goodnight all vickie45

Last edited by vickie45; 03-19-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
    bran the dr didnt advise me how to come off the meds i had to call the drugstore i worded my story in the other post wrong my dr wouldnt ween me off either xanax nor the anti depressents but im on my last week of the celexa and friday the new dr is going to help ween me off and yes i would much rather have the levothyroxine back i liked it better it didnt make me feel like this its day 10 and i dont feel so good im very hyper cant sleep i woke up again through the night and i just plain dont feel good i cant wait till friday.vickie45

Old 03-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #15
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hang in there vic sweetheart and keep us posted ok as im sure i can speak for everyone when i say good luck and welcome to the thyroidersxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx love form kat

Closed Thread