It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Synthroid vs. Armour

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User
    Synthroid vs. Armour

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease 6 years ago. I received RAI treatment and have been on Synthroid ever since. I have never been happy with the way I felt and started researching other Thyroid replacement hormone treatments, specifically Armour. I asked my DR. to switch me, and reluctantly he agreed. Unfortunately, I was on 125mcg of Synthroid and because there was not an exact equivalent in Armour, he put me on 60mg, which is equivalent to Synthroid 100. I have been on the Armour for only 2 days, but I am feeling almost lethargic.

Has anyone made the switch and had difficulty with dosage equivalency, and how did you resolve with success?

Last edited by jhinkle; 03-27-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
    Re: Synthroid vs. Armour

Hang in there at the current dose a little longer. I tried Armour quite some time ago and found that it contained to much T3 for me. You may just do very well with the lower equivalent of 100 mcg of T4, but the additional 25 mcg of T3 will kick in soon to make you feel better. The next level up for Armour if I remember right would be the equivalent of 150 of T4 and 37.5 of T3, and could be too much for you. If your body is not used to T3 it may take some time for adjustment. It's probably better to start a combination med like Armour at a little lower dose, see how you do, and then raise accordingly. Don't jump in too fast or you could have problems. Give it a few weeks (3-4) and if you're still not feeling better, call the doctor and let him/her know.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Red Maple; 03-27-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User

Red Maple,

Thanks for the great advice!

Since this Armour is so new to my system, I am not sure what to expect. Can anyone tell me about their transition and reactions from Synthroid to Armour?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

What was the rationale for the Synthroid dose of 125 mcgs in the first place after RAI? You didn't give much info, which leaves me wondering if the med switch was the way to go. I have to wonder if you just didn't have a high enough dose of Synthroid.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User

I had been on several different dosages of Synthroid throughout the years ranging from 118-150, based on Lab results, and finally levelling out on 125mcg., the 118 left me lethargic and the 150 made me feel Hyper. I figured although I had problems with the 125... cloudy thinking, lack of motivation, etc., that was the best I was going to feel post RAI. Even though my Lab ranges are normal, there is nothing normal about the way I feel and chose to try something different.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
    DAVZAN
    (female)

DAVZAN HB User

Hi,
    I was on 112 mcg's of synthroid and also made the switch to Armour. My doctor started me on 90 mcgs of Armour and thought that was close enough to my synthroid dosage (probably higher) - I felt better almost immediately, within days actually and I have since had my dose upped to 120 mcg's (60 mcgs taken twice daily). I also had RAI done last summer due to hyperthyroidism, so I suspect my levels are still changing. Good luck with Armour - I am very happy with the results!

Suzanne

Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

jhinkle, like Davzan, I also was at 112 on Synthroid, and switched to 90 on Armour. I ended up in the ER, and very, very ill. Since then I have discovered that about 10mcg. of T3 in the form of cytomel is about all I can stand, even though my FT3 labs show that I am below the range for T3. I don't know why my body goes nuts with more T3, especially when the labs clearly indicate that I am in need of it, but for some reason it does. I am currently at 100 Synthroid, and 10 Cytomel. I started at 5 cytomel in November, had the devil of a time adjusting to that, but after a several weeks I felt ok at that dosage. My doc then took me up to 10 just about Christmas time. The adjustment up to 10 wasn't as hard as the initial adjustment to cytomel, but occasionally (not very often at all) still I feel a bit hyper.

My experiences are completely my own though, and yours will probably be different. I'd still suggest caution as you increase on a medication that's so new to you.

Last edited by Red Maple; 03-27-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhinkle View Post
    Even though my Lab ranges are normal, there is nothing normal about the way I feel and chose to try something different.
    What do you mean by normal? What labs were done after titrating on 125mcgs of your T4 med? Results? Lab ranges? When were the last labs done. Sometimes "normal" isn't really normal, for you.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User

3/19/2007:

T4 Free 1.2 <0.6-1.6> NG/DL
    TSH 1.01 <0.45-4.50> UIU/ML
    T3 102 <60-180> NG/DL

Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Your labs show that your FT4 is just slightly above mid range and you would probably feel better if it was a little higher. Your Total T3 (they didn't do the Free T 3) is very low which means that your free T3 would be even lower. If I were you I would certainly give a T4/T3 combo such as Armour a try.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

Thanks for posting those labs. I wonder why a 137 mcg dose wasn't tried since you still had wiggle room within those ranges. You said 125 mcg meant lethargy and 150 mcg made you feel too hyper. Just thinking at the keyboard that I would have wanted to try 2-3 months on 137 mcg before adding T3.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User

No, I said 118 made me feel lethargic and 150 made me hyper. At 125 I felt ok, but I had lack of motivation, hard to concentrate, etc..mostly decreased brain function, which is related to T3.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
    jhinkle
    (female)

jhinkle HB User

Shmily,

Thanks for your insite. I have been on Armour for a couple of days. I feel kinda queasy and lightheaded today and I am hoping for improvement. I don't know if this is normal and my body is trying to adjust to the new meds, or if my dosage is off.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your 1 grain of Armour dose is actually closer to around 75 mcgs of T4 for most people. The 1 grain to 100 mcgs equivalence assumes absolutely perfect liver conversion and cell reception... which rarely happens for the vast majority of people. My guess is that this 40% dose cut may be more responsible for your lethargy and feeling bad than the switch itself from T4 to Armour.

My advice is to wait a week, then negotiate with the MD an increase to 1 1/2 grains, which would be closer to the equivalent of 125 mcgs.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-27-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

jhinkle.............I agree with Midwest, but if the 1 1/2 grains of Armour makes you hyper, then drop back down to 1 1/4 for a week or so...then go back up to 1 1/2. I get my Armour in 1/4 gr. [tiny little pill]. I don't have to cut pills.

Since Armour is so cheap anyway you may want to get a prescription of 1 gr pills and also one for 1/4 gr. until you get adjusted. Just an idea.

Closed Thread